It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6 Iranians Arrested for being 'Happy' to Pharrell Williams Song

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on May, 21 2014 @ 07:29 AM
link   
People all over the world love the song 'Happy'. There are a lot of folks who video themselves being 'happy' along with Pharrell Williams Happy song. Six young adults in Iran made a short youtube video of themselves being 'happy' .. dancing to the song. They were happy and having a good time .... fully clothed and nothing that we'd consider to be outrageous. The cops in Iran found out about the video and had them all arrested. Apparently to Iran it is outrageous to be 'happy' with Pharrell Williams.

State TV - Iran Police Arrest Six Over 'Happy' Video

Police in Iran have arrested six young people and shown them on state television for posting a video online of them dancing to Pharrell Williams' hit song "Happy."

The song has sparked similar videos all over the world. But in Iran, some see the trend as promoting the spread of Western culture. And women are banned from dancing in public or appearing outside without the hijab in the Islamic Republic.

The video made by the young adults ... dancing and being 'happy'.
Also ... some footage from the cops on the end in regards to the arrest of the young adults.

Here's the original music video by Pharrell. Upbeat. Fun. Happy.
www.youtube.com...

CNN - Iran 'Happy' Video Arrests

Tehran Police Chief Hossein Sajedinia ordered the arrests of the three men and three women because they helped make an "obscene video clip that offended the public morals and was released in cyberspace," the Iranian Student News Agency reported Wednesday. Pharrell himself denounced the arrests. "It is beyond sad that these kids were arrested for trying to spread happiness," the Grammy Award winner said on his Facebook page

Iran can run it's country any way it likes. But I predict at some point they'll squeeze too hard and all these young people who are being smothered will revolt ... and then go and be 'happy' ... dancing to Pharrell and anyone else they darn well please.
edit on 5/21/2014 by FlyersFan because: fixed video link

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 07:49 AM
link   
There does not exist a facepalm meme epic enough to express how utterly ridiculous this is. I cannot understand how the mental process of Iranian authorities works, it's completely alien to me... just try to imagine what kind of messed up control freak you'd have to be to see this video and think "a crime is being committed here". This is the most compelling proof I've ever seen that our ideals and mental processes are heavily shaped by the society we grow up in. They just cannot see how stupid this is because it's normal to them. But to be fair that same concept also applies to western culture, and we are unable to see how stupid some of our beliefs are because it's normal to us.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 07:56 AM
link   
a reply to: ChaoticOrder
Yes, it also illustrates the point that we shouldn't view Iran as some monolithic society that hates western culture.

While those in power might hold those views, the majority of its people, especially the younger generation, do not. And the more they are exposed to the wider world through music, TV and the internet, the more the clock is ticking on the old guard. You can't keep human nature and the pursuit of enjoyment down forever.

edit on 21-5-2014 by Rob48 because: autocrroect

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 08:06 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

I wonder what would happen to these young people if they were North Koreans let alone Iranian. Can't young people express themselves nowadays and be happy for goodness sakes.

Makes me sick that they were arrested for just making a video. Shame on 'police' in Iran.

Bally

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 08:08 AM
link   
You beat me to it, FF!!

I just saw the headline, and went to the youtube link. Here is the entire video:

Obscene?
OBSCENE???

Those people are nutjobs.
Apparently the kids were told a friend had been in a car accident and given directions where to go; when they arrived, security arrested them.
Their parents each paid the equivalent of $10,000 bail. They're supposed to be released today -
this is according to a comment below the vid by the person who posted the video to youtube.

IranWire reached a source informed about the nature of the arrests. “All of the young producers received phone calls informing them that a friend had suffered a car accident and required their help. When they arrived at the address they had been given over the phone, security forces were waiting to arrest them.” Security forces have also allegedly threatened the families of those arrested that if they speak to any media about the detentions, their children will not be released. The source said that each family has paid a bail of 30 million toman, the equivalent of $10,000, and been told if they comply with the demand not to speak to any media outlets, their children will be released tomorrow, Wednesday.

Cute kids! Very cool! That is the tamest dancing I've seen in a long time - and they DID look happy! Youth in spring. Obscene for them to be happy.

What a messed up place. Sheesh.

edit on 5/21/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Well at least they had the fortitude to do this, I'm sure they didn't know the impact it would have with their government. Them making a video parody with "Happy" as the song and them just dancing shouldn't get them thrown in prison or re-educated...

Hopefully the world looks at this and says "WTF" is wrong with just being an all around happy person??? Other countries should put pressure on them for this action alone, I know a lot of other injustices happen but this would be a great example of people breaking free from the clutches their government has them in....

Don't worry, we're looking this through our sense of justice glasses now but this is where America is headed, any sign of not being loyal to your country or just being yourself is going to get you locked up... It happens now, just in not a so obvious way yet, hopefully most people wake up...

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 08:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: bally001
Makes me sick that they were arrested for just making a video.

They were arrested for ... in the words of the cops ... ""obscene video clip that offended the public morals and was released in cyberspace," . I didn't see anything obscene at all. I thought it was mild. But the Iranian morals police have a different idea of what 'obscene' is. Kids being happy and smiling and dancing in a nonsexual manner is obscene .... but hanging homosexuals in the town square by state order isn't. Kinda topsy turvy in my mind ... but like I said, those in charge can run the country any way they like, but I predict that at some point they'll squeeze too hard and all these youth will revolt ... then go out and buy blue jeans and make 'happy videos'.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Yeah, that govt in Iran is a fun-loving bunch, eh?

Here is another story that fits in here:

TEHRAN — Some authorities and media outlets here are making a fuss over a kiss on the cheek bestowed by Gilles Jacob, president of the Cannes Film Festival, on Iran’s biggest movie star, Leila Hatami, a juror at the festival. On Tuesday, Iran’s deputy minister of culture, Hossein Noushabadi, said Hatami's appearance at Cannes was “in violation of religious beliefs.” The Young Journalists Club, a conservative state-affiliated publication, said Hatami exhibited “unconventional and improper behavior" by extending her hand to shake Jacob’s. Others complained that the actress’s neckline was overly exposed.

Washington Post

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 08:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Rob48

Yes, it also illustrates the point that we shouldn't view Iran as some monolithic society that hates western culture.

I completely agree, I often defend Iran with respect to the abuses they suffer at the hands of Israel and the US, I even defend their right to have a fully operational nuclear energy program. It's always the leaders that are to blame... we live in a world full of sane people led by lunatics. Case in point:

edit on 21/5/2014 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 08:17 AM
link   
I really hate this song, I find it utterly abysmal. Still, I cannot find a thing wrong in the video that would be cause for these arrests.

Spreading western culture? Because a happy dance is such a horrible thing, jeez i'm at a loss for words, this is just insane.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 08:18 AM
link   
So I guess that these people are also in big trouble?
www.youtube.com...

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 08:21 AM
link   
a reply to: ChaoticOrder
We can't think of the youthful oppressed reaching out for freedom without failing to mention the death of Neda Agha-Soltan. Peacefully protesting in 2009 and shot to death by an Iranian government sniper. The video chills my soul.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 08:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: AngryCymraeg
www.youtube.com...

They would be if they were in Iran doing that. Although most of the women were wearing hijabs so the might have had their charges lessened. Did you see all the 'Happy' videos on the right side when you go to that YouTube site? Everyone around the world makes 'Happy' videos. And the people in them are happy and having fun.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 08:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan

originally posted by: AngryCymraeg
www.youtube.com...

They would be if they were in Iran doing that. Although most of the women were wearing hijabs so the might have had their charges lessened. Did you see all the 'Happy' videos on the right side when you go to that YouTube site? Everyone around the world makes 'Happy' videos. And the people in them are happy and having fun.

Ah, but the clerics in Iran think that being happy and having fun are evil wrong bad things. Who knows where that might end!?!

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Many of the Iranian people seem like very happy and friendly people. I hope to visit there someday. I can understand why they wouldn't want this western culture there. Look what it's done to us.

Oh, and I absolutely despise that annoying song. We had an equally annoying song back in my day called: Don't worry, be happy. Please god don't let this get stuck in my head!!!!!!!
edit on 21-5-2014 by Fylgje because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 08:38 AM
link   
A lot of countries do this though, so feel lucky that for the time being (for who knows how long now) we'll have this little freedom.. I remember the story where China had to pre approve all video games, which couldn't contain violence, drugs, sex, any kind of western influence or anything that would hurt their national pride IE pretty much every video game on the market except maybe a WIIU game or 2....

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Wow, this is stupid. What exactly was the big offense? Just people dancing? The clothes? I'm pretty confused here as to what they found so offensive.

My pediatrician growing up was Iranian. He was absolutely awesome, the best bedside manner I've ever encountered in my life. Your doctor is superb when he feels like a part of the family, yk? No other doctors have ever come close. He's the only Iranian I've ever met in person, though, but I hope he represented Iranians accurately. From what I've seen in online videos and read on forums, he probably was a good representation of the people.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Other 'Islamic' countries who are 'Happy' and aren't getting arrested ...

Abu Dhabi

www.youtube.com...

Saudi Arabia

www.youtube.com...

Egypt

www.youtube.com...

Lebanon

www.youtube.com...

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 08:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

The clothes? I'm pretty confused here as to what they found so offensive.

In Iran, it is illegal for a woman to appear in public without the hijab covering their face. It is usually punished by a fine.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 08:46 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

I officially call bullsh!t...

The kids were arrested because the video was considered "vulgar." This had NOTHING to do with "happiness." According to other sources they were arrested for the following reasons:

1. Islamic law requires females cover their heads and wear loose fitted clothing
2. The women in the video wore the opposite
3. And they were unveiled and dancing

Now, before any of you get bajiggity with me, it doesn't make it RIGHT. I completely disagree with Iran's stance on such things.

However, the spin that the MSM is giving this stupid video clip and the arrests makes the viewer/readers think one thing --> "Iranians aren't allowed to be happy."

I repeat, this has NOTHING to do with happiness.

ChaoticOrder is correct regarding societal norms, cultures, and beliefs. This has a lot to do with the belief side of things - Islamic law. It makes no sense, but it is what it is. I will contend that this is going to turn into nothing more than media distraction so the MSM can distract dumb Americans over "happiness" and "look how much better you have it in America" while our government does something devious. But that's never happened before.

edit on 21-5-2014 by WCmutant because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-5-2014 by WCmutant because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join