It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6 Iranians Arrested for being 'Happy' to Pharrell Williams Song

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: jmdewey60
I think the whole thing is a hoax meant to demonize Iran.

Apparently the story is very true.

These 'Happy' dances are all over the planet.
Did you see the opening clip that had the cops and the kids after the arrest?
This story is real.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
The term 'being Happy' is an urban term used to describe people who dance and make videos to the 'Happy' song that was referenced. It's a thing to do. That's what they are talking about with the word 'Happy' and that people were arrested for 'being Happy' - the urban term.

Wow, that is one of the newspeakiest examples of newspeak I have seen. Thats impressive.

Pretty ridiculous arrest, coming from a western frame of mind. Though, things clarify a bit when you learn the laws that were invoked. If anything, I did see several mention that its really all of our "leaders" who are inaccurately representing the true feelings of their people, so thats a good thing.

The issue goes deeper than that, but it is definitely a start.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: jmdewey60
Well, it is hard to tell how much propaganda we are being fed, but it does seem to be that they have laws that are pretty harsh by our standards. Clues to that comes from their own news services.
They seem to be hard on women and gays. They hang people for being gay. They fine women for not covering their faces and beat them for being raped.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

They hang people for being gay.

They hang gays that murder people. The people that were hung was convicted of murder that is one little part that is usually left out of the story.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: AngryCymraeg

Just in case others didn't click your link, I'm posting it on here for you.

This is a British version with Muslims dancing - some covered, some not.
I still don't see anything offensive. But I wouldn't be surprised if the 'morals patrol' in Britain is feeling a trifle non-plussed.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010
They hang gays that murder people.

They hang homosexuals for breaking sodomy laws

So there have been 4,000 homosexuals put to death for being murderers since 1979 in Iran?

Considering that only 5% of the population is homosexual .. that's a whole lot of homosexuals who suddenly went all murderous ... ya' know?

edit on 5/21/2014 by FlyersFan because: spacing

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheJourney
Hey, they knew the law and they broke it. They deserve whatever punishment they get.(in the annoying tone of so many here on ATS who spout this nonsense off again and again)

Noone sees the irony here? People say things like this all the time, this story exemplifies the flaws in their line of reasoning. I'd be very curious as to what they say about this.
edit on 21-5-2014 by TheJourney because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Typical of Islam.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: TheJourney

They wont say much of anything, it doesnt fit into their narrative. Unless you use anger to spur retaliation, then the lines of the narrative blur for pretty much anyone.
edit on 21-5-2014 by Serdgiam because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010
Muslims don't like dogs or pigs.
Here is what one leader said:

In April, The Guardian reported that Ayatollah Abdollah Javadi-Amoli, an influential cleric and an Islamic scholar based in Iran's holy city of Qom, referred to homosexuals as inferior to dogs and pigs in a speech.

Huffington Post
Yep, they are a gay friendly bunch over there.

Imagine if GW Bush or Obama had said that on the campaign trail at some point.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: TheJourney

I see the irony. I think also that this might backfire in a different way - these are Muslims dancing and smiling, mixed gender celebration of life. The British one even showed little kids...

one with fairy wings!

My thought being: are these Muslims trying to tell us that they ARE happy? And to leave them alone about their culture?
Maybe. Or else in Britian they're just more free via 'law'. The Iranians, though - certainly would be a different M.O., and to me, from my American perspective, it does look like rebellion (much-needed).

As I said earlier, "some laws are just stupid."
Human beings are made to appreciate rhythm, music, and dance. It's almost impossible to NOT dance for me sometimes.
Forbidding it is a serious affront to being human at all....but then again, the uber God-fearing religious don't want anyone to be happy. Loved the quote in a post earlier about the nagging dreadful feeling that someone, somewhere is having a good time.

edit on 5/21/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Western media always spins the news about Iran to their own favor by turning it to something barbaric and uncivilized ...Although I am not approving of arresting people for just being themselves,but in Iran there are Islamic codes in order,and naturally If one brakes them he/she will pay the consequences...In Iran women have to have hijab (head cover) while in public and it is against the law to appear in media without one.This has got nothing to do with happiness or expressing joy or anything like that....There are flaws in the way Iranian government runs the country and every Iranian is aware of that including most of the politicians, but could you show me a country that is completely flawless?

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   
That was really well done. They look like the funnest people in the middle east. Unfortunately women just being in the proximity of some of the men there can be blamed for inciting lustful thoughts. Annnd... lustful thoughts are a no no so the women obviously need to be punished. /sarc.

I would not be surprised if this actually did offend a few people in the area. Even though there are progressive areas, There are still places where girls who are caught dancing with boys are killed to protect the honor of the family.

I noticed they had some pretty good equip and their families could afford their bail. Probably from a more progressive city. They just got caught up in the religious politics. At least they were released.

a reply to: FlyersFan

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Just saw a piece on Channel 4 news here in the UK and it said that the "singers and dancers" have been released.
Even the President, Hassan Rouhani has spoken out in their defence, he seems like he's trying at least to turn the tide.
It's utterly ridiculous to have to cover up by law, but to be arrested for dancing and singing?? That is just messed up.

There's also a row brewing over the Iranian actress Leila Hatami because she kissed the Film Festival President Gilles Jacob on the cheek, while meeting him at a ceremonial festival, where she is a judge.

I mean WTF??

Religion... culture... whatever the reason for this kind of crap, it needs to stop.
It's just ignorant and stupid to try and control people this way.... the hardliners in Iran (much like in the US and elsewhere) have way too much sway and it's time the people started taking some of the power back.
They are in Iran and I really hope Rouhani can start turning things around.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

originally posted by: WCmutant

I am going to say it one more time - this is MSM distraction fodder for the youth and sheep of America. "Here, be outraged that Iranians were arrested for "Happy" video, but don't get involved in politics to change your own corrupt government." It's more important we be outraged by some other countries social issues than to get involved and change your own.

I hope Iranians change their government if it's what they want, but ultimately I don't care. This is a distraction!!

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Hmmmm, I'm not sure. They could also be saying, "Make sure we stay diligent and never let this happen in our country. Don't let government control every aspect of our personal lives. 'Cause if we let our guard down, this is what could happen to us." Could that also be the message here?

Kaylaluv... I believe it's more a compare/contrast scenario and less a "never let this happen." Americans are already extremely complacent. The government has figured out how to control the sheeple. They will let you keep dance, they will just continue to flex their muscles in other ways as long as the citizens are fed the FEAR paradigm.

Yuppa... It became PUBLIC the minute they posted it on YouTube. Sorry, but you don't get much more public than that.

jheated5... the lens is a point of view (POV) that each person has. Unless you are a billionaire you can't possibly know what it's like to see the rest of the world through a billionaires lens (POV). Similarly, unless you've ever experienced true poverty you won't understand the POV of a person that has. Americans have a distinct POV as "Americans." Each European country also has a unique POV. I could go on trying to explain this, but I didn't think the "lens" analogy was that obtuse.

We are all humans, but we are shaped by our own experiences, cultures, religions (or not), and location, etc. It's why there are different social norms in the Southeast of the USA than there are in the Midwest or Northeast. Iran has a vastly different culture than America or Europe does, especially since their culture is shaped so heavily by Islamic law. Please let me know if you need more examples of what I mean.
edit on 21-5-2014 by WCmutant because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: jmdewey60

IF this was a HOAX then WHY has the Iranian president treated it like it actually happenned? SOmetimes its not always a hoax.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: blupblup
Just saw a piece on Channel 4 news here in the UK and it said that the "singers and dancers" have been released.
Even the President, Hassan Rouhani has spoken out in their defence,

So .. NO HOAX. And it's not the Western Media making something up.
Just wanted to make note of that to those who thought it was.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Those Iranians sure know how to have a good time.

-Shady

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

IF this was a HOAX then WHY has the Iranian president treated it like it actually happened?
Did you find this in an actual Iranian story?
That is the only way to prove the story, that it is acknowledged by someone outside of CNN and the BBC.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: WCmutant

There is no certain lifestyle rich or poor that can't be "happy" I see a lot of rich people off themselves, I see a lot of poor with smiles on their faces every day. You can't put people in little boxes, most people experience emotion, love, hate, jealousy, etc... That's it in a nutshell..

Even if this is some propaganda piece to demonize Iran in any way shape or form, most people on ATS know enough not to hate Iranians themselves because like HUMANS a lot want to live their lives in peace like the rest of us.. Unfortunately for some people you can't choose where you were born. We understand most hate is directed at govt actions or religious ones...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join