It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ammonite Fossil detected by the Rover on Mars? Curiosity Sol 551.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

Arken,
I've never seen this type of sedimentary rock before, have you?
PS don't feed the troll, maybe he'll go away.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Keep up the good work Arken...someday, I'm sure if something really phenomenal turns up. You'll be the first to find it, and bring it to ATS. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thanks Des, for your kind words.

I'm not sure about your prophecy...

Maybe you, or another ATS member if you have time to watch carefully some images from Mars...

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Violater1
reply to post by Arken

Arken,

Which rock are you referring to? Most of the rock in the photo appears to be dried mud or sandstone. And no, I'm not going away.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 02:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

Can anyone see the upside down elephant riding on the back of a monkey on a unicycle?

Anyone?

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Violater1
reply to post by Arken

Arken,

Hi there Violater
I've already seen this "ammonite anomaly" in a previous image, some time ago, always from Sol 551, but it was blurred. mars.jpl.nasa.gov... as you can see.
Now NASA/JPL released a new image more detailed and with a better resolution of the particular spot.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Arken

Violater1
reply to post by Arken

Arken,

Hi there Violater
I've already seen this "ammonite anomaly" in a previous image, some time ago, always from Sol 551, but it was blurred. mars.jpl.nasa.gov... as you can see.
Now NASA/JPL released a new image more detailed and with a better resolution of the particular spot.

Where are all the other ammonites? Shouldn't there be an entire ecosystem?

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 03:21 AM
link   
I agree that it seems to be too asymmetrical to be what is suggested, but then again, the OP is the type of person that will be the one to eventually find something extraordinary, simply because they take the time to look. Even if I didn't agree with the next 100 posts of this kind, the 101st could be the one to not overlook. Some seem a little silly, some are not. They are all worth at least a glance.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 03:43 AM
link   

spacemanjupiter
I agree that it seems to be too asymmetrical to be what is suggested, but then again, the OP is the type of person that will be the one to eventually find something extraordinary, simply because they take the time to look. Even if I didn't agree with the next 100 posts of this kind, the 101st could be the one to not overlook. Some seem a little silly, some are not. They are all worth at least a glance.

The problem is that he is so indiscriminate in his posting that if he ever does spot something real, no-one will believe him, like the boy who cried wolf. A fossilized shell fish is exactly the sort of thing one might find in a dried up Martian lake. (In fact, there will be genuine news along these lines as the actual data from Curiosity percolates.) [snipped].... that they are pareidolia, although it has often been pointed out [snipped] that artificial structures do not exist in isolation. They require roads, dwellings, municipal water supplies, and so forth.
edit on Sat Apr 5 2014 by DontTreadOnMe because: Go After the Ball, Not the Player!

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 04:40 AM
link   
It does look like some kind of fossil. It is possible that it was life at one point in Mars' history. If this is a genuine fossil, then it should go with out saying we need to launch a man mission asap.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 05:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

Good find Arken. Rock formation/marking looks different. As usual I will follow your posts. Keep up the good work.

Bally

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Great....yet sorry Arken, this was found by BlueShift long long ago (February 27) in a thread close close by, the anomalies thread. This is one of the better finds on the thread, and imaged very well by BlueShift and others. I'll go find the original post, and then you can read from there. Thanks for getting more opinions about the discovery though, this is a major one imnho and one of the finds which do seem to hold credibility.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Nonetheless....what I suggest is that this thread keep going and get to the main page, because this is a major find, likely in the range of "maybe a one-percent chance or more of being the real deal". It has received no outside publicity that I know of, and there have been no geologist chiming in nor marine biologist - and I would think it'd be of interest to them. A 1% chance of being a fossil found on Mars is, to me, something which should be studied and discussed by the professional community, and this is one of those scarce finds.

edit on 5-4-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 05:59 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

Actually Blueshift spotted this first .. he has a 100% magnification policy that's reliable as clockwork

heres a blowup for your eyes to make the comparison

funBOx

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Discuss the topic and not each other, please, and without insults.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Aleister
Great....yet sorry Arken, this was found by BlueShift long long ago (February 27) in a thread close close by, the anomalies thread. This is one of the better finds on the thread, and imaged very well by BlueShift and others. I'll go find the original post, and then you can read from there. Thanks for getting more opinions about the discovery though, this is a major one imnho and one of the finds which do seem to hold credibility.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Nonetheless....what I suggest is that this thread keep going and get to the main page, because this is a major find, likely in the range of "maybe a one-percent chance or more of being the real deal". It has received no outside publicity that I know of, and there have been no geologist chiming in nor marine biologist - and I would think it'd be of interest to them. A 1% chance of being a fossil found on Mars is, to me, something which should be studied and discussed by the professional community, and this is one of those scarce finds.

You wouldn't want to hear what a geologist, paleontologist or marine biologist has to say. They would say what I have been saying: it cannot possibly be an ammonite, it is too asymmetrical to be the shell of a mollusc or other invertebrate, and the absence of multiple copies suggest that it is a random fluke rather than a member of a population integrated into an ecosystem. In other words, it is pareidolia.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 06:04 AM
link   
reply to post by funbox

funbox and anomaly thread folks, check out the fourth and fifth pics in Arkens OP, look familiar? We've been finding lots of images that remind me of those. Arken, where did you grab that fourth one, and what is it called on Earth (we all them 'spoke creatures', kind of a pet name, although not in latin).

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 06:05 AM
link   

funbox
reply to post by DJW001

Actually Blueshift spotted this first .. he has a 100% magnification policy that's reliable as clockwork

heres a blowup for your eyes to make the comparison

funBOx

The one on the right looks more like a figure 8 or tai chi symbol than a spiral.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

likely, possibly, and odds on, but....worth a look. The color on this one is what grabs, the object itself is not the same color as its surroundings.

There have been a few others like this, I believe, and lots of accumulating things (come by the thread and be another unofficial devil's advocate). And no, I'd enjoy hearing what they'd say. I do agree that there should be many more of them on the same rock or similar rocks if it were a Mars fossil, but the loner may have wandered off from the group....? (but all of that logic is using earth logic and earth biology, maybe things evolving on other planets take their own route)

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

there you go , that wasn't so difficult now was it

a number eight you say?, cant see itmyself , but then , I cant see in your universe yet

funBox

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 06:33 AM
link   
The object does have some interesting symmetry, and does stand out from it's surroundings. It lacks the definition we see in most Earth fossils, but then again, this is not Earth. If I was tooling around Mars, and saw it, I am sure I would at least have a closer look.

While I do not see many of the things you have pointed out in most of your finds, Arken; there are indeed some that really stand out, this being one. I believe Mars has some real surprises yet to be revealed, and you are helping in the realization of that effort. Keep it up!

BTW: Looking at it closer, especially with it's immediate surroundings, it has more of characteristics of what we would call choral, then anything else, in MHO.

edit on 5-4-2014 by charlyv because: -2pts sp

edit on 5-4-2014 by charlyv because: add something

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

I think blueshift and yourself deserve credit for this one ... the former for first mentioning this find, and the latter for creating a thread on this interesting feature incl. the comparisons presented in the OP.

I'd love to see the source link to the very last image in your OP (incl. further details as to what kind of fossils we are looking at there, are those also ammonites?). They do bear a certain resemblance to some of the eroded features we've spotted up to now ... thanks in advance!

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join