It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious rumbling along coast wasn't earthquake, experts say

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Blue Shift

LightningStrikesHere
What makes you speculate it's the X 37B ?

We know there's one in orbit, nearing the end of a long term classified mission. The thing comes in very fast (Mach 25), and needs a relatively long runway like the shuttles did. So it could come into Edwards or Vandenberg. Might create some pretty good booms.

No reason to think that the Navy training story isn't just a cover.

edit on 10-4-2014 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

Would this craft cause a bigger sonic blast?
It seems people in the area are saying they don't feel like it was a anything sonic..

I dono ,it's all confusing

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   
The Earth's probably like swiss cheese with underground caverns - many likely made by fracking and unstable, Maybe the ceiling gave way in a big one - any sink holes opened up in the vicinity?

That's just my guess and a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but who knows?

edit on 10-4-2014 by McGinty because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Thiaoouba Prophecy
It was pretty humid and hot yesterday and that's why we had so much fog this morning, the ocean was calm and not choppy with very little wind. Maybe the Jet pilot wanted to see how low he could fly his F-22 Raptor right above the water and go Mach 2, obviously jostling a couple million people in the process and giving some people heart attacks. I wonder if someone did die from a sonic boom heart and it got investigated that the pilot did the menuaver if they could sue the Navy with a causal link timed to the article.

Not really, as the JAG (lawyer working for the Navy/aka Navy Jury Advocate General) could very easily argue that it was the heart problem that caused the person to have a heart attack, and not because of the fright in itself.

Anything eventually can cause a heart attack to a person with heart problems. Be it an innocent joke, innocent fright, or any type of excitement, exercise, exhaustion, age, etc. In such a case it would be whether the JAG can demonstrate "intent", which is not so easy.

Was it "intentional" on the part of the pilot to cause a heart attack? The possibility of "deliberate intent", or motive would have to be proven in the case you presented. But at the same time it is hard to demonstrate motive, as it would have to be a step by step logical argument not based on assumptions. Just proclaiming "it is a case of butterfly effect" will not make you win the case.

Motive, or "intent" can change a verdict from non-guilty to guilty, and can and does also affect the severity of the charges. The problem comes with making a logical enough argument and to demonstrate motive in such a case, which again is not easy.

Military pilots don't change altitude or change flight path on a whim. Maybe atmospheric conditions would cause the pilot to change his or her flight path. It could have been an order/change of flight plan that caused the pilot to change course. There are many possibilities, and then there is the matter of "national security" since it involves a military pilot who might have been doing classified maneuvers.

It would be so difficult to demonstrate on such a case "intent" on the part of the pilot that most JAG corp's officers would not even consider taking the case. If they do take the case, it could be possible for the judge to dismiss the charges on pretrial if the judge doesn't hear an argument that he/she thinks can be proven based on the judge's knowledge of such cases, or if the defense JAG officer can make an intelligent motion to dismiss.

edit on 10-4-2014 by ElectricUniverse because: errors.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by McGinty

Wow, 5 pages and still few realise this: "Sonic booms VERY VERY RARELY create ground shock waves". Since at least a few people have reported the "ground shook significantly" - it simply is unlikely to have been a sonic phenomena.

Just saying, this is my first post on ATS - just had to chime in with my crap.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by hitchhiker

Since at least a few people have reported the "ground shook significantly" - it simply is unlikely to have been a sonic phenomena.
Is it unlikely that at least a few people were mistaken in their perceptions? The majority of reports don't mention any ground shaking. One would think that significant ground shaking would be commented on by many rather than a few.

The U.S. Navy confirmed an aircraft flew faster than the speed of sound as part of an exercise with the USS Ronald Reagan aircraft carrier about 50 miles off the coast this afternoon.
www.latimes.com...

edit on 4/10/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   

hitchhiker

Wow, 5 pages and still few realise this: "Sonic booms VERY VERY RARELY create ground shock waves". Since at least a few people have reported the "ground shook significantly" - it simply is unlikely to have been a sonic phenomena.

Because it is rare it doesn't mean it does not happen.

We can assume, throwing in ideas of what we think could have happened until the sun rises 2 months from now, but it would still be assumptions.

Rare doesn't mean impossible.
edit on 10-4-2014 by ElectricUniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by tonycodes

Meteor sonic boom. I saw a bunch the night before this OP. One was so bright that I saw it watching tv and ran outside. Thought it was a plane going down on fire or something that could cause some damage, didn't hear a boom, but it was falling pretty slow, which means it hit terminal velocity in the lower atmosphere and was probably just falling. Maybe a bigger one entered over Cali the next day?

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by TritonTaranis

I live in East Central Michigan. We have an air National Guard base up north. Last summer on a Saturday afternoon there was a hell of a boom. It rattled the china in the china cab. It seemed to come from everywhere. Many of my neighbors were outside looking up, wondering what the hell was that.

I think the Nat. Guard was out flying around and got a bit fast going home. But it did shake things up some.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Doesn't anyone find it odd that so many people cant tell the difference between a sonic boom (which is an enormous BOOM) and an earthquake? One is an explosion and the other happens over an extended period of time.

People experienced shaking and rumbling in an area where they frequently experience earthquakes that shake and rumble.

Sounds like they experienced the "Mysterious rumbling sounds heard around the world" that were rampant around the country a couple/few years ago.

For instance: www.abovetopsecret.com...

I experienced this myself in Palm Springs about 5 years ago and it was NO sonic boom. Everyone thought it was an earthquake and ran outside. The strange thing was, the ground didn't shake. It sounded and felt like an invisible squadron of super fortress bombers flew over head.

Welcome to the phenomena

edit on 10-4-2014 by NOrrTH because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-4-2014 by NOrrTH because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   

McGinty
The Earth's probably like swiss cheese with underground caverns - many likely made by fracking and unstable, Maybe the ceiling gave way in a big one - any sink holes opened up in the vicinity?

That's just my guess and a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but who knows?

hitchhiker
reply to post by McGinty

Err, sounds like you think you're disagreeing with me, whereas you'll find you're doing that opposite - we're both suggesting it's from below, not above.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 06:06 PM
link   

McGinty

edit on 10-4-2014 by McGinty because: (no reason given)

I doubt they are fracking in LA

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Did we figure it out yet?

Felt and heard in Arcadia yesterday afternoon.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Navy rail gun mach 7 projectile testing, just a guess....it is now public info but they probably still like to use a jet as cover story
edit on 10-4-2014 by scottw because: add info

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

Because it is rare it doesn't mean it does not happen.

We can assume, throwing in ideas of what we think could have happened until the sun rises 2 months from now, but it would still be assumptions.

Rare doesn't mean impossible.

I think what he's trying to say is that the odds of it being a sonic boom under those circumstances are highly unlikely. He used the phrase "VERY VERY RARE" when describing the effects. Now going by his criteria, I don't think it would be wise to cling to such a small percentage in favor of the sonic boom but you're entitled to whatever you want to believe.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

Sure they do. There are corridors the military uses where they can go as fast as they want, while civilian flights HP over them at higher altitudes.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 08:29 PM
link   

tonycodes
Heres my problem with this... can an aircraft make a sonic boom that would be felt from San Clemente to LA?? I mean it shook houses all the way down the coast lol that just doesnt make sense to me.

Yes. Even back in the 90's there was a well known 'boom' in san diego and LA. Caltech scientists checked with their seismometers and said it wasn't an earthquake, but it was consistent with sonic boom from an aircraft at high altitude moving north towards Edwards at Mach 4+ or so.
Apparently the boom coupled with the skyscrapers in downtown to make noticable seismic waves.

There's also significant testing on San Nicholas island offshore LA.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by NOrrTH

Because a sonic boom is similar to an earthquake, minus some of the waves you see with an earthquake.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 10:17 PM
link   

NOrrTH
Doesn't anyone find it odd that so many people cant tell the difference between a sonic boom (which is an enormous BOOM) and an earthquake? One is an explosion and the other happens over an extended period of time.

People experienced shaking and rumbling in an area where they frequently experience earthquakes that shake and rumble.

Sounds like they experienced the "Mysterious rumbling sounds heard around the world" that were rampant around the country a couple/few years ago.

For instance: www.abovetopsecret.com...

I experienced this myself in Palm Springs about 5 years ago and it was NO sonic boom. Everyone thought it was an earthquake and ran outside. The strange thing was, the ground didn't shake. It sounded and felt like an invisible squadron of super fortress bombers flew over head.

Welcome to the phenomena

Now that is a bit different. I am going by the information provided in the op since I wasn't present to hear and witness this event. I have watched some of the videos of those rumbling sounds that have been heard worldwide, and most of those I really can't tell, or explain what they are.

Anyway, it would have helped if some people, preferably more than one not related to each other in any way, would have recorded on video and with sound the event.

If it was such a long event, there should have been ample time to get a video recording of it. Lots of people these days have phones and iphones that can do both record video and sound.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 12:06 AM
link   

MojaveBurning

Oh wow, I felt that! I'm so close to the military base that I always hear bombs and guns... I just assumed it was an especially large explosion. It did feel different than those usually do though. It was almost like it radiated from a specific spot (not in the direction of the firing ranges areas). Usually with the bombs I feel and hear them throughout the house, this one made me look in a specific direction and for a split second I wondered if something had actually exploded or collapsed on one side of my house.

Edited to add: I see a couple of people have mentioned sonic boom as a possibility... I truly do not believe that is what this was. I've experienced those before, this was not that in my opinion.

What you are describing sounds like a sonic boom, and by the way you are describing it, right before you heard the loud boom the aircraft changed direction which causes a louder boom to occur.

In the following video you can watch and hear a compilation of different sonic booms made by military aircraft.

Anyway, wish that someone would have taken the time to record the sound and video. Video mostly to see the date and time it happened, although showing surrounding areas would help.

edit on 11-4-2014 by ElectricUniverse because: add comment.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

The first video never went supersonic. He tops out around 0.8 mach.

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join