It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Byron Smith gets life sentence for murdering Little Falls teens

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 02:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: LadyJae
A verdict has been reached by the jury. Byron Smith has been found guilty of all charges and sentenced to life without parole.

I hope this brings closure to the families and allows the community to return to some semblance of peace.

LITTLE FALLS — A Morrison County jury found Byron Smith guilty of premeditated murder.

The jury of six men and six women deliberated for about three hours Tuesday in deciding that fate of the 65 year old Smith, who shot 18-year-old Haile Kifer and 17-year-old Nick Brady after they broke into his home on Thanksgiving Day in 2012.

Byron Smith gets life sentence....

the only threat to the peace of the community was on the part of the burglars that he shot, they had been terrorizing that community for a long time, it is hard to believe otherwise that if this man had not opened his mouth or recorded audio of the incident he would not have been convicted in this case, freedom of speech? not so much.

freedom to defend yourself from intruders into your home who have broken in many times before? only if you shut your mouth, speak rude comments after doing so and your going to jail.

so this man ended the life of two repeat burglars, and because he had no remorse for doing so his life must also be ended, sounds like revenge for the burglars, not justice.
edit on 4/30/14 by pryingopen3rdeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 03:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: buni11687
a reply to: LadyJae

Im glad he's gone for life. What he did wasn't self defense/stand your ground/castle doctrine...

If he would have just shot the intruders and called the cops, it would be a different story. Instead, he plays around with the dead bodies, walks up to the dying girl and shoves a revolver under he chin and executes her, and also doesn't call the cops for a day after the killings.

hadnt heard of any of that, i hate how media so often excludes details, ive read three articles on this situation already and none of those details were mentioned,

i support him shooting burglars into his home,

i dont support shooting someone identified as unarmed and not a threat especially also injured, but i also dont support a life sentence against him, community service would be much more beneficial to the community then shoving him in a cell and forcing the tax payers to keep him alive for the rest of his life.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 03:49 AM
link   
He should have brought a bigger caliber gun, then it wouldn't have been an issue really. No need to shoot them in the head if half their torso is gone with the first shot. Then again his other guns were stolen in an earlier burglary if I recall correctly.
edit on Wed, 30 Apr 2014 03:51:17 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 06:30 AM
link   
a reply to: torque

I agree with you, torque. However, there is a thin line between self-defense and homicide. It was the way Mr. Smith handled the aftermath of the shootings that convinced the jury he was guilty of murder.

J

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 06:40 AM
link   

BLOODY GOOD SHOW!!!!

Byron Smith got exactly what he deserved.

Let this be a lesson for all the vigilantes in this and the other thread who stated that they would have done exactly the same thing as Smith - being execution of two already incapacitated intruders. If you go beyond just defense of your self and home, and enter into the realm of vigilantism and revenge, then you will be punished accordingly.

edit on 30/4/2014 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 06:42 AM
link   
a reply to: pryingopen3rdeye

the only threat to the peace of the community was on the part of the burglars that he shot, they had been terrorizing that community

The peace I was speaking of had to do with the peace within the community members. Neighbor vs neighbor isn't a good way to live either. The neighbors are as divided over these shootings as we, here at ATS, are.

freedom to defend yourself from intruders into your home who have broken in many times before? only if you shut your mouth, speak rude comments after doing so and your going to jail.

Mr. Smith's comments went far beyond being "rude", pryingopen. Those comments were cold and callous. Since I wasn't there to hear them, I'm not going to presume to know Mr. Smith's frame of mind when he spoke them.

sounds like revenge for the burglars, not justice.

It appears the trial was a fair one with all the evidence submitted for review. I have no doubt that the age of the burglars came into play.

J

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 06:50 AM
link   
a reply to: pryingopen3rdeye

hadnt heard of any of that, i hate how media so often excludes details, ive read three articles on this situation already and none of those details were mentioned,

If you're interested, the link will take you to full coverage of the trial including transcripts of the audio tape:

Full Coverage: Little Falls Shooting

J

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 06:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Kryties

Let this be a lesson for all the vigilantes in this and the other thread who stated that they would have done exactly the same thing as Smith

It is my hope that none of us are put into a situation where we have to find out just how far we'll go.

J

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Some wise words from the Morrison County Sheriff:

After the verdicts, Morrison County Sheriff Michel Wetzel implied that some watching the case had turned it into something it wasn’t.

“This isn’t a case about whether you have the right to protect yourself in your home. You very clearly do. That’s a given,” Wetzel said.

“Rather, this was a case about where the limits are, before and after a threat to you or your home occurs. In this case, a jury decided there are limits and they decided where they are.”

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Kryties, I respectfully submit that there is not one among us who can say unequivocally what we will or will not do in a situation until we are actually in that situation.

I like to think that I could have handled the situation with more mercy. But that's just it: I like to think I would; I can't say with certainty that mercy will play a part in every situation I face. Does that make sense?

I'm satisfied that the trial was fair and the verdict was reached by a panel of his peers.

J

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 07:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: LadyJae

Kryties, I respectfully submit that there is not one among us who can say unequivocally what we will or will not do in a situation until we are actually in that situation.

I like to think that I could have handled the situation with more mercy. But that's just it: I like to think I would; I can't say with certainty that mercy will play a part in every situation I face. Does that make sense?

I certainly wouldn't execute already incapacitated and dying teenagers. Full Stop. Period. I have enough self control, regardless of the situation, to know where the line is and NOT to cross it.

I'm satisfied that the trial was fair and the verdict was reached by a panel of his peers.

As am I

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 07:31 AM
link   

GRAPHIC WARNING

Audio from Little Falls shooting scene - Star Tribune

At this link is a short clip of some of the audio recorded that night at Byron Smiths house. In it, we hear the shots fired at both teenagers, the groans and screams, the insults from Smith and also the dragging of the tarp. DO NOT LISTEN if you have trouble sleeping, I normally don't and I don't think I'll sleep for a week after hearing it.

After listening to this, if I already wasn't before, I most certainly am now totally convinced the jury made the right decision.

EDIT TO ADD: The newspaper removed the original link, which was only a few minutes long, and replaced it with a much longer clip, almost 30 minutes. I have updated the link in this post.

edit on 30/4/2014 by Kryties because: Updated URL

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Good, a savage murder is off for good.

Defending one's home is one thing....

but playing the house like its jungle in Vietnam, laying traps and killing wounded, almost dead victims that gasping for air in a execution style. i don think so.

*hope in some american justice returns*

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 07:48 AM
link   

God that is disgusting, especially the girl.

To think ATS members defended such actions.

That is no defence.

edit: i dont know why i watched the video, the girl's whimpering gonna get stuck in my head for a while.
edit on 4/30/2014 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

edit on 4/30/2014 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 07:49 AM
link   

After listening to this, if I already wasn't before, I most certainly am now totally convinced the jury made the right decision.

Thank you for the link, Kryties. I couldn't find it. Now I wish I hadn't listened to it.

It was the transcript of this tape that changed my mind about how Mr. Smith handled the shootings.

J

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 07:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: luciddream

God that is disgusting, especially the girl.

To think ATS members defended such actions.

That is no defence you morons.

Agreed. Thinking back to some of the comments some posters made in the other thread really leaves a rancid taste in my mouth. Anyone who tries to defend this monster Smith after listening to that audio should really seek professional psychiatric help.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 07:56 AM
link   
a reply to: luciddream

While I understand and agree with your sentiments, lucid, I would ask that we not resort to name-calling. When that begins, it has a snowball effect and a discussion quickly turns into an argument. It isn't my wish to argue with anyone or to be drawn into another's argument.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 08:06 AM
link   
a reply to: LadyJae

Sorry fixed my post.

Wow they removed the audio clip.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 08:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: luciddream

Wow they removed the audio clip.

Hmm, yes it seems they did.

I'll see if I can find another link.