It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Import ban on 5.45x39 7N6 {steel core} ammo

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Apparently...BATFE has just recently banned the importation of 5.45x39 7N6 [steel core] Russian ammo. ATF slapped the hammer down, when somebody built a pistol that can shoot the 5.45x39 armor piercing round; which has nothing to do with current sanctions on Russia.

I'm not quite sure...but I believe ATF has also banned the sale of this type of ammo, here in the United States. Any verification of this, will be greatly appreciated by me.

www.youtube.com...
edit on 30-3-2014 by Erno86 because: making the link work

edit on 30-3-2014 by Erno86 because: ditto

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   
This didn't take place recently. There has been a ban on importing armor piercing for quite a few years now.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   
www.bulkammo.com...

www.thebangswitch.com...

Rumors have been circulating that last two days that the BATF has stopped the importation of steel core 5.45×39 ammo. After reading this news on social media, I’m sure many of you fired up your browser and gave Google a thorough workout trying to find a copy of the official BATF letter that gives the smack down to cheap 7N6 ammo… and like me you were probably unable to find such a letter. That’s probably because such a letter doesn’t currently exist. The rumor stems from an importer who had filed a Form 6 to bring in a shipment of 7N6 surplus ammo from Russia. The form approval went well past 2 weeks, which is the normal time frame for a Form 6 to be approved by the BATF. The importer emailed the BATF to find out what was going on with this particular import request and received this email response back. - See more at: www.thebangswitch.com...
this may be relevent to the op

www.thehighroad.org... seems it varies from state to state but i see AP ammo on my local gun shop stores regularly

you are allowed to load your own ap rounds as well just not sell them

www.ar15.com...&page=4#i46452288 so i guess op was on to something guess its time to start ordering bulk components that arent put together to get around this

www.americasfreedomfighters.com... according to this link(no idea of credibility) it has to do with his last round of sanctions against russia? dunno if i buy it but figured it would be of interest to you guys

seems its just them trying to ban it under the pistol caliber rule that atf uses to get around alot of things as one gun was made in this caliber so now magicly now all ammo of that caliber is pistol now despite being mostly used in rifles

www.youtube.com... phone call to the atf some one posted to youtube
edit on 30-3-2014 by RalagaNarHallas because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   

seems its just them trying to ban it under the pistol caliber rule that atf uses to get around alot of things as one gun was made in this caliber so now magicly now all ammo of that caliber is pistol now despite being mostly used in rifles - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

This right here reminds me of here in crappy nyistan where even at a local walmart you cannot buy 9mm rounds for a high point rifle due to it being considered a pistol round. Well I shall rephrase that, you need to have a pistol permit. Local gun shops sure no problem, but then again you lose the cheaper price which sometimes is in the range of a 10- 15 dollar difference. So when counting pennies 10 - 15 bucks is quite a bit of change.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Will this make AK74's more or less valuable in the US?

eta, Oh, it's just a special type of round, not all of them. nevermind.
edit on 30-3-2014 by jessejamesxx because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   

jessejamesxx
Will this make AK74's more or less valuable in the US?

eta, Oh, it's just a special type of round, not all of them. nevermind.
edit on 30-3-2014 by jessejamesxx because: (no reason given)

The ATF ban on the 5.45X39 JN6 ammo, will certainly drive up the price of other 5.45x39 ammo. It might discourage people from buying AR uppers in the 5.49x39 caliber; who will now probably chose the 5.56x45.

I liked the corrosive 7N6, because I used to buy 2,160 rounds for $260 plus $40 shipping. Now...the cost of 5.45x39 is only a few dollars cheaper than 5.56x45; so I'll be more conservative in my rapid fire shooting at our range. That means less fun in my pursuit of the shooting sports. Actually...the 7N6 uses mild steel core.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Apparently...BATFE has just recently banned the importation of 5.45x39 7N6 [steel core] Russian ammo. ATF slapped the hammer down, when somebody built a pistol that can shoot the 5.45x39 armor piercing round; which has nothing to do with current sanctions on Russia.

From what I understand, there's been a few 5.45x39 pistols floating around in the US for a couple years now. I believe the first was made roughly 2 years ago. Not many have been made because the ATF says that once you make a pistol that can fire steel core ammunition, no steel core military surplus ammunition of that caliber may be imported.

Key words from what the ATF says - "Steel core (armor piercing by their definition)", and "military surplus".

This is basically the same repeat of what happened to 7.62x39 back in the mid 90's. I believe the company was Olympic Arms, and they made the first 7.62x39 pistol, which made the ATF ban 7.62x39 military surplus steel core. Olympic Arms really took a lot of heat from the gun community for this, since the days of super cheap 7.62x39 were over, as now super cheap 5.45x39 is over.

If there's one positive that can be the outcome of this, is that there will now be an massive influx of 5.45x39 pistols being made and hitting the market. The same happened since 7.62x39 mil surp was banned. 7.62x39 pistols have flooded the market and are now cheaper than the cheapest AK rifles.

I'm not quite sure...but I believe ATF has also banned the sale of this type of ammo, here in the United States. Any verification of this, will be greatly appreciated by me.

It's only the importation of the military surplus steel core. The importers filing Form 6's for ammo imports will be denied to import 7n6 ammo. There will still be the commercial, non mil surp ammo on the shelves. Im guessing companies like Monarch, Tula, Wolf, and Red Army Standard will capitalize on this and will ramp up/start sending their commercial 5.45 over the sea here in much larger quantities. This could lead to a fall in commercial 5.45, since these companies will be flooding the market with their ammo and also competing against eachother.

For example, look at the prices of Tula, Monarch, or Wolf 7.62x39 ammo. It's some of the cheapest rifle ammo out there at the moment. The lowest price of those are 21 or 22 cents a round currently, and it's extremely abundant.

When the 7n6 was the cheapest in the past few months, it was 15 to 18 cents a round. Compared to the other cheapest 5.45 ammo currently, Wolf, Silver Bear, and Red Army Standard are selling it for roughly 24 to 25 cents a round. Let those companies ramp up production and flood the market, and you will see the 24 to 25 cents per round drop to the same as commercial 7.62x39. There's probably going to be a small increase in the price of 5.45 commercial ammo for a little while (maybe a year at most), but it will drop once the market is flooded.
edit on 3-4-2014 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Also, if anyone's wondering why Tula, Wolf, Monarch, etc.... can be imported, it's because they have a lead core.

There's a myth out there where some people believe that if you stick a magnet to a bullet and it sticks, that means it's 100% steel core. That's false. Tula, Wolf, etc.... use bi-metal jackets with a lead core. These companies make their jackets with a layer of copper and then a layer of steel underneath the copper, because steel is cheaper than copper. The magnet sticks to the steel layer in the jacket and not the core.

7n6 was some of the last ammo that was allowed to be imported with an actual steel (mild) core, until now. From what I understand, the only steel core ammo that can be imported now is the surplus 7.62x54r.

ETA - Almost forgot, but 8mm Mauser (7.92x57mm) military surplus steel core can still be imported to, since there's no 8mm Mauser pistol out there. (8mm Mauser milsurp is very rare anyways. Ive only seen the Romanian corrosive milsurp stuff in the past few years, and it's pretty expensive for milsurp stuff)
edit on 3-4-2014 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 04:15 PM
link   
"OFFICIALLY BANNED"

Test, Examination and Classification of 7N6 5.45x39 Ammunition
edit on 8-4-2014 by Erno86 because: making the link to work

edit on 8-4-2014 by Erno86 because: ditto

edit on 4/8/2014 by Mirthful Me because: Fixed Link...

top topics

join