It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tell me what I should know about 'Border Collie' pup's

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

originally posted by: whyamIhere
I would register her. You might change your mind. The pups from $1000 -$2000 in my area.

This is a horrible reason to breed a dog. Good breeders don't make any money because it's an expensive proposition. Unless the pedigree is known and the parents have been tested for hereditary diseases and conditions, you could be passing them along to the puppies.

Please read this post:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I understand and agree with most of what you are saying.

I have raised and trained Show Dogs my entire life.

I really did see a retired Champion BC yesterday.

She just seems especially nice. I would never breed anything that wasn't OFA.

I was just putting a value for OP. Never breed Dogs to make money.

I guarantee she has a Champion pedigree. I just would wait before spaying.

Give her a chance to grow up....Then decide. I never meant to imply start a puppy mill.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Actually, we have 2 cats and two Russian Turtles (large ones) and he herds them all over the place (thats what they are bred for). He has a fenced in yard that he loves to run in and we play with him constantly too.

Unfortunately, I got stuck with the job.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: HardCorps

No doubt... They LOVE people. I actually bought ours for my wife (she's home all day), but he attached himself to me. He follows me everywhere... Kind of ticks her off, I think.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   
All you need to know is they are adorable. Oh my how cute. Widdle babykins.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: BendingTheTruth

Having a yard isn't good enough. I have herders, too.
I take them out for a long walk every morning to chase rabbits and smell everything that happened during the night. And then we play fetch in the afternoon. EVERY DAY. Rain, snow, hail sleet or sunshine. If I don't take care of their needs, they will cause trouble at home. Most dogs "misbehave" because they don't get enough exercise.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   
BTW. there's a reason Rosie was given to me and my girls.

You see not only do I have space for the pup but I also happen to need a hiking partner.

So what do you think? is that enough space for a growing pup or what?

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

I totally agree... My wife babysits, so long walks in the park are out for her. I work from 7 to 5 M-F and it's my job to get our two girls off to school, so walking Cody isn't happening then either. He has always just been a barker. You can take a broom out of the closet and just lean it up against the wall and he sits there and barks at it until you put it away. Gets annoying (ALOT)...

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   
We had a mutt that was part boarder collie.
We got her from the shelter as an adult. Even grown it was so easy to teach her commands. Her "job" was keeping the baby in the yard. We taught her hand signals as well as commands. Very much a good family dog. We called her Daizy. She's been gone for twenty years and there's still a hole. You are very fortunate. Oh give her chew toys and hide the shoes. Something tells me that's going to be an issue. (Toe biter)
edit on PMu30u0441802302014-04-30T12:02:14-05:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   

I would recommend reading "The other end of the leash" by Patricia McConnel. (Not sure if I spelled that name correctly.) Basically you're in for an adventure, BCs want a job, and if you don't supply one, they'll invent one, or several.

Good Luck.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Excellent! SO happy to hear this. You will have a happy, devoted and brilliant dog! I'm so jealous! LOL

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Wow I thought I had a yard to keep. You have a country. a reply to: HardCorps

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: HardCorps
BTW. there's a reason Rosie was given to me and my girls.

You see not only do I have space for the pup but I also happen to need a hiking partner.

So what do you think? is that enough space for a growing pup or what?

I'm sorry, but no.

You'll have to send the pup to me. FedEx. @ day shipping should suffice.

Poke some holes for air and drop a biscuit or two in the box.

I'll U2U the particulars.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I have two sheep dogs, both different breeds.

The youngest is called Reuben or Roo for short. At 26 months old he has finally reached maturity [adult hood] and what a fine young man he is. He is off the Cumbrian breed here in the UK.

Roo

He is a fantastic worker

Oscar or Oscy for short, is just over 4 is of the Welsh breed. He is a rare breed having longer legs. The reason for this is because they work the fells and higher hills to round up not only sheep but goats too.

Oscy

They both have a place and duty on our farm and they do it superbly well.

My advice is let them run, and keep running because that's what they thrive on most. Open up new challenges to them, create new games, new and various places to explore. Interact them with people, share your food. They are always waiting for a command so be sure to set them rules. They love to chew so plenty of sticks. I would suggest not giving them bones until their teeth are strong enough, around 13 months.

A thing to watch out for is depression. If you fail to recognise their needs, such as not walking enough, they can get depressed and nobody wants a depressed dog

Show your love and respect their needs. Do this, and they will love you right back

Cheers

edit on 30-4-2014 by Spiro because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: AutumnWitch657
Wow I thought I had a yard to keep. You have a country. a reply to: HardCorps

I was born and raised here in Colorado.
Of course it took the wife and a just over Dozen years to get back.

truth is we just closed on the new house back in Oct. Hell of a lot nicer here than it was living in a crappy little Apt in Wichita KS

Don't ask what the house cost--- lets just say after I die my corpse will still be making payments to the bank(s)

But this home, and now we're back to stay!

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Spiro

Gorgeous animals! And so happy you know how important it is to meet a dog's needs.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Tell ya what...
I'll let you work out the details with my daughter's.

Just a heads up--- Their old man is an Ex Marine and I've had both my little darlings in Aikido training since they were five.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: HardCorps
a reply to: beezzer

Tell ya what...
I'll let you work out the details with my daughter's.

Just a heads up--- Their old man is an Ex Marine and I've had both my little darlings in Aikido training since they were five.

LOLZ

I'm sure they'll be happy with their new pup.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   
One thing you can do, when the baby is a little older, is when you take her for walks, put a doggie back-pack on her with some weight on it. That will make the walk more like work for it. All dogs need good DAILY exercise (being put in the yard isn't exercise, even if they run in circles around it), of at least a couple hours.

They also need mental stimulation- especially on those days when it's not possible to go out and play/exercise. You can use a search engine to find ideas of good games to play to stimulate their mind and body. You can incorporate mental and physical discipline into these games to reinforce good habits and training.

You should also start watching some Cesar Milan. So far, he's one of the best people I've seen for working with dogs. He trains YOU while he teaches you to work with your dog. He seems to really understand dogs personalities.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Thanks for sharing--- really cool.

I'm not a rancher/sheeper but I do spend a good part of my day, nearly every day out in the back country.

Once summer comes the family (pup included) will be spending time hiking fishing and generally exploring the high alpine Mesa Verde National Park!

Lots of open places to run and explore and two little girls that are just head over heels in love with that pup

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

Gorgeous animals! And so happy you know how important it is to meet a dog's needs.

Thank you, thank you very much

I never got the chance to comment your dogs in an other thread [the horrible thread] so let it be known yours are equally if not more stunning animals indeed

Cheers.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join