It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Charles Barkley on NBA: 'We are a black league. We are a black league"

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
Again, the details are irrelevant.

The details are very relevant.

If you don't see the difference in the statements... I think you're looking for something to be pissed about.

If you don't see a problem with Charles Barkley's public statement but do with just the Clippers owners private statements, then I think you are just seeing what you want to see.

Oh .. and I'm not 'pissed' ... I"m just having a discussion.

edit on 4/28/2014 by FlyersFan because: fixed quote

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

He chose one word wrong, but that is enough to change it around by some people.

He could have said..

“We cannot have an owner discriminating against a league that––we’re a majority of black players, Ernie, black players.”

"Black League" would put off a Black Panther alert for some people.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Basketball is a black sport tho... Don't see anything wrong with anybody stating the obvious and being truthful?

I don't know many people with an interest in the sport other than black Americans and some wannabe black teenagers

The Asians love the ping pong

The Indians love the cricket

Although they don't have there roots as a sport in those countries they have embraced it as a national sport or cultural sport

edit on 28-4-2014 by TritonTaranis because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 09:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueMessiah
All he was saying was that the NBA is a predominately black league (which is true)

That's different then calling something 'a black league, a black league'.
That denotes exclusivity.
If Barkley wanted to say 'predominately black' ... he would have done so.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 09:32 AM
link   
This whole thing runs deeper than what you see and hear on the surface.
They tried to set up Clive Bundy making racist statements and got caught...but they don't care, they just keep plowing along because they need a distraction..."people are stupid they won't see what we are doing..we need to get some old white guy making statements we can all jump on and pump through our propaganda centers and roll out prominent black celebrities to push the meme hard so the brain dead masses will jump on board because no one want's to be left out.
This is just another example of a pure physcological operation using race as a distraction.Just more of the divide and conquer agenda. Funny how all of the Obama bots have been pretty silent as they watch their glorious God lead us into a world war.. yet they jump all over this like it's the worst tragedy ever.
Yet another complete manipulation of reality coming out of the U.S.
What a shock.....

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 09:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi
a reply to: FlyersFan

Hmmmm. If Barkley considers the NBA a "black league" just based off the population numbers then the U.S.A. is a white country. (77.9%) Try saying that and not be accused of being a racist.

U.S.A. is a white country

It is and many assume it is.

News to you?

Were you ever told to "go back to your country?"

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   

If Barkley considers the NBA a "black league" just based off the population numbers then the U.S.A. is a white country. (77.9%) Try saying that and not be accused of being a racist.

I suppose we could get on FACEBOOK and send him a message and ask him.

Wonder how that would go over. (I can guess).

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Hmmmm. If Barkley considers the NBA a "black league" just based off the population numbers then the U.S.A. is a white country. (77.9%) Try saying that and not be accused of being a racist.

It depends on if one were to differentiate between whether you're talking about sheer number or in terms of power. If it's terms of power then you're asking for it. If it's sheer number then no prob.
edit on 28-4-2014 by TrueMessiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   

They are both racists comments in my opinion but you are doing exactly what the media wants you to do by making a big deal out of this...the race pimps are at work and the gullible keep falling for it.

Don't get me wrong, the race issue is a serious topic but we should not interpret a couple knucklehead's statements as if they are speaking on behalf of everyone in said group.

We need unity not more division and all these media firestorms do not help at all as all they do is cause more hate and unrest. We need to stop letting the words of a few idiots become such a fiasco.

link   

originally posted by: luciddream

And Bundy chose a word or two wrong .. and that was enough to set a few people off as well. So to answer the question ... I guess we'll put you in the 'it's not racist' for Barkley to have said it side, right?

link   
Yes America is a white country always has been since it's creation of European settlers

Blacks where bought there as slaves

Let's be honest here for Christ sakes

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Corruption Exposed
They are both racists comments in my opinion but you are doing exactly what the media wants you to do by making a big deal out of this...the race pimps are at work and the gullible keep falling for it.

Which is why I put the part at the bottom of the opening post ... .
and then the part about it being a distraction ....

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 09:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan

And Bundy chose a word or two wrong .. and that was enough to set a few people off as well. So to answer the question ... I guess we'll put you in the 'it's not racist' for Barkley to have said it side, right?

Bundy said more than one word or two. He ranted about it, in sentences.

The majority of the world will not see this as "racist" because they would think he is talking about basketball being a black sport, just like hockey being a white sport.

I think it would take heavy manipulation to even bring this to Bundy's level.

Which is think will not happen.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 09:40 AM
link   

I think it would take heavy manipulation to even bring this to Bundy's level.
Which is think will not happen.

Of course it won't get the same outrage as the Bundy statements. Bundy is white. Barkley is black. So is Jay Z. Neither of them will get 'the scrutiny' by folks for fear of being labeled 'racist' for daring to point out when a black person makes a racist statement.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
a reply to: Grambler
There is a difference between saying ... 'the majority of players are black' (which is true, 78% are) ... and saying 'this is a black league, this is a black league' ... doubling down like that. The two have different meanings. One is a factual statistic (the majority of players are black) ... the other reeks of exclusivity based on race. Remember the separate 'negro leagues' ??... The NBA being a 'black league' would be a modern day exclusivity reversal of that ...

Maybe he just has poor command of the English language. But considering he's an announcer on TV ... you'd think he'd be speaking exactly what he means ... ya' know??

But the negro leagues formed because they weren't allowed in the professional leagues. In no way is Barkly saying whites aren't welcome. Maybe you think his word choice was bad, but come on, you can't believe he was actually trying to say other races shouldn't be in the league.

We shouldn't judge people on poor choice of words, we should judge them on there intent.

Sterling actually made comments against black people. How can you compare the two?

And again, as I posted before Larry Bird whom is white said it will always be a black mans game, and went further to say blacks are the worlds greatest athletes. I assume you find problems with his comments also?

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Of course it won't get the same outrage as the Bundy statements. Bundy is white. Barkley is black

You used the race card!!!
edit on 4/28/2014 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

link   
I just saw Barkley on the news saying that
My first thought
Does that make Sterling a slave owner then?
All them black league players working for 'the man'

Best stinking payed slaves ever!
I wanna be a slave!
Please?

link   

originally posted by: TritonTaranis
Basketball is a black sport tho... Don't see anything wrong with anybody stating the obvious and being truthful?

I don't know many people with an interest in the sport other than black Americans and some wannabe black teenagers

The Asians love the ping pong

The Indians love the cricket

Although they don't have there roots as a sport in those countries they have embraced it as a national sport or cultural sport

Hmmm...basketball is a black sport?
Invented by a white guy.
Is that why there is a European League?
The Chinese and North Korea are getting into it as well.

What color would baseball be? It has an enthusiastic crowd in the US, Japan, and a few other places like the Dominican republic.

Aren't there quite a few cricket teams in the UK and Australia?

Sports have no color. They are simply games people play.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   

You missed my point...

Anyways, I do agree with some a lot of what you said but for me it's really not an issue.

I need to elaborate on my previous point as Charles Barley's statements did have some truth to them statistically speaking but were in poor taste in my opinion but I am not the censor police so he can say whatever he wants...same with the Clippers owner...I don't have to agree with it but I'm not going to get all bent out of shape over a couple morons who don't know how to think twice before they speak.

As for other people saying "it's only racism if you're white" I see where these people are coming from but from what I can see this is not the case. I see non white bigots/racist getting complained about quite often too...it's just the media and their overlords who push the race agenda prefer to focus only on certain cases to forward their agenda.

Sadly these threads usually bring the worse out of a lot of people as it gives them an outlet to spew racism in a "politically correct" way (not you FF but others that I have noticed).
edit on 4/28/2014 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   
As a white NBA fan, who's watched the sport for a very long time, I have zero problem with what Barkley said. He was being honest and the truth of it is that the NBA is dominated by african-american players. Both by star power and by % in the league. I think people are a little too PC nowadays...

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join