It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ukraine Mobilizes Military, Gives Separatists Ultimatum; Russia Slams Escalation As "Criminal", Ya

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Sticky situation, Russias saying the west have to clean up the mess that they caused, hmm.
Ukraine can warn the separatists all they want, they will not stand down.
Putin's already said he has the right to defend Russian's in Ukraine, I'm not sure the west shares his oponion.

If Russia's intention was to give Ukraine enough "escalation" rope with which to hang itself once again, it may have succeeded when a little over an hour ago acting president Oleksander Turchinov said in a televized address that Ukraine has mobilized its armed forces to launch a "full-scale anti-terrorist operation" against pro-Russian separatists.

Part of the responsibility for dragging the country into domestic war lays on the US, which brutally interfere in the situation and to point out what to do, Yanukovich said. The ousted president declared that CIA chief John Brennan visited Ukraine and it was after the meeting that the coup-imposed authorities in Kiev ordered a military operation in the country’s east.

Though the Ukrainian military did not resist the Russian takeover of Crimea with force, Turchinov threatened robust action against the rebels in the east. "The National Security and Defence Council has decided to launch a full-scale anti-terrorist operation involving the armed forces of Ukraine," he declared.

Ukraine has repeatedly said the rebellions are inspired and directed by the Kremlin. But action to dislodge the armed militants risks tipping the stand-off into a new, dangerous phase as Moscow has warned it will protect the region's Russian-speakers if they come under attack.

One Ukrainian state security officer was killed and five were wounded on the government side in Sunday's operation in Slaviansk, interior minister Arsen Avakov said. "There were dead and wounded on both sides," he wrote on his Facebook page.

www.zerohedge.com...

As usual, the only solace out of NATO was issuing wordy statements:
edit on 13-4-2014 by keenasbro because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 04:43 PM
link   
By Putin's logic, Mexico should be able to just invade the US.

This just doesn't make any sense. Not any of it.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Russia Slams Escalation As "Criminal"

Yeah, they'd know all about that.

Takes one to know one.

+2 more 
posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   

andr3w68

I thought Mexico was already invading the United States????????

Funny how Putin gets the blame for doing nothing more than trying to hold onto a piece of property that is a strategic necessity for him to defend his country, while those accusing him of acting out can't see the US involvement for an IMF takeover..........FOR WHAT????? A Strategic land grab!!!!

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

Yeah, I don't know why we're making all this fuss.

Let Russia have Ukraine back.

In fact, let them take over Europe.

Obviously, that would be strategically important to them.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 05:01 PM
link   
This is a sore deal. The moment int. Pres. Turychinov declared an anti terrorist operation sealed the deal for Russia. They are calling a meeting with UN to tell everyone to their face they are going to invade Ukraine. I wonder when they are going to move the doomsday clock forward?
Anyways, not good folks.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   

too true. usa should keep there nose out of russian affairs ,and to think biden is going over to stir things up,

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Fact is, if all the elements involved in this tense escalation in the Ukraine are not careful, they may find that their actions will run away from them and commit them to carrying out deeds which will take the crisis beyond their control. Putin has to deliver a political and military rebuttal to whatever Ukraine throw at the pro-Russian activists occupying government buildings.

If the Russian troops massed along the Eastern border get sent in, the act has the potential to kick start the slide into Russian and Nato forces being brought into conflict. If the conflict stays within Ukraine borders, it may become apparent that the Ukraine may well be split into West and Eastern factions, or the conflict will spill out into a wider theatre. If there is no 'backdoor' to a climbdown for any of the elements, if there is no diplomatic communication available, then the only other resolve is to fall into a military response from all sides.

We are potentially on the brink if cool heads do not prevail. If the elements on all sides simply dig their heels in and are not willing to compromise...war is inevitable in that region, and could eventually drag the West into it militarily, and finally, and maybe irrevocably, into conflict with Russia. We all know where that is going to quickly lead.
edit on 13/4/14 by elysiumfire because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   

By no means am I saying the US has nothing to do with this. I KNOW they do. What I am saying is that Putin has no right to FORCEFULLY INVADE crimea.
edit on 13-4-2014 by andr3w68 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 05:16 PM
link   

CJCrawley

How about the US invading a few countries in the middle east?

Seems to me Putin is just participating in a game of chess that the arrogant bankers thought he would back down over!

Just freakin amazes me how my government gets a free pass to destroy lives while preaching democracy..........

Obviously Putin has proven he does not believe in "Turning the other cheek?"?

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Flyzoid

Video

UN Security Council to meet on Sunday on Ukraine:

The UN Security Council has called an emergency meeting at Russia's request to discuss the growing crisis in Ukraine.

Russia's UN mission sent a text message to reporters saying a closed meeting of the Security Council would begin at 8 pm on Sunday (0000 GMT). The Russian mission said it had requested the meeting.

The President of the Security Council confirmed in an email that members have been invited to attend "informal consultations" on Ukraine on Sunday evening.

The meeting comes as the new Ukrainian government declared it would deploy armed forces to quash an increasingly bold pro-Russian insurgency in eastern Ukraine.

Ukrainian special forces exchanged gunfire with a pro-Russia militia in an eastern city on Sunday morning, with at least one security officer killed and five others wounded. [AP]

www.aljazeera.com...

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by keenasbro

Yes thats it, this is the meeting where things unravel and players show their cards.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 05:28 PM
link   

seeker1963

andr3w68

I thought Mexico was already invading the United States????????

Funny how Putin gets the blame for doing nothing more than trying to hold onto a piece of property that is a strategic necessity for him to defend his country, while those accusing him of acting out can't see the US involvement for an IMF takeover..........FOR WHAT????? A Strategic land grab!!!!

So, I can do the same thing to your home, if I feel justified. Good to know.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   
andr3w68:

Putin has no rights to FORCEFULLY INVADE Crimea.

What are you talking about! Russia did not invade the Crimea, it mobilised troops that were already in the region. This is no longer about the Crimea, it is about other areas of the Ukraine which Russia has no legitimate claims for. All the elements are using the absence of clarity to go about achieving their aims. What I mean by this is that no one can reliably inform on who is who, and who really are the antagonistic elements? Pro-Russian people or Ukraine fascist elements fomenting discord.

However, the acting Ukraine president has determined that those activists occupying government buildings are going to be removed by the coming anti-terrorist operation, and this will lead to deaths. If those activists are pro-Russian, how is Putin supposed to respond? Obviously, because he has already stated that he will defend pro-Russians, he will mobilise the troops on the Eastern border and order them to enter the Ukraine. Even though Putin will believe this to be a legitimate response, it will be blasted as an illegal invasion, especially here in the West. Will it involve Nato troops entering Ukraine from Poland?

Let's put it this way, if Nato troops (polish) enter the Ukraine, we may see Putin mobilise even greater troop numbers to enter Ukraine, and if (or when) we see that happening, we can assert to each other that war is about to begin.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   
As my Dark Knight shooting prediction.Again I dated it right down to the day, it is now the 14th, my time zone ( Australia ). Copy and paste from my last thread.Written 4 Days ago, which is 2 days beyound the date Ukraine gave.
www.cnn.com... Link with video. The ultimatium has been set. Reading another report, Ukraine tanks are moving into troubled areas.This is will not end well, things will esculate quickly from this deadline.Personally I believe for the local Russian population,losses will be extremely high ( a Waco stand off type event ). With the intension to draw Russia in. I am suspecting a slaughter, this tactic though is a double edged sword, While such a result would result retaliation and outrage from Russia, it has the potential split neighbor from neighbor, in even Russian opposing Nations.This tactic could back fire dramaticly.

I feel from the 14th onwards things will esculate dramaticly.

Just as N.A.T.O finalises, putting it's pieces in position.I can't understand how anyone can refer to this situation as a return to the Cold War or even draw a comparison. Please use this thread for updating, not ranting your opinons on who is the good guys/bad guys.This is for a discussion thread for updating the events as they unfold, not a opinon piece. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.theguardian.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com... Dark Knight
edit on 13-4-2014 by 13th Zodiac because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Since the beginning of civilization there has been nothing but a land grab.
The point is that we are at time in civilization where you can't just make land grabs. This has been a mess on both sides but we are only reacting. Russians are one step ahead and only the Russians know what theyre doing next.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by keenasbro

This is the most recent article I could find. Monday, April 14, 2014 08:09:00

It's 1.45 am in Kiev at the moment, so we have a few more hours before the deadline.

The deadline being Monday morning, I'm not sure if we are talking office hours here, or presumably 6am, I have never been in the military but I'm sure they don't keep office hours.

www.abc.net.au...

SAMANTHA POWER: It has all the tell-tale signs of what we saw in Crimea. It's professional; it's coordinated; there's nothing grassroots seeming about it. The forces are doing in each of the six or seven cities that they've been active in exactly the same thing. So certainly it bears the tell tale signs of Moscow's involvement.
edit on 13-4-2014 by keenasbro because: to add

edit on 13-4-2014 by keenasbro because: to add

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 07:02 PM
link   
This is a dangerous turn of events. During the Maiden protests troops weren't used but the conflict between police and protesters was enough to send the situation dangerously close to civil war. Actual military action will likely turn this into a full blown civil war and then there is the question of how the Russian military and NATO will respond. Cooler heads need to prevail.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 07:12 PM
link   

reply to post by CJCrawley

Save the sarcasm....I want to remind you that it was the US that started this by supporting an illegal coup to remove a legally, democratically elected leader in Ukraine in the first place.

Had the US not spent $5 billion of your tax dollars supporting these ultra nationalist fascists....none of this would be happening right now.

Why don't you put the blame where it belongs??

Yet again the Americans have destabilized an entire country in their arrogance....I wonder how many lives their interference will cost this time around??

Were a million + dead innocent people in the middle east over the last 12 years not enough to satisfy their bloodlust??? More than 5 MILLION homeless....4 countries destroyed??

edit on 13America/Chicagopm132014-04-13T19:19:22-05:00pmSunday04 by deadcalm because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by deadcalm

You are seemingly forgetting the UN also suported the new government in Ukraine if i remember correctly. Its always the russian reversal with supporters of Putin though.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join