It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Denver Murder Rate Cut in Half After Marijuana Legalization. Coincidence?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 03:15 AM
link   
a reply to: jrod

Well maybe i should check facts before responding. I feel foolish now.

I do think long term there might be a correlation to legalized cannabis and a reduction of violent crime.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 03:17 AM
link   
a reply to: purplemer

Whether it is the case or is not, those figures not only do not prove it, they don't even make the slightest bit of suggestion towards it. In fact it's a complete warping of statistics to get the answer you want, rather than the truth.

ETA: Phage linked full statistics, crime is up, and crime against people is up. So since Pot was the cause of the crime change, do you all now agree Pot legalization causes an increase in crime?
edit on 22-5-2014 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 04:18 AM
link   
a reply to: purplemer

Well your source may not prove much but this peer review paper sure does. This paper shows no increase in crime and shows that like most think it may actually reduce violent crime.

The Effect of Medical Marijuana Laws on Crime: Evidence from State Panel Data, 1990-2006

Background Debate has surrounded the legalization of marijuana for medical purposes for decades. Some have argued medical marijuana legalization (MML) poses a threat to public health and safety, perhaps also affecting crime rates. In recent years, some U.S. states have legalized marijuana for medical purposes, reigniting political and public interest in the impact of marijuana legalization on a range of outcomes.

Methods Relying on U.S. state panel data, we analyzed the association between state MML and state crime rates for all Part I offenses collected by the FBI.

Findings Results did not indicate a crime exacerbating effect of MML on any of the Part I offenses. Alternatively, state MML may be correlated with a reduction in homicide and assault rates, net of other covariates.

Conclusions These findings run counter to arguments suggesting the legalization of marijuana for medical purposes poses a danger to public health in terms of exposure to violent crime and property crimes.

PLOS ONE: The Effect of M...

edit on 22-5-2014 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 04:19 AM
link   
a reply to: LDragonFire
That's for medical use. Not the same as recreational use.

And again. I have no problem with people smoking pot.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 04:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Those opposed claim that pot, medical or recreational will cause a rise in crime.

But real data proves otherwise. Here is a another interesting study:

LOS ANGELES (AP) — A new study released Tuesday showed that when hundreds of medical marijuana dispensaries were closed last year in Los Angeles crime rates rose in surrounding neighborhoods, challenging claims made by law enforcement agencies that the storefronts are magnets for crime.

The report by the nonprofit RAND Corp. reviewed crime reports for the 10 days prior to and the 10 days after city officials shuttered the clinics last summer after a new ordinance went into effect. The analysis revealed that crime increased about 60 percent within three blocks of a closed dispensary compared to the same parameters for those that remained open.

"If medical marijuana dispensaries are causing crime, then there should be a drop in crime when they close," said Mireille Jacobson, a RAND senior economist and the study's lead author. "Individual dispensaries may attract crime or create a neighborhood nuisance, but we found no evidence that medical marijuana dispensaries in general cause crime to rise."

Study: Crime rose in LA near....

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Those opposed claim that pot, medical or recreational will cause a rise in crime.

But real data proves otherwise.

But in Denver crime has gone up:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

But saying that correlation implies causation...that's another thing.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 04:32 AM
link   

I have shown law enforcement claimed that crime would rise around medical dispensaries, I have also proved this is incorrect.

Also the op article claimed the murder rate was cut in half and this is true.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 04:34 AM
link   
So, people who were used to getting pot from a dispensary couldn't anymore and crime went up.

I'm not sure that's a good selling point.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 04:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
So, people who were used to getting pot from a dispensary couldn't anymore and crime went up.

I'm not sure that's a good selling point.

I'm not selling anything. Just showing what I found.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 04:38 AM
link   
I'm not selling anything either. I said I have no problem with pot.

But can't you see the logic in what I said?

edit on 5/22/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 04:41 AM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian
All down with the exception of arson.
Remember kiddies, make sure that sticky icky is indeed out before you raid the twinkies and fall asleep.
Smokey says,"Only you can prevent burning trees"!

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 04:43 AM
link   
a reply to: g146541

Remember kiddies, make sure that sticky icky is indeed out before you raid the twinkies and fall asleep.

That's not arson.

But it's not just arson that rose.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 04:44 AM
link   

I'm not selling anything either. I said I have no problem with pot.

But can't you see the logic in what I said?

Absolutely, It will take years of study before we can confirm the findings in Colorado, but the current data supports no increase in crime.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Crime rates may rise or fall.
Attempting to assign a single cause to either would be an exercise in futility.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Correct!
And if we hold onto this hope, just maybe we can will it into being.
Either way, the information in our favor is off to a good start.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Crime rates may rise or fall.
Attempting to assign a single cause to either would be an exercise in futility.

The authorities have claimed that weed leads to violence since reefer madness, do we have any evidence that supports this claim?

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Actually just the simple fact that Corporate extortion officers cannot hassle a peace loving people anymore simply for possessing a flower, then adding on a list of other supposed offenses.
The numbers MUST come down.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 05:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: LDragonFire

But real data proves otherwise. Here is a another interesting study:

LOS ANGELES (AP) — A new study released Tuesday showed that when hundreds of medical marijuana dispensaries were closed last year in Los Angeles crime rates rose in surrounding neighborhoods, challenging claims made by law enforcement agencies that the storefronts are magnets for crime.

The report by the nonprofit RAND Corp. reviewed crime reports for the 10 days prior to and the 10 days after city officials shuttered the clinics last summer after a new ordinance went into effect. The analysis revealed that crime increased about 60 percent within three blocks of a closed dispensary compared to the same parameters for those that remained open.

"If medical marijuana dispensaries are causing crime, then there should be a drop in crime when they close," said Mireille Jacobson, a RAND senior economist and the study's lead author. "Individual dispensaries may attract crime or create a neighborhood nuisance, but we found no evidence that medical marijuana dispensaries in general cause crime to rise."

Study: Crime rose in LA near....

Red Herring. The claim is legalization of pot will increase crime. That is the only claim being dealt with in this thread.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 06:09 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

The topic of the thread is the murder rate in Denver is half what it was last year.

"Denver Murder Rate Cut in Half After Marijuana Legalization. Coincidence?"

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 06:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: jrod
And those with vested interest in the for profit prison industry will see this and freak out.

Na if they get short of US prisoners they well just find some trumped up charges on UK citizens and have some extradited to the US to fill those empty prisons.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join