It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google Glass Gripes

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Tech writer attacked by San Francisco bar-goers for wearing Google Glass

www.latimes.com...

A San Francisco woman who says she was attacked at a bar on Haight Street after refusing to stop wearing Google Glass has released video footage of the incident that she filmed with the new technology that spurred the confrontation in the first place.

Who goes to bars anyway? I'm over 30 and never stepped foot in one and doubt I would ever.. but to each his own.

I believe the issue at hand is given that Google-Glass is banned in many public places due to security issues, it would make sense the vast majority of public places would have a privacy issue with it as well.

My impression of bars (as opposed to lounges, cafes) is of a place to socialize while consuming alcohol. I can see two-fold how people would not want to be video'd or whatever while under the influence, as well as the lets says.. UNINHIBITED response one would get say they enter a bar with a video camera.

Who's behind the Google brand, anyways.. CIA =D

Google Glass: Public NSA Surveillance Program?

edit on 16-3-2014 by gardener because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by gardener

It is really the same as walking around with a video camera on everyone all night....it is invading and annoying. I dont even like when my friends take pictures or videos of myself during a night out let alone just random strangers.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   
That idiot got exactly what she had coming to her. Just because a good number of people are into social media and are comfortable being under constant surveillance and enjoy sharing every aspect of their life with the entire planet, doesn't mean every one is or should be. If you want to film/photograph/record someone in a manner that may threaten their sense of privacy, especailly when they're just tring to relax and have a good time, show some damned decency and ask permission first!

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by cosmicexplorer

well.. no. it's no different than most other android devices. except it is active. It's not always recording.

She was recording it on purpose, no different than if you were walking around with your android phone recording someone.

If someone had walked up to you and snatched your phone.. but wait, don't tell me, you don't have one of those obnoxious 'smart fones' because you are not going to submit to the nsa spying on ya.

Well if someone had walked up to me and snatched my device, no matter if I had glued it to a hat, I'd be uploading a bit more than OMG.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   

FatherStacks
That idiot got exactly what she had coming to her. Just because a good number of people are into social media and are comfortable being under constant surveillance and enjoy sharing every aspect of their life with the entire planet, doesn't mean every one is or should be. If you want to film/photograph/record someone in a manner that may threaten their sense of privacy, especailly when they're just tring to relax and have a good time, show some damned decency and ask permission first!

Google glass is not just a video camera.

Lmao here come the amish...

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 09:47 AM
link   

FatherStacks
That idiot got exactly what she had coming to her.

I have a sneaking suspicion that google-glass wearers are gonna be the next victims of the knockout game.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Im trying to picture myself walking into a bar holding my smartphone camera forward at the drinkers as they babble.

Oh wait, why am I there?

I need to free my hands up to stir this drink. Lemme stick this phone on my forehead with a headband. There, this footage is going to be so awesome for my blog!

Better yet, imagine being drunken and making out with strangers (or maybe clients) in a place you thought you could let lose, and someone filming that and putting it on YT and your boss sees it.

The possibilities with surveillance of strangers behavior in public places is endless. It could easily be used for framing people for a murder or whatever.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by juspassinthru

Google Glass is the stupidest thing ever. Anyone wanting to wear one has some very serious issues.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   
As a long time bar man we NEVER EVER allowed cameras guns or knives in the beverage rooms.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Run a portable sony HD cam to an Occulous Rift, wear a balaclava and hoody maybe fit a 4G hotspot with custom antenna to it.

Im sure the police will have no questions for you lol.

Kinda funny these peoples reactions, I bet these are the same kinda folks who got a kick out of burning people at the stake back in the day for being A DUCK, I mean witch.

No wonder the dums dums need cleansed of this planet.
edit on 16-3-2014 by Bellor because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 09:58 AM
link   

FatherStacks

So, following your theory, if i choose to film a stag night or a hen night in a public place, that gives someone the right to attack and rob me because they feel "their sense of privacy is under attack" ??

If i tape the cars passing in the street or my kid in the park the same applies..

What kind of logic are you vomiting..

What the dude in the street said summed it up perfectly..

Sounds like she is a girl who earns well and bought the glasses, and made the mistake of entering a shi+hole of a bar where some jealous drunks gave her a beating..

The same incident would have happened if she'd have been using an iphone...beaten by a group of hillbillies who felt threatend by the girl and her "alien technology"..

"People here don't like technology..." So if i go to the bar and use my cell phone do they have the right to knife me??

Ask permission ??

What planet are you on..
edit on AM7Sun20141972 by andy1972 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Google glass is not just a video camera.

Lmao here come the amish...

Really, I had no idea!
(sarcasm)
edit on 16-3-2014 by FatherStacks because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 10:06 AM
link   
if I encountered one of these people recording me with these glasses on, it might lead to an altercation....I think it should be said, if a couple of people are still living in caves, that ANYTHING CONNECTED to any network, can be seen by any person, any country, any organization, any agency, any corporation.......and PERMENANTLY RECORDED without permission or knowledge.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

Must be a disaster when you withdraw money from an ATM and you just begin to blindly attack it for recording you. Mate, you must just be a trail of destruction every where you go!, train station, bus station, supermarket! pretty much everywhere, surprised your not in jail.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 10:11 AM
link   
PARANOIA...pure paranoia.

Nice to see people condoning neandethal behaviour..

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   

andy1972

"People here don't like technology..." So if i go to the bar and use my cell phone do they have the right to knife me??

Ask permission ??

What planet are you on..

For god's sake, of course not. I don't condone violence against anyone. *And in the video she claims to have been verbally harassed and had the glasses pulled from her face- inappropriate? Yes. A "beating"? No.* But I also don't believe people should be able to film anyone anywhere any time- its a little self-centered to think you have a right to do so. Like it or not, people are offended by such intrusions, especially inside an establishment. I would extend that to on the streets as well if you got up close to someone and filmed their conversations.

Where people should and should not be allowed to film, in my opinion, can't be explicitly stated. It's a continuum of shades of grey. Contexts are important and change. No matter what extreme example you propose, I'm going to disagree with you on this particular case.

And why does not willing to be on film every second = technophobe? Absolute nonsense.
edit on 16-3-2014 by FatherStacks because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Bellor
reply to post by jimmyx

Must be a disaster when you withdraw money from an ATM and you just begin to blindly attack it for recording you. Mate, you must just be a trail of destruction every where you go!, train station, bus station, supermarket! pretty much everywhere, surprised your not in jail.

my expectation of NOT being recorded, would be by any "stranger off the street" in a private setting (home, car, backyard, or personal property), or a place where I might be imbibing in alcohol (bar, private celebration, etc.)....and don't forget, these glasses can do this without your knowledge, by anyone, anywhere. when I go to any of the places you suggest, I do not have an expectation of privacy, hence, the lack of an arrest record.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   

sn0rch
Well if someone had walked up to me and snatched my device, no matter if I had glued it to a hat, I'd be uploading a bit more than OMG.
Saying you would upload something presumes you would still be conscious.

Certain behaviors are welcome in some places and unwelcome in others, and if people don't know which behaviors are unwelcome in the place they are currently in, they shouldn't be surprised if they get a "reminder" which can sometimes be unpleasant. Molotovs, the bar she went into, is not a place where behavior such as wearing Google Glass is welcome. I learned the hard way that some behaviors are not welcome in some bars...I told a joke someone didn't like and almost didn't live to tell the story.

You can debate whether this is as it should be or not all you want, but this is the way it actually is.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I understand the reasons for her smackdown (many already stated here) but do not condone that kind of behavior in response. Then again...drunk people in bars don't always behave predictably or politely.

ETA: I will add that I don't appreciate knowing that whenever I leave my house I can wind up on the web via these ZOMG social media freaks.
edit on 3/16/2014 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Arbitrageur
Certain behaviors are welcome in some places and unwelcome in others, and if people don't know which behaviors are unwelcome in the place they are currently in, they shouldn't be surprised if they get a "reminder" which can sometimes be unpleasant. Molotovs, the bar she went into, is not a place where behavior such as wearing Google Glass is welcome. I learned the hard way that some behaviors are not welcome in some bars...I told a joke someone didn't like and almost didn't live to tell the story.

You can debate whether this is as it should be or not all you want, but this is the way it actually is.

Thank you for being far more articulate than I am.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join