It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So a country boy can survive? EPA Wants to Snuff out Wood and Pellet Stoves. with a mini ice coming

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Well, this is interesting: i backed up the forbes article with an alex jones article because I know a lot of people don't trust Forbes because its so loud and boisterous..
the epa link in the Infowars article is 404 but i suppose there are enough verification that this is going down...

EPA's Wood-Burning Stove Ban Has Chilling Consequences For Many Rural People

While EPA’s most recent regulations aren’t altogether new, their impacts will nonetheless be severe. Whereas restrictions had previously banned wood-burning stoves that didn’t limit fine airborne particulate emissions to 15 micrograms per cubic meter of air, the change will impose a maximum 12 microgram limit. To put this amount in context, EPA estimates that secondhand tobacco smoke in a closed car can expose a person to 3,000-4,000 micrograms of particulates per cubic meter.

Most wood stoves that warm cabin and home residents from coast-to-coast can’t meet that standard. Older stoves that don’t cannot be traded in for updated types, but instead must be rendered inoperable, destroyed, or recycled as scrap metal.

The impacts of EPA’s ruling will affect many families. According to the U.S. Census Bureau’s 2011 survey statistics, 2.4 million American housing units (12 percent of all homes) burned wood as their primary heating fuel, compared with 7 percent that depended upon fuel oil

www.forbes.com...

EPA Wants to Snuff out Wood and Pellet Stoves

It took more than six weeks before the new EPA rules on wood and pellet stoves percolated into the media, which then generated pushback ranging from anger to outrage....www2.epa.gov...

...That will virtually end the burning of wood for heat or cooking in the United States, according to Reg Kelly, the owner and operator of Earth Outdoor Furnaces in Mountain Grove, Missouri: “There’s not a stove in the United States that can pass the test right now — this is the death knell of any wood burning.”

www.infowars.com...

So when you can't afford heat and you can't get any food, and the kids start to wine
How are you going to keep the glacier from the door?
turn in your guns?....
burn some neighbors to cook some neighbors who turned in their guns?
is it FEMA time?

edit on 6-3-2014 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 05:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

I remembered reading about this a while ago and sure enough, the Washington Times variant (hotlinked from the Forbes) was from last year. I think the 404 on the wood pellet source might be because it wasn't right/really there. EPA has a page talking about how clean wood pellet stoves are. See? www.epa.gov... They also still have a wood burning stove page as well: www.epa.gov...

Looks like they just want better filtration on the stoves in general, looking at both pages.

I actually used to have a pellet stove. It worked really well but honestly, since this is the survival forum, it requires buying commercially produce wood pellets. You can't burn a log in them. My advice would be to get one of the wood burning options as that doesn't require a factory to heat your home.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 05:31 AM
link   
They'd have to grandfather in existing wouldn't they? I bought a wood stove but never put it in, Guess I better get busy.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 05:34 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 05:35 AM
link   
I love my wood stove and will not comply. Matter of fact it will be coming with me when I move now that I read this bull....

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Yep, here is the EPA doing the bidding of others. Its all about cash, controlling markets ect. AND they are trying to nip in the bud the resurgence of wood burning, over the last 5 years, primarily as a means to save money. That's all the EPA is worried about.

edit on 6-3-2014 by Logarock because: n

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 05:41 AM
link   

ignorant_ape
please read this : the fireplace delusion , sam harris

Did you post this for a laugh? Because its pretty dam funny.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 05:52 AM
link   

ignorant_ape

I will take that seriously and be amazed once they admit that the landfills around us all are not killing us as well. Because of industry current and past in my area alone especially just realized by the epa in the past 2 years right here in my backyard. What I am talking about is the practice of dumping things that are toxic, it happened in the past and still happens today. And we pay the price daily for it with no option for relief. So you can see why I laugh at what your article is trying to say. Not one person in the epa or dec of ny is willing to relocate my family or simply buy our house even though they know full well what was put there in the ground around it, but I better get rid of my woodstove because it might cause cancer. Then we have nearby me a nice little plant that produces phosgene yep same as the ingredient in agent orange, all located within city limits. But those are acceptable and this is not........ Excuse me while I pound my head against my desk.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Now, as long as we are using the renewable resources responsibly and managing our forests properly, I see no harm in using wood for fuel. The key to success here is resource management. Not clear cutting forests where there is no growth from stripping all the trees without replanting or seeding new ones. We have to be smart here.

But, I will not allow some gov't crony tell me I can't heat my home with my own lands resources.
I'm not giving into the ever increasing prices of electricity or fuel oil to keep these mega-fat corporations and their cronies pockets full of my hard-earned cash. It is no wonder people are trying to find other means to heat their homes. Prices just keep going up and up with no signs of decreasing. What kind of system is that? The wrong kind.

The more I see these ideas from the gov't crop up, the more I believe it is better to be completely off grid and independent from the system. There is absolutely no way anyone could afford to keep paying into a system that manipulates prices everyday for their profit-driven companies and "share holders". It is beyond ludicrous. Ever notice why the gas prices change every day? Never see them drop below a certain amount yet the major oil companies boast about record profits each quarter. How is that possible without market manipulation or at the very least, inside influence, which is illegal.

We are going to have to take a stand at some point. This is getting out of hand.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by havok

Where possible I think geothermal is the way to go with solar or wind to power the pump, self sustained. Of course wood as a back up in that scenario. Matter of fact wood should at the very least always be a backup.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 06:08 AM
link   
As in the case of the previous EPA woodstove regulations, this would grandfather everything else. This is a small decrease in emissions from previous models which met the requirement pretty easily. Pellet stoves are already very clean and wood stoves have been using reburner designs and cats since the late 80s.

This is the same as a car. The new cars have to meet emissions regs, but the old ones still get to be on the road. The only difference in the case of stoves is that you cannot sell one that its out of reg (you can give it away), and a licensed installer will not install one (though you legally can in most cases). Cookstoves and masonry fireplaces are exempt. This kind of regulation really only affects new stove buyers. Also, once it is installed, you can pretty much do what you want to it (remove cat, etc.) unless you are selling your home as long as the install meets code (unrelated to EPA) as far as firewalls and min distance from combustibles etc. Also, your homeowners insurance may or may not determine rates based on the mfr date/EPA phase of your unit.

The bottom line here is that it will in no way limit your ability to burn wood or pellets. The new regs are going to be met with new stove models, and old stoves will still be running. The real concern is where state and local laws have literally made wood burning illegal in some areas irrespective of the device used.

Good link on EPA Woodstove regs and history

edit on 6-3-2014 by Halfswede because: added insurance info

edit on 6-3-2014 by Halfswede because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 06:13 AM
link   
reply to post by jaynkeel

Agreed. Always have a backup.
I am all for purely solar installations, but from where I live we only get an average of 4-5 hours sunlight daily. Using natural gas is a great alternative and so is propane but we again run across the ever increasing prices of the commodities themselves.

If there was a frugal alternative to properly heating a home without wood, then maybe we should be spending billions on that idea rather than investing in war. Sound like a proper solution...? Where is the gov't now?

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 06:21 AM
link   
reply to post by havok

Well I have heard very good things about geothermal. I wish we could get it here but it's not really done where I live that I know of. Besides I will be trading this tundra of a climate for a more tropical one soon, very soon...

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Won't be long before this happens in the UK. So many people have wood stoves and burn scrap wood now it's unreal.
I get broken pallets for mine. Free heat and hot water. Can't beat it.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 06:34 AM
link   

ignorant_ape

Great read but it sorta lost me when he said...Particles this size also resist gravitational settling, remaining airborne for weeks at a time. - See more at: www.samharris.org...

With my limited college physics he shouldn't have said that.

Also... instead of calling it illegal to burn wood why not filter the smoke? Does anyone see this as a viable solution to the pollution? Can these.. microns.... be filtered?

And since were on the topic of wood pellets I might as well say it..... a source out of Boston, MA said they were having a wood pellet shortage. Any connection?
edit on 6-3-2014 by Meditationplus because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-3-2014 by Meditationplus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 06:38 AM
link   

havok
reply to post by jaynkeel

If there was a frugal alternative to properly heating a home without wood, then maybe we should be spending billions on that idea rather than investing in war. Sound like a proper solution...? Where is the gov't now.

A lot of folks heat with electric. Electric is generated by coal burning power plants. The process of harvesting coal, mountain top clearing, has been very destructive to the natural environment. Wood burners don't even show up on the radar when this blip is on the screen.

And War? Stop using natural gas, a byproduct of the oil industry. In fact stop using petroleum all together. The next time you put a plastic spoon or bottle to your mouth think of some war torn village somewhere caught in the latest oil war. Wood burners don't even register at all on that rector scale.

But whats the government doing now? Telling country boy how to burn wood and pushing hit pieces on the relationship between religious fundamentalisms and wood burning.

Anyway do you see how stupid all this is when measured up to some real rhetoric?

What a sorry ass world we live in run by suck azzes.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Meditationplus

Also... instead of calling it illegal to burn wood why not filter the smoke? Does anyone see this as a viable solution to the pollution? Can these.. microns.... be filtered?

What needs to be filtered out of any real discussion on the issue......is Sam Harris.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

There is a really easy fix to this.... Resist

When they come to inspect...dont let em in..make em provide a warrant.

When they come with a warrant....let em get really close to the stove while its burning.....then be creative.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 07:44 AM
link   
All I heat with is wood and they do have a point. Non seasoned wood is woefully inefficient, pollutes the environment and kills people in chimney fires.

After what I went through this winter I am some what sick of the things-I have 2 and I have always enjoyed cutting and splitting good ole locust but enough is enough.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 07:51 AM
link   
This is just ludicrous. So they want to stop people using wood burning stoves, is this to force more people to be a slave to the Oil and Gas companies. Tell the EPA to shove it. I mea there are so many other things the EPA should be looking into, maybe starting twith the oil and gas companies first. EPA is a joke, they dont do anything for this country besides protect big business

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join