It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Army Vet cuts down Mexican Flag flying over American Flag

page: 24
<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by alldaylong

Your comments on the US needing help in the Revolutionary War, and another statement about illegal colonies.

I am not sure we needed all 13 colonies to become the nation that we are.

I think the Dutch, French, and the numerous German immigrants, as well as Swedish colonies contributed. We weren't all British.

The thing is, the pilgrims did not immigrate to the US, they colonized the new world.

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

You must be from the Eastern Seaboard, On the Left West Coast they have those plus Little Tijuana, Little Tokyo, Little Seoul, Not to mention Little Moscow....

Just to name a few

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 05:55 PM
link   

poet1b

Your comments on the US needing help in the Revolutionary War, and another statement about illegal colonies.

I am not sure we needed all 13 colonies to become the nation that we are.

I think the Dutch, French, and the numerous German immigrants, as well as Swedish colonies contributed. We weren't all British.

The thing is, the pilgrims did not immigrate to the US, they colonized the new world.

Oregon was also British, but we never count that one.

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 05:59 PM
link   

alldaylong
Oregon was also British, but we never count that one.

Ever been?

I lived there for almost 11 years

ETA: Lousy Clam Chowder

Great Salmon
edit on 9-3-2014 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 06:02 PM
link   

I know who Thomas Paine was.

I think Jonathan Locke was the Brit who had the most influence.

Who had been in exile, came over with William of Orange on the same ship, when he was made King of England, or something like that.

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   

whyamIhere

You guys are hung up on the minor property crime.

I would not call any property crime "minor".

To me one of the reason America was founded was for the respect for private property!
Private ownership! It one of your keystones!

Im my opinion the ONLY excuse one has to enter and interfere with ones property is if you have a warrant. NO exceptions

To say "its just a property crime" is more a insult to America than the flag.

whyamIhere
It was a display of American pride.

Pride should not trump under any circumstances the right of private property.

No warrant no excuse.
edit on 9-3-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   

poet1b
reply to post by iRoyalty

No, my ancestor arrived in the new world as colonists, not immigrants. There was no US for anyone to immigrate to at that time. They were Dutch, not British.

There is a significant difference.

Your slight difference is a rather large license, and I think you and I will always view this differently. Colonialism has never sat well with me intrinsically. By its nature and some definitions, colonialism it is segregated and standoffish, with no attempts to assimilate but only to overtake and then recreate what they had elsewhere...same customs, same language, same government, initially at least. And see, I think maybe therein lies the gist of this problem. There is an intrinsic colonial fear that others who immigrate here will do the same and knock them out. But we're way past that point.

No matter what you call it or how you choose to view it, your ancestors were immigrants. They immigrated to a place of which they were not native. Doesn't matter what name it was called then or is called today. This was a place with indigenous people and natural borders and an established way of life and government called something that it is not called now. Just because they chose not to recognize this doesn't make it any less true. It's possible to be both.

To argue that this country was not build by immigrants, forced or otherwise, before or after any legalized immigration policy, quite literally built by them, is to be in some pretty serious denial using some pretty complicated twisting of words. Roads, railroads, skyscrapers bridges, farms, businesses, all built by immigrants arriving in waves or one at a time/ All of whom contributed to making this country what it became.

And if they hadn't come, more of your colonists may have gone the way of the Roanoke colony. So manipulate the words and semantics all you want if that's what you need to do to make your type of American feel larger and more important than others. Like I said, I won't ever entirely agree with you. And that's okay.

edit on 3/9/2014 by ~Lucidity because: fixed two typos

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   

boymonkey74

Not to say I am not proud of my country I sure am but a flag is just well a flag.

I think pride in the UK takes on a different form than flag worship.

I honestly think it stems from the blitz when pride of country was helping dig through rubble that is your neighbors bombed out house to help retrieve the body's of his family without giving into to despair.

link   

MmmPie
ATS, where people come to # on everything the US does and talk crap about how bad it sucks to live here...but you better not disrespect the flag!

What a bunch of jokers.

I can't stop laughing at how stupid this is.

Yeah. Suddenly the patriotism comes out... It makes no sense. The American flag should not even be around a Mexican neighborhood. I bet he won't go to China town and do this.

link   

captaintyinknots
How can some people in this thread be so defensive about the flag while taking a piss on what it stands for?

You are either pro free speech or against it. If you try to pick and choose who gets it you are disrespecting the flag more than the person in the story did....

It also seem like most here are against the right to private property too!

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 06:10 PM
link   

whyamIhere

Look at your own bloody history.

The argument given when there argument is failing

Id say the USA and UK are pretty much moral equals

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   

poet1b

What if your neighbor put up a NAZI flag?

Wouldn't bother you at all?

It would piss me off. But I wouldn't touch it as I respect the right of private property.

No warrant no entry.

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   

poet1b

This claim that immigrants built this country is simply not true.

The people who founded the US are the original citizens of the country, the USA. Before that point there was no USA. Everyone who was here at that time and chose to be loyal to the US, could be a part of the country. They were not immigrants, they were the founders.

It seems all too many people do not want to give credit to the people who founded the US, and want to give it all to the immigrants, who only came here after the pioneers created this nation.

As far as the people living in the territory that would become the US, a great number of them joined our civilization and their descendants live among us in relative anonymity.

It the original colonists hadn't occupied the areas that the US eventually occupied, than the Spanish, or someone else would have, and the Spanish were far more brutal than the people who built the US.
!
If you think we are too macho here in the US, try living in Mexico and see how much more fair they are.

Im sorry that disgusting and out right stupid.

Immigrants are why you went from a bunch of farmers to a superpower.

There was a HUGE gap between 1783 and 2014. It was immigrants that built your rail roads and it was immigrants that spearheaded the industrial revolution.

And lets not forget the millions of slaves you brought there even after the British left!

In fact a good percentage of AMERICANS likely descended from the post 1783 immigrants!

10000000000000000000000 anti stars

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

Nobody denies cutting down the mans flag was illegal. A petty misdemeanor, but a crime.

Improperly flying the American Flag is a crime (although not punishable).

I would not of done this. I would of informed the store owner about flag etiquette.

If he went out and fixed it. No problem.

I think most people would comply.

The Vet committed a property crime. Find a cop that would arrest him?

Good Luck...

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   

TheLieWeLive
I'm willing to bet they didn't know the law. This looks like a restaurant or store front so I can't imagine they would willing want to bring bad publicity to their business.

I understand why the man did what he did but it makes you wonder if the business owner was even asked to lower the flags first. All the new anchor said was there was pictures and comments on Craigslist as of 11:00 that morning. Craigslist?

Wouldn't taking the flag be considered theft?

Best reply so far, I could even understand the vet being angry about flag flying. However the vet is ignorant once he starts to talk about vets who died, there is no correlation to the Mexican flag and dead veterans as if the Alamo, and if he was talking about the Alamo.. feck me! he is a dickhead bar none.

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   

whyamIhere
Here is a sample test legal immigrants must pass.

IFreeman.com

The difference is, if you just jump a fence of course you don't respect our laws.

If you follow the law and learn a little about America. You are welcome with open arms.

America was built on legal immigration.

Lol that it? I got all 96

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   

crazyewok

whyamIhere
Here is a sample test legal immigrants must pass.

IFreeman.com

The difference is, if you just jump a fence of course you don't respect our laws.

If you follow the law and learn a little about America. You are welcome with open arms.

America was built on legal immigration.

Lol that it? I got all 96

96. That's pretty darn good.

I would be willing to bet 90% of the population could not break 70.

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Battleline

One of your UK mongrels as you call them made a comment that " no one gives a damn in the UK, to most here a flag is just a bit of material of little importance " . This helps me understand your anger and misunderstanding as to why someone in America might have such a deep feeling for a piece of material.

It has nothing to do with material but what it stands for, something being from the UK you would never understand.

Believing in nothing while your country is being taken by people that will assimilate you into THERE culture or kill you must be very stressful, I'm sorry if I have offended you, I wish you and your mongrels ( as you put it ) well.

O look there's a surprise.

A American that took what I said out of context!

I did not say we are "Believing in nothing" in nothing or we don't have to "stands for".

As for

Battleline
something being from the UK you would never understand.

That just patronizing yanky doodle BS

Fact is we express out pride in OTHER ways. Get it? different culture.

Maybe when your country goes through 1 and half years of having basically a 9/11 happening every week you may just understand how a nation may outgrow symbolism and view there pride in another way.

No I Understand the USA takes pride in there flag. BUT my point was pride doesn't trump right to private property.

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

You sound like an idiot because you lack any knowledge of the law. It's illegal in the United States to fly any flag above the Unites States flag. In fact, the only state that's allowed to fly it's flag at the same level as the US flag (but not above), is Texas and that's because Texas was it's own sovereign nation before it joined the union.

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   

poet1b

Im sure the natives have a much different take on that.......

top topics

<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join