It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Lending A Friend Your Car, Then Going to Bed Can Land You a Life Prison Sentence

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 06:42 PM
link   

HanzHenry
reply to post by onequestion

blame the JUDGE!

the judge could have declared a mistrial, unless the judge is a complete [snipped]

mistrial for what, Holle refused a plea deal, knew the chances of what a trial meant, and admitted to knowing what his buddies were up to.
it's his own fault, could have done less time than the others, but tried to beat the rap. he choose poorly.

edit on 13-4-2014 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

edit on Sun Apr 13 2014 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I could understand implicating him in on the robbery but not the murder.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 06:47 PM
link   
We have quietly entered a police state. I'm thinking that much of these laws are reaction to violent gang problems in the past. A few laws a year over a couple of decades and you get a police state. Many of you are young and do not remember the 70s and 80s where in many states every pickup had a rife in the back window and a cop would only shoot if he was threaten by a gun or knife type situation. In common cases back then of people high on PCP and fighting off 5 cops would not see a gun pulled even in extreme non gun cases such as this, they would get more cops to control it.

We have fewer cops now so they go for the gun as a new norm. We have a guy shot 12 times holding his hose in his front yard, we have a co-TV producer killed as he was mistaken as a knife wielding suspect, but there was no knife. The lady shot dozens of times that hit the White House fence, these are the norms now and so is going to prison for a long time due to actions that in the 70s and 80s would get you a night in jail and a call to your parents.

This is why I blame decades of gang violence as a big reason for the need to no longer start small and ratchet up the penalties if the person had future crimes. So one would think in this case the guy pulling the trigger would get max whatever and everyone else would get a year at most, maybe in a juvenile court situation, but those days are long gone since we never see laws actually getting taken off the books just added.

edit on 13-4-2014 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   

onequestion

i'm sure the other guys didn't know that the one who smashed the life out of the girl, didn't know he was going to do that.
they still got life, why shouldn't the one who could have delayed or even prevented it from happening, go to jail. he choose to fight instead of manning up, and take a plea deal.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   

The OP as clarified how even more so, how the laws in the US are unjust.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 08:18 PM
link   

lonewolf2

The OP as clarified how even more so, how the laws in the US are unjust.

just how is that, out of all the 5 defendants, he was the only one offered a plea deal.

he knew what was about to happen, as far as the break in, thinking they were joking, which i doubt very seriously drunk or not is no excuse. he lent his car to some one who told him he was going to break in and rob a drug dealer. should have been a red flag right there.

he could have told his friend/roommate no. that might have prevented a young woman's life from being taken. he should have manned up and took the deal. instead he wanted to deny the fact that his actions are part of the girls death.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 08:23 PM
link   
OK, here is a case with horrendous injustice.

And a youth that deserves his life back and even compensation.

Now, do people just allow this, or is there a way, to organize and get pressure on the system to release him and overturn this.

I would not allow this, if this happened to my son, either they'd get him out and compensated or their entire jail woudl be bulldozed down and i'd get him out personally myself and declare war on their rogue behinds.

So, again, picturing your own children, who is doing something about this!

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Blame the judge? Um...yeah, think so. But now, with an evil incorporate judge and a bunch of literal satanists running the system, do people just bend over and bleet or kick some butt! and mean it and get things going to get him out?

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Unity_99
And a youth that deserves his life back and even compensation.

His life? It was a girl that was murdered as a result of his action - and how do you plan to give here her life back, or pay her compensation?
But this is typical of bleeding hearts, they do not think anyone should accept any personal responsibility for their own actions...

I would not allow this, if this happened to my son, either they'd get him out and compensated or their entire jail woudl be bulldozed down and i'd get him out personally myself and declare war on their rogue behinds.

Big talk from someone who thinks it is ok to allow people to be murdered due to someone's actions...

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

did you even read the case, did you not see that he lent his car to them after being told they were going to break in and rob a drug dealer. so do you think it was all right to condom a crime against a criminal.

this young man knew that or should have had a suspicion that they were going to do what they told him. yet he gave them the keys to his car.

he was offered a plea deal, also fl has 10 20 life law that states if a gun is used during a crime, 10 for pulling it, 20 well here is the wiki for it cause it's fast.

The law's name comes from three main mandatory sentences: 1) producing a firearm during the commission of certain felonies mandates at least a 10-year prison sentence; 2) firing one mandates at least a 20-year prison sentence; and 3) shooting someone mandates a minimum sentence of 25 years to life regardless of whether a victim is killed or simply injured. The maximum penalty is a life sentence unless the defendant is charged with felony murder or first degree murder in which case the maximum is the death penalty.[2][6]
10-20-Life

i'm sure that this played a part in the sentencing, and the plea deal offered to him, even though the gun was not fired but used as a club.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 08:40 PM
link   
've thought about this a bit, and for those 'supporting' that he did in fact, however inadvertently, play a part/contribute to the 'crime' he's charged with/for.... i have a question.

if i give/loan my registered firearm to a 'friend' 'knowing' that they intend to go 'bangin' ... and they later bludgeon someone with a baseball bat, while in possession of my registered firearm ....

how could/would you justify my being charged for/with their 'crime'??

just curious...

yes. i am/was aware they intended to 'commit a crime', and gave/loaned them my registered firearm anyway.... and yet despite them NOT 'committing the crime' using my firearm... they used a baseball bat instead..

yet i'm liable for the same charge/sentence.[???]

just can't/don't see how ...

edit on 4/13/2014 by 12m8keall2c because: NOT... for clarity's sake

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

with out the car, it would have made their plan more difficult to go the the house. maybe even prevented it from happening.
he gave them the keys to the car which transported them to the crime and away from the crime.

if you gave a person a gun knowing they were gonna banging, yet they used a "baseball bat" and didn't call the cops. i hope that it would considered aiding and abetting, and they slapped you with the max.

do you just condone killing people, do you not think it is your responsibility to report a crime that some tells you they are gonna commit.

if so that's sad and you need to be locked up with your banging buddy.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by hounddoghowlie

not at all. i value all life... 's just a hypothetical.... 'ts all ...

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 08:55 PM
link   

onequestion

The murder was a consequence of the poor choice of the commission of the crime of the home invasion. What does the term 'home invasion' mean to you, exactly?

To me, and to most people, in means the invasion of our personal space, without the regard to personal space, property, and unfortunately to most that are willing to commit home invasions, whether you are there, or not. Murder is an unfortunate risk they know must be 'handled' if they come across someone in the commission of the act, and usually, it is dealt with by death. Sometimes, but not always, they brutalize or beat the person, restrain them in some fashion, but of late, and I mean the past 10 or so years, it means murder. They really dislike the idea of leaving a witness that may identify them behind.

They may not realize, nor recognize, the consequences of their actions at the moment, perhaps in a drug-induced thrill of the moment, but, ignorance of the law is no defence.

This was a premeditated crime, committed with the full knowledge of all involved. Lucky he didn't get the chair.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Quite simply, you knew a crime was about to be committed, a felony, and failed to report it. That in itself, makes you a felon. Regardless if they used your weapon, you are just as guilty as if you had committed the crime, and in some states, even moreso. The harshest penalties can be levied against you for failure to prevent a felony that resulted in greivous bodily injury, regardless of the route of injury.

Aiding and abetting would only be added on charges. You would be charged as if you were present. You would have the proverbial book thrown at you. While the person actually committing the crime would get a lesser sentence, yours would be worse, simply because you could have done something to stop it, and failed to do so. Because of you, something serious and criminal took place that could have been prevented.

I fail to see why this is so hard to understand.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 09:03 PM
link   

hounddoghowlie

with out the car, it would have made their plan more difficult to go the the house. maybe even prevented it from happening.
he gave them the keys to the car which transported them to the crime and away from the crime.

if you gave a person a gun knowing they were gonna banging, yet they used a "baseball bat" and didn't call the cops. i hope that it would considered aiding and abetting, and they slapped you with the max.

do you just condone killing people, do you not think it is your responsibility to report a crime that some tells you they are gonna commit.

put it this way.....

my 'problem' with the entirety is this...

if he, as the vehicle's owner, had knowingly given the keys to his friend, all the while being aware they intended to go kill some girl, as opposed to just 'stealing/taking' some lady's herb ....

i get that part. he knew they were intending to commit the crime of 'theft of property' - NOT MURDER.

yet he gets charged and sentenced as though he was there or knew how things were going to play out in the end, all the while.

no disrespect for life or respect for what the l'il yobs did .... just don't see how he can/could be charged with the same as those 'on the scene/actively participating', either.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Watch this and realise just how far behind you are...
or YouTube

Embed wouldn't work. Never mind it did; just not during preview.
edit on 13-4-2014 by qwerty12345 because: 9/11

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 09:22 PM
link   

12m8keall2c

hounddoghowlie

put it this way.....

my 'problem' with the entirety is this...

if he, as the vehicle's owner, had knowingly given the keys to his friend, all the while being aware they intended to go kill some girl, as opposed to just 'stealing/taking' some lady's herb ....

i get that part. he knew they were intending to commit the crime of 'theft of property' - NOT MURDER.

yet he gets charged and sentenced as though he was there or knew how things were going to play out in the end, all the while.

no disrespect for life or respect for what the l'il yobs did .... just don't see how he can/could be charged with the same as those 'on the scene/actively participating', either.

if i remember correctly, they intend to beat up the mother, he knew this. i'll see of i can find out.
if you haven't read the case he was given a plea deal offer for 10 years, but refused it. he took the chance that the jury would find him not guilty, he lost.

he was considered to be a accomplice, he knew what they intended to to. read the Floridia Felony Murder Rule.

here is a NY Time report, i was wrong they knew that the daughter was there.

But Mr. Holle did testify that he had been told it might be necessary to “knock out” Jessica Snyder. Mr. Holle is 25 now, a tall, lean and lively man with a rueful sense of humor, alert brown eyes and an unusually deep voice. In a spare office at the prison here, he said that he had not taken the talk of a burglary seriously.
Serving Life for Providing Car to Killers

i'm sure that he knew what that meant, there's only two ways i know of knocking someone out that's with drugs, or beating some one.
and they went to steal drugs. so use your own judgement as to what the plan was. did he have a reasonable doubt they would hurt some one? was he to drunk to realize what they were going to, even though he told cops that they told him, but was drunk and thought they were joking? seems like he was sober enough to remember what they told him.so he should have been sober enough to put two and two together.

like i said, the sentence is harsh, and he should be able to get parole, but when you lay down with dogs, chances are your gonna get fleas.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 10:11 PM
link   

hounddoghowlie

like i said, the sentence is harsh, and he should be able to get parole, but when you lay down with dogs, chances are your gonna get fleas.

having looked further into the matter. yeah. the 'charge and conviction should stick', ...

but.... he took that 'chance'... not taking the plea deal ... got the bad end of the stick, so to speak.

still think they could/should commute the life to time served.

he'd've been out over a year ago with the plea deal.

??

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 01:13 AM
link   

if i give/loan my registered firearm to a 'friend' 'knowing' that they intend to go 'bangin' ... and they later bludgeon someone with a baseball bat, while in possession of my registered firearm ....

You loan our firearm to a "friend" knowing they plan a break in and your friend get his a*s blown off by the home owner you are still going to do hard time.
And if your friend is a felon you will get even more time.

edit on 14-4-2014 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join