It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did we spot, and photograph, a Bald Eagle in Phoenix today?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

it can't be an osprey - the bird has an all dark head

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by aynock

Don't immature ospreys, like immature bald eagles, both have darker heads than their mature counterparts?

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 09:30 PM
link   

fenian8
I will put my neck on the line as a seasoned ornithologist and say that the bird in the picture is definatley an Osprey.

The Reach 11 Steward said that he can't remember the last time anyone mentioned an osprey in this part of the desert. But… you never know.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Arbitrageur
reply to post by aynock

Don't immature ospreys, like immature bald eagles, both have darker heads than their mature counterparts?

This is my guess also. Seems odd to have such white torso feathers if a golden eagle. And maybe smaller. IDK.
Cool you caught a gander.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 04:41 AM
link   

Arbitrageur
reply to post by aynock

no - with osprey the only difference with adult plumage is white fringes to the wing feathers

osprey is a bird i've seen a lot (and photographed - e.g. the picture to the left of this post)

for those still suggesting osprey, google osprey images - it's not an osprey

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 05:17 AM
link   

aynock
no - with osprey the only difference with adult plumage is white fringes to the wing feathers

osprey is a bird i've seen a lot (and photographed - e.g. the picture to the left of this post)

for those still suggesting osprey, google osprey images - it's not an osprey
The crown of the adult osprey looks whiter to me, and the description of the adult mentions a white crown, whereas the description of the juvenile doesn't, because it's not white:

www.allaboutbirds.org...

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

i can see extensive white on the heads of both immatures shown - in the op's pics the bird has an all dark head

if the pictures are shown to someone who knows about north american raptors they will be able to id it (or narrow it down to a couple of species) - i can only repeat: birdforum is the best resource - if these pics were posted there, the op would have three or four expert opinions within an hour - imo nobody will suggest osprey

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

That is definitely a Red Tail Hawk. I have lived in the Phoenix area all my life and seen plenty of them to know one when I see one.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I'll join the hawk crowd. They're common and large. It isn't a Bald Eagle.

Not to say migrating avians or the occasional traveler doesn't pass through AZ... I had a huge bird of prey with a nearly 3 ft body and wings that made it look like a Cesna roost in my straggly mesquite tree one morning ... nearly broke the tree and traumatized the neighborhood cats and my best guess was an Osprey... but the usual raptor sightings are of hawks.

Cool sighting, nevertheless.

ETA but the long legs and head shape make me realize why you were puzzled ... but I still doubt Bald Eagle despite them increasing in population... Golden Eagles are local to AZ ... but hawks are all over and can grow darned big.

edit on 4/15/2014 by Baddogma because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Looks a lot like an adolescent bald eagle, and the size doesn't disprove that, because they are as big as their parents by 6 weeks old. Also, they like to nest near rivers. Where I am, it is still too chilly to see any adolescents out yet, but it is quite possible down south they'd be hatched and big boys by now. They Southern American ones generally start nesting in the beginning of the year, so I'd go with your gut. I see enough of them here I'd like to think they're not as rare as they used to be

Also, I have seen big hawks, but Eagles are in their own heavyweight class. I'm guessing the size made you think Eagle. I'd stick with that.
edit on 16America/ChicagoAmerica/Chicago1040000005410America/ChicagoAmerica/Chicago104 by WeezusGeezus because: no hawks

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   

aynock
if the pictures are shown to someone who knows about north american raptors they will be able to id it (or narrow it down to a couple of species) - i can only repeat: birdforum is the best resource - if these pics were posted there, the op would have three or four expert opinions within an hour - imo nobody will suggest osprey

I just got off the phone with an Arizona Parks Service wildlife expert who believes there's enough cause to think it may be a juvenile bald eagle. They're sending two spotters to the area to look for signs, apparently they can tell by the wreckage of the carcass he left behind (if it's still there), and any dung it may have dropped. If it is, they're going to be more diligent about patrolling the area, and putting up all the appropriate warning signs.

He said it could be a large red tail hawk, except that red tails typically don't take what they're eating to high ground, and devour the carrion where found. He also asked a question that sealed the possibility for him, "did it open it's wings while feeding?" It was doing that before I got my camera out. He called it "tenting," and it's a trait common among eagles when feeding.

So the possibility remains of a juvenile bald eagle.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   

That's cool... so maybe you were dead on!

I love raptors... let's hope some yahoo with a shotgun doesn't do something stupid.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   

please keep us informed, i would really like to know the outcome.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Looks l ike some sort of Hawk to me.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   

having looked at a number of pictures of juv bald eagles i'm still not convinced the legs and beak are powerful/heavy enough, but i'm sure the local wildlife folks have the necessary expertise

hopefully you'll get a definitive answer soon (and be sure to let us know!)

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   

SkepticOverlord
He also asked a question that sealed the possibility for him, "did it open it's wings while feeding?" It was doing that before I got my camera out. He called it "tenting," and it's a trait common among eagles when feeding.

THAT is cool info for us regular joe's participating in your thread.
Google just told me a group of Eagles is called a Convocation.
So I hope you have an entire convocation there...

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Look at it ripping apart it's lunch! Cool photos. I don't think Bald Eagle, maybe a Golden Eagle or Hawk of some sort? I'm not a bird expert.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I've lived in Arizona, seen many golden eagles, pretty sure that is what we have here. They are huge and beautiful.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 02:03 PM
link   

SkepticOverlord

He said it could be a large red tail hawk, except that red tails typically don't take what they're eating to high ground, and devour the carrion where found. He also asked a question that sealed the possibility for him, "did it open it's wings while feeding?" It was doing that before I got my camera out. He called it "tenting," and it's a trait common among eagles when feeding.

Red Tailed Hawks also have a similar behavior usually referred to as "mantling". This is also seen in Owls and other raptors in the Buteo family.

The main reason I'm thinking this is a large Red Tailed hawk are the light brown speckles on the upper leg and the bushy cream of the lower legs.

Penny

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   
hmmmmm... it's possible but juveniles tend to have more of a mix of white and brown feathers NOT distinct white legs and underbelly. i don't think it's an osprey. not convinced of red tailed hawk at all.... i see those all the time and they aren't that big. i'm not sure what it is. golden eagles don't have that much white on them. by the size of it, it almost has to be an eagle and if so then by process of elimination it very well could be a juvenile bald eagle.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join