It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Byron Smith gets life sentence for murdering Little Falls teens

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 05:23 PM
link   
A verdict has been reached by the jury. Byron Smith has been found guilty of all charges and sentenced to life without parole.

I hope this brings closure to the families and allows the community to return to some semblance of peace.

LITTLE FALLS — A Morrison County jury found Byron Smith guilty of premeditated murder.

The jury of six men and six women deliberated for about three hours Tuesday in deciding that fate of the 65 year old Smith, who shot 18-year-old Haile Kifer and 17-year-old Nick Brady after they broke into his home on Thanksgiving Day in 2012.

Byron Smith gets life sentence....

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Mutiple victim,

Fed up, tired of being a victim.

Does not retreat, and instead prepares defenses for the intruders...

Im sorry, you come in my home to do me harm I will respond.

If I am a frail old man at the time, I might plan well in advance for such scenarios.

Smith was living in fear after repeated break-ins to his home and an adjacent property in the weeks before the late November killings.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: benrl

Sorry, benrl, I couldn't get the page to load so I could reply.

There are some things I don't like to think I'd do, though, such as shooting an incapacitated person or taunting someone who is dying.

The town has been divided (just like those of us here) over just how far he should have gone. So even though the verdict has been cast, the consequences will be around for some time.

...a town on edge...

J

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   
This is the verdict that I expected, it really seemed premeditated.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: LadyJae

Im glad he's gone for life. What he did wasn't self defense/stand your ground/castle doctrine...

If he would have just shot the intruders and called the cops, it would be a different story. Instead, he plays around with the dead bodies, walks up to the dying girl and shoves a revolver under he chin and executes her, and also doesn't call the cops for a day after the killings.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 05:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Elton
This is the verdict that I expected, it really seemed premeditated.

As did I, Elton.

J

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: buni11687

If he would have just shot the intruders and called the cops, it would be a different story.

You're right, buni. It was the way he handled the aftermath that sealed his fate.

J

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 07:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: LadyJae

originally posted by: buni11687

If he would have just shot the intruders and called the cops, it would be a different story.

You're right, buni. It was the way he handled the aftermath that sealed his fate.

J

That and the audio tape. Him telling the kid your dying then shooting the kid was a execution style shooting.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   
much like others would and have said regarding haile and nick - he got what he deserved.

don't think i'd have a problem shooting someone who broke into my home and caused me to fear for my safety/my life, but, and at the same time, i don't think i would shoot someone doing so and then roll their body onto a tarp, drag them to a different room and place 'a good, clean kill shot' to end their suffering either.

he got what he deserved.

???

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 07:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

That and the audio tape. Him telling the kid your dying then shooting the kid was a execution style shooting.

I agree, buster. I think the audio tape was actually the deciding factor in the verdict.

J

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: 12m8keall2c

I said before that I wouldn't hesitate to use my weapon against someone threatening me and/or my family. I haven't changed my mind about that at all.

In my mind, though, there is a big difference between self-defense and slaughter. Not being there to witness the shooting, I have no way of knowing whether Mr. Smith was pushed beyond his mental boundaries or was more intent on revenge than self-defense.

When is enough...enough?

J

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   
It's interesting how the thread about the opening statements in this trial blew up, with a ton of people framing Byron Smith as some sort of hero..

Now that justice has been served all is silent.

I also find it interesting that people latched on to the "frail old man" argument here on ATS and just.. rolled with it.

Proof positive that a cult of personality is more important to many than facts and logic.

I'm glad to see justice being served.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: TinkerHaus

I'm glad that we have a judicial system in place that allows all available evidence (in most cases) to be examined before a verdict is decided by a jury of one's peers.

Being a "frail old" woman, I can't help but think "There but for the grace of God go I."

J

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Arm yourself and hope to God you don't have to defend yourself. If you ever do, exercise good judgment and restraint when appropriate.

This guy was by no means "frail."

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 07:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinkerHaus

Arm yourself and hope to God you don't have to defend yourself. If you ever do, exercise good judgment and restraint when appropriate.

This guy was by no means "frail."

I am armed, Tinker, and I pray I never have to use my weapon. However, if I must, I most certainly will. I have little ones here whose lives are far more important to me than my own. I have to hope that restraint will be in my reach.

J

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Outstanding. I hope his life inside is short, hard and horrible. I also hope he sees the faces of those two kids, and especially the girl, every night that nature has deemed he has left.

Many folks see this as defense..but defense doesn't include premeditation. Defense absolutely never includes laying in wait or ambush..and he was both. Defense absolutely cannot tolerate the conduct of 'coup de gras' shots to the head or 'mercy shots' to a kid, gasping what was likely her last minutes or hours anyway. She didn't have to get popped like a downed animal.

If this guy had done it a bit different, he'd have been lauded as an example of home defense concepts done right. He didn't though. He committed felony murder. Twice. It's a shame he didn't get the death penalty. He could have gotten a small taste of what the girl felt, if she still had awareness, while realizing she was alive ...wouldn't be much longer...and absolutely nothing in heaven or earth could stop the man from what he did to her last.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: TinkerHaus

I think that's an easy balance to find. It's worked for me in my life so far.

Simply enter every possibly bad situation with the sincere and heart felt desire to see no one hurt, much less killed. At the same time, know that seeing that true to yourself is just a bit MORE important than it is to anyone else who challenges it.

Should see folks through without doing what this guy did, IMO.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Wrabbit2000

He will never see outside prison walls again. For all intents and purposes, he was given the death penalty.

Judge Douglas Anderson handed down concurrent life sentences, saying “a life sentence is indeed just that.” It’s life without the possibility of parole.

J

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: benrl
Mutiple victim,

Fed up, tired of being a victim.

Does not retreat, and instead prepares defenses for the intruders...

Im sorry, you come in my home to do me harm I will respond.

If I am a frail old man at the time, I might plan well in advance for such scenarios.

Smith was living in fear after repeated break-ins to his home and an adjacent property in the weeks before the late November killings.

Your response tells me that you haven't had a chance to read the transcripts of the recording. I give you enough credit to think that you would have shot them in self defense and then called 911 once they were down. I can even see you applying pressure to one of their wounds while waiting for the ambulance. I can even see you visiting the two kids in the hospital later in hopes of seeing signs of two completely changed kids. Your actions, if they lived, would probably save their lives because they would never break into another house again and get shot by some madman.

What I don't see you doing is shooting them both and then calling the girl horrible names. When she calls for her cousin who's obviously hurt, I don't see you shooting him again just to terrify her. I also don't see you continuing to taunt her up until the moment you execute that kid with a round to the face.

That's the difference.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Yeah.. You're right. Especially now I suppose, where it literally costs more in process to kill someone for a Capital crime than it does to hold them for life with 3 hots and a shelter to eat them in. He's a bit elderly too so I suppose it won't be a long issue either way.

Did I mention I really dislike what this guy did? lol...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join