It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report: Fred Phelps, founder of Westboro Baptist Church, near death

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by AnimatedMatter

never mind.
edit on 3/16/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   
My heart bleeds for him.

Not really, the chickens are coming home to roost.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   
You know the fact he devoted so much energy to negativity and being hostiles, imao has probably weakened his immune system greatly over the years. Would we say he was a type A pattern? He seemed very devoted to hating.

plus he looked a billion years old.
edit on 16-3-2014 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Sadly he didn't learn one of the cardinal rules. Love thy neighbor as thy self.
Tells me he never knew how to love in the first place. I still reach out my hand
to him in love. He is still a human and that is the story I weave.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by thaelin

Yeah, do what Jesus would do.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   

thaelin
Tells me he never knew how to love in the first place. I still reach out my hand

Sadly, I doubt he loves himself, so this would make it easier for him to hate.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   
"War is not the answer, for only love can conquer hate"

The hate wont stop with him, it will continue until the world as a whole can learn compassion and tolerance. as a Young Gay Male who has been on the receiving end of hate i could be happy, and i could celebrate, but that would only contribute to the hate in the world.

Their "Church" is disrespectful to people and their family in vulnerable times, ignorant hate and malice, but at the same time it is showing people what hate is, it is showing what the extremes of intolerance and discrimination are based on "Religious Principles"

Sexuality is not wrong, or an abomination, it is not a choice or a "Preference" but Religion is, being hateful is...

so i wont celebrate his death, i'll pay it no mind... well... even though i am a Vegetarian maybe i'll eat some Shell Fish Tonight

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I can see that many of you here are missing the real message about this.

HATE DESTROYS PEOPLE and it doesn't matter where it comes from.

This pastor should be pitied not hated, if you keep hating anyone, you are giving hatred a continuance to wreak havoc on more people.

He allowed his personal feelings about gays to become his "scripture" but the Christian faith and others do not promote hating anyone, if someone says it does, it is only them that are lying.

This pastor did this to make his position seem as though he had authority and was representing God.
The pastor was changing what is true, for that which he wanted the truth to be seen as. This doesn't represent the Christian faith.

Don't wish him or anyone else into hell, and do not ever hope for someone to be sent there. It is a sign of childishness to keep on hating and discarding those that offend you into the "go to hell" basket.

Instead, hope for, and teach people to love again and understand truth again. By stopping the chain of hatred.

It really is this simple.
edit on 16-3-2014 by alienreality because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Okay now does anyone else hope he says right before he dies that he was secretly for the gay lifestyle, would that not just blow minds?

This could put a bit of life into the WBC as now they can use this death as a foundation for future protests, you know we're doing this for our founder.

Kind of sad if you think about it.
edit on 16-3-2014 by tsurfer2000h because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Maybe a peace and forgiveness "protest" is in order. Have every one show up at his funeral with signs about love, acceptance and forgiveness, and sing songs about peace and goodness and joy.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Sorry...

This guy is a piece of trash. A puppet used by the MSM to make people of faith look bad.

He delivered every single time.

What will the media do without their go to guy on hate?

Oh, never mind his pathetic family will faithfully will carry on this ridiculous church.

He can't die quick enough for me.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   

whyamIhere
Sorry...

This guy is a piece of trash. A puppet used by the MSM to make people of faith look bad.

He delivered every single time.

What will the media do without their go to guy on hate?

Oh, never mind his pathetic family will faithfully will carry on this ridiculous church.

He can't die quick enough for me.

a lot of his family have pretty much written him off as he abused the hell out of them.. The church also has excommunicated Phelps (and some of his children as well) and are of course carrying on, which is the ironic part..

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   

calstorm
Maybe a peace and forgiveness "protest" is in order. Have every one show up at his funeral with signs about love, acceptance and forgiveness, and sing songs about peace and goodness and joy.

I agree!

Show him, Westboro Baptist the better side of humanity.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   
"Do not judge, lest ye be judged too"

I'm guessing he's in for a heaping helping of judgement on the other side myself.

I hope the LGBT groups show some maturity and leave his funeral be though. Two wrongs never make a right and it would be nice to show the hypocrites that we can be the bigger person.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   

~Lucidity
Some of y'all seem to be forgetting the dude wasn't even a real hater. He was a money-grubbing opportunist preying on the hate others threw at him and his.

In a way that is even worse, since it would mean he didnt even really believe in the hate he was propagating... at least a person who believes the hate they spew are being true to themselves and honest, and in a odd way I can respect that.

Personally I think when you die, if anything survives it has to live with the sudden realisation of all the things its done and the consequences of those actions which given it no longer resides in a finite dulling shell would be fairly comprehensive, the resulting level of guilt or despair over such things is technically a self imposed Hell.

We make our own hell... unfortunately, id say he's gonna be gnashing teeth and wailing for a while given what he's done... but he's only got himself to blame for that.Some day in eternity he might finally forgive himself and accept the wrongs he did.
edit on 16-3-2014 by BigfootNZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   
seems like people don't care about the hate rhetoric unless it comes form a Christian church but have any of you guys checked out the material Farrakhan's Nation of Islam (HIO)puts out! while we wont see Farrakhan's NOI lackeys boycotting funerals they steal funds from the govt for farm subsidies without filing an annual report or having a farm and the IRS is mum.

There members wont get business licenses to do hair braiding and other treatments from the States beauticians boards as everyone else does.

They have the wildest of wildest interpretation of Ezk 10 while at the same time saying the Bible is inaccurate.

They hate and condemn inter-racial marriage and call their children's unholy trash.

They are just as anti-gay as Westboro Baptist ever was.

And yet none of you are saying anything about NOI.

Next time you see one of their members standing on a corner or at the store front buy one of their monthly newspapers. It's a hoot to say the least. Enough to get you angry at them for sure because they say the white race is of the devil and that God only created the black race.

edit on 16-3-2014 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 06:39 PM
link   

calstorm

This actually sounds like a fantastic idea
It would show those that were targeted by Phelps have more love and compassion than the average Christian.
It would show the average Christian is as flawed and arrogant in some issues as Phelps.

Sadly though this wont happen, those who hate Phelps will respond to his funeral as Phelps and his people responded to others.

Those who hate him will do just the same as he lead his followers to do, as if he was leading them.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 06:42 PM
link   

thaelin

or "let no corrupt communication proceed from thy mouth" Paraphrased

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I've been pondering how to reply to this. No doubt that what this man did is thoroughly despicable. Westboro is so universally despised that it's considered bad form to use them against your opponent on the internet for the most part. Consider how low that is.

But I'll be honest, as despicable as he is, I can't hate him. As much as I despise what he spent all of my life doing, I still can't wish him to hell.

What happens after he leaves here is between him and God, and judgment is God's and God's alone.

And there is this.

As he lies there is the hospice, excommunicated from the church he started, they're also blocking the family members who left from coming to see him. How miserable for him.

And so it ends. Can you imagine having come to the end of your life, very nearly to the moment in which you will meet your God and be reckoned with, and all you have to show for it is … that? I’ve always thought the Westboro Baptist Church people were despicable, but there is something about the thought of that old man lying on his death bed, forsaken, the victim of his own sins, that makes me pity him.

Even now, even for him, there is still the chance to repent, but again, that will be between himself and God. And I think only God will be able to truly judge that.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

That would be awesome.

For those who survive him to offer peace, even at his funeral. Would he have done for others? I don't know.
Like I said, I'd like to see someone pick his brain and ask him some questions while he's on the brink.

(It happens to all of us - why not ask the exiting to please talk about their pre-exit experience?)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join