It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious rumbling along coast wasn't earthquake, experts say

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by tonycodes

if it was a sonic boom, by the time you were looking for it, it would be long gone.

link   
reply to post by Sremmos80

I'm sure it is a possibility. I live near 4 military bases and the Air force Academy, unfortunately for me I have never heard (or felt?) a sonic boom.

Another poster pointed out that the ground wouldn't shake during a sonic boom like described in the OP, I can't confirm or deny this since I've never experienced one.. would be interesting to find out for sure because it could possibly rule sonic boom out entirely. Then we may indeed be dealing with the strange and mysterious.

edit on 9-4-2014 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

link   

not sure how to explain it right, but the wave from the boom follows the plane. if it goes down the coast,it breaks at the start and as the aircraft moves along the wave follows. ie you see the craft and then you hear and feel it.

here is a wiki on it sonic booms.

, the boom is continuous along the boom carpet for the entire supersonic flight. As a former Concorde pilot puts it, "You don't actually hear anything on board. All we see is the pressure wave moving down the aeroplane - it gives an indication on the instruments. And that's what we see around Mach
Sonic Boom

link   

tonycodes
reply to post by woogleuk

OK thats very cool to know actually
but there was no plane that I can see and no aircraft reported. I mean wouldn't I be able to at least hear the aircraft if it made a sonic boom so big that shook my house like a small earthquake?

not if its the x-37b. its boom would occure as it went from above the speed of sound to below the speed of sound as it re-entered for landing. you get the boom going up and down the speed scale

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 06:41 PM
link   

tonycodes
reply to post by woogleuk

OK thats very cool to know actually
but there was no plane that I can see and no aircraft reported. I mean wouldn't I be able to at least hear the aircraft if it made a sonic boom so big that shook my house like a small earthquake?

Well they are moving when they do it, so unless you were outside I doubt you would see it.
To hear the boom and go look, you are far to late IMO

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Here's an article I found on the 'Seneca Guns Booms':

www.myreporter.com...

They just had a special on this last night called The Unexplained Files. Really interesting stuff.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Military routinely blow up ammo, they don't usually put a note in the letterbox to tell you in advance, at least not round here.
Sometimes weather conditions can make it startlingly loud. Alternatively, you could blame the Missus.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   

The boom you hear is the noise the aircraft makes, the sound is compressed and you hear it all at once...as a boom.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by hounddoghowlie

Well I get what you are saying but it shook the ground here and felt like the earthquake we just had. It definitely had a build up sound before the shaking, so I guess that could have been the craft. But let me tell ya, that rumble sound was pretty much to the sound the earthquake last week made and my sense was that the sound was coming from the earth or just some large mass. This is my account of it and I really have a hard time believing a plane, that no one saw or heard, flew over millions of people, shook their houses and rumbled AND sounded like an earthquake. lol Just saying, but I am no expert in sonic booms, it just seems like the craft that made this would have been reported already or at least seen between San Clemente and Los Angeles.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

Ya it is a real big deal to do it, I heard it as a 1 million dollar fine form FAA for doing it but IDK who else besides the military has the ability to do it. Well, I guess that is not true lol

The one time I felt one, it was one the third floor of the barracks and it shook the building and so it shock at my feet, can't speak for the ground though.

And the one I felt was at an air show, so I think it wasn't even a full blown boom, the pilot just got the bubble forming around him and then let off, still let out the boom but remember people telling me that isn't even the real deal.

I can think of 4 bases off the the top of my head in an 100 mile radius of OC so that is why I think it was a boom that shouldn't have happened where it did

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by texasgirl

cool article. had never heard of them

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Fireball or bolide is my guess, check the AMS site to see if anyone else reports from your area and the similar time you heard the boom, there have been a few there from California in the last couple of days. Spaceweather.com reported 41 sporadic fireballs last night, wonder what it will be tomorrow?

Yesterday afternoon and evening I kept hearing the sound of what sounded like the low hum engines but i don't think it was because none could be seen and it was none stop til late in the evening, no booming but something was flying over.
edit on 4/9/2014 by whatnext21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Officials at the Camp Pendleton Marine base were also mystified.

ranchosantamargarita.patch.com...

link   

I live near Long Beach, and I didn't hear anything. I must've been distracted.

link   
Couple of possibilities

1) a meteor fragmenting overhead...this was day time right? Flash or fireball might not have been seen, but most likely it would have if it traveled that far.

2) a tearing of the earth's crust, not large enough to be considered an earthquake but enough to cause gases to escape and explode as it's released. A micro-quake!

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Rezlooper

I guess my biggest problem with these theories is the fact no one saw anything. Wouldnt any of those have to be rather large objects to make a shake over this large of an area? Whats really ticking me off about this whole thing is that I felt it hours ago, thought it was a quake, then got no reaction from any of the seismologist apps I have. Now, the proper authorities dont what what kind of loose powerful force just shook a rather populated chunk of Southern California.... brutal lol.... these people even felt it in Malibu! www.theepochtimes.com...
sometimes you just gotta laugh to keep from crying
edit on 9-4-2014 by tonycodes because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 07:01 PM
link   

If it is a black bird then they would play dumb, I also think they will play dumb until they can spin it the way they want.
Wonder if March or Miramar got a call yet

edit on thWed, 09 Apr 2014 19:03:31 -0500America/Chicago420143180 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Wookiep
reply to post by Sremmos80

Sonic boom would make sense, but as the article states, only military aircraft would exceed the speed of sound. Military aircraft do not fly supersonic in civilian airspace (Orange County) however.

Unless they are reacting to something!!

To the OP...ive heard quite a few sonic booms in my day and they can shake stuff pretty hard but its usually pretty quick.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   

tonycodes
Officials at the Camp Pendleton Marine base were also mystified.

ranchosantamargarita.patch.com...

Hmm one of the comments on that website -

I live near the pier and never heard any kind of boom. My windows and walls shook hard for 3-5 secs. Yet my pool water remained calm. Strange.

If that's the case then it would indicate the ground didn't shake, but it rattled windows etc. This would make a sonic boom seem more plausible.. (you'd think though even from the air something that loud would case some water to ripple) BUT the Air Force bases nearby said they were not aware of any sonic events.. They could be lying, who knows. Still a mystery IMO.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Rezlooper
Couple of possibilities

2) a tearing of the earth's crust, not large enough to be considered an earthquake but enough to cause gases to escape and explode as it's released. A micro-quake!

I guess I was right about the Missus then?
Alternatively, what about a sudden decompression of trapped air, say in a cavern, a massive cave on the beach. You know how vocal bursting a paper bag can be.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join