It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraq: Brit Soldiers Dressed As Arabs In car Packed With Explosives Captured

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 07:56 PM
link   
news.xinhuanet.com...

Iraqi police detained two British soldiers in civilian clothes in the southern city Basra for firing on a police station on Monday, police said.

"Two persons wearing Arab uniforms opened fire at a police station in Basra. A police patrol followed the attackers and captured them to discover they were two British soldiers," an Interior Ministry source told Xinhua.

The two soldiers were using a civilian car packed with explosives, the source said.

He added that the two were being interrogated in the police headquarters of Basra.

The British forces informed the Iraqi authorities that the two soldiers were performing an official duty, the source said. British military authorities said they could not confirm the incident but investigations were underway.

[edit on 20-9-2005 by John bull 1]

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Maybe they were Working "Undercover"?

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah
Maybe they were Working "Undercover"?

Do you really think they would do that?

Wouldn't that make them Enemy Combatants since they were not wearing their uniforms?

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 08:10 PM
link   
this nothing new the British Government have been doing this for years, a little trick they mastered in Ireland.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 08:13 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Of course it wouldn't.
They were on an approved operation from their superiors. There's another thread about this with all the latest information already. They WERE working undercover, and their release was negotiated.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
Of course it wouldn't.
They were on an approved operation from their superiors. There's another thread about this with all the latest information already. They WERE working undercover, and their release was negotiated.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Negotiated?

The Associated Press

Sep. 19, 2005 - In a major show of force, British soldiers used tanks to break down the walls of the central jail in this southern city late Monday and freed two Britons, allegedly undercover commandos, who had been arrested on charges of shooting two Iraqi policemen.

About 150 Iraqi prisoners also fled as British commandos stormed inside and rescued their comrades, said Aquil Jabbar, an Iraqi television cameraman who lives across the street from the jail. Earlier Monday, demonstrators hurled stones and Molotov cocktails at British tanks, and at least four people were killed.

The fighting in the oil city of Basra, 340 miles south of the capital, erupted after British armor encircled the jail where the two Britons were being held. During the melee one British soldier could be seen in a photograph scrambling for his life from a burning tank and the rock-throwing mob.

Arab satellite television stations showed pictures of two Western men sitting on the floor of the jail building with their hands tied behind their backs.

Continued.....
abcnews.go.com...

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Imho, it's more proof of the allied forces perpetuating and creating this "was on terror". Makes me feel ashamed to think that this is what our troops are fighting for.

Thanks for sharing this find.

Of course I've seen no mention of this on cnn tonight

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 08:36 PM
link   
How stupid...yet I disagree with the extending the war thing. Britain wants out, well, if it wants to go into iran that is...

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 08:40 PM
link   
An outer wall WAS broken down by British troops, but shortly after that their release was negotiated. The situation is still confused but full details will come out soon enough.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I don't know. Seems to me that if the Iraqui police are ineffective because "terrorists" are killing them then Blair can go to the parliment and show further "need" to garner support for brittish troops to stay. And though it shames me to say it I would not be the least bit supprised if american troops were involved in similar operations. Not widescale, but a few isolated hits here and there.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Perhaps the dirty war games and tricks to gain public approval is finally been discovered for what it is.

I will wait for more information on the issue to make my final decision of the whole deal.

By the way my husband wore the Arab clothing when he was doing business for the government while been active duty in the first gulf war.

I still have the outfit that was made for him just for the occasions.

But he didn't have any explosives with him.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 08:59 PM
link   
The whole war in Iraq is based in lies.

First was the Al qaeda link.......nope, that didn't work

Second was WMD's ........nope busted

Third was just that Sadam was a very bad man who did very bad things to his own people 10 years ago and we can prove it because WE gave him the chemical warfare to let Iraq and Iran kill themselves.......OOOps their still here!!!

Well ya got us Bush, how can we argue that with your dad holding the reciept.

Just more decption, why should this be any different.

[edit on 19/9/05 by redmage]

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 09:09 PM
link   
www.timesonline.co.uk...

"intelligence and facts were being fixed around the policy"

Sorry, there's probably already threads regarding the Downing Street memo and the lies about Iraq. I just get so frustrated knowing our troops are giving their lives for lies of the administration. I'll try to keep it focused on the two brits at hand from here on in.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Jebus! That’s absolutely outrageous! If those soldiers were being held for suspicion, the British can’t simply get them out of there with force. Soldiers killing government officials of another nation is an act of war. While Britain and Iraq is still in a state of war, depending on how you look at it, attacking in that manner just doesn’t look good when it’s in the middle of a “peace making” process. Because of that, Britain should have proven their boys innocent, as opposed to committing a hostile act out of desperation, as they did.

I think there’s more to the story and that something’s being overlooked. If not, then in time that’s how it’ll appear, when cover-ups are in place. A nation which isn’t involved in this conflict or the UN itself should send troops over there just to monitor what allied forces are doing, and making sure there’s not some crazy BS going on behind the scenes. Considering reports such as this one, I think there’s good reason to suspect something’s wrong, and to go ahead and do that.

If say Russia sent 50,000 troops to Iraq to shadow allied movements, and to guard locations such as police stations, who’s gonna stop them? Iraq isn’t exactly sovereign at the moment, so they could do show up if they wished. Something tells me things might calm down a bit over there, if such a deployment were to occur. I wonder why none of the nations that are against the US being in Iraq has considered this....I guess they just don't wanna risk getting involved in combat against the terrorists, and how hypocritical it would be of them to deploy in Iraq themselves. *sigh*

I know I would feel alot better if the UN would go there and keep an eye on things...

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Let me try and get this straight..

In Iraq, these british soldiers had a car full of explosives, shot and killed 2 police officers, and then the british army comes in and quite literally blows them out of jail?

This is sick.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by QuietSoul
Let me try and get this straight..

In Iraq, these british soldiers had a car full of explosives, shot and killed 2 police officers, and then the british army comes in and quite literally blows them out of jail?

This is sick.

And they were dressed like Arabs.

No, thats not them....

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mudja
Britain wants out

I would agree and further that to say america wants out as well, but Bush and Blair, imho, sing a different tune. Anybody else have any ideas why these two soldiers would be on an official mission like this?

I suppose if I sit back and cool off a bit; could these two brits be attempting to gain respect from insurgents in an attempt to infultrate a group for some human inside intelligence/surveilance?

I try to look at both sides but my instinct still leads me to my earlier arguments.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkyFox2..........
I think there’s more to the story and that something’s being overlooked. If not, then in time that’s how it’ll appear, when cover-ups are in place. A nation which isn’t involved in this conflict or the UN itself should send troops over there just to monitor what allied forces are doing, and making sure there’s not some crazy BS going on behind the scenes. Considering reports such as this one, I think there’s good reason to suspect something’s wrong, and to go ahead and do that.

Its already been taken care of.

Propaganda is not about lies, or truth, rather it is about intent.

Half is how they give you the facts, and the other half is what they do not tell you.

Look at the story from the BBC.

news.bbc.co.uk...

British troops arrested in Basra

Two British soldiers have been arrested in the southern Iraq city of Basra, sparking clashes outside a police station where they are being held.
The men, said to have been under cover, reportedly exchanged fire with police after failing to stop at a checkpoint.

Two British tanks, sent to the police station where the soldiers are being held, were set alight in clashes.

Three UK servicemen were injured during the day, but the MoD would not say if they were caught in the firebombing.

Civilians 'killed'

TV pictures show soldiers in combat gear, jumping from one of the flaming tanks and making their escape.

British officials would not say if the two men were working under cover

Local council spokesman Nadhim al Jabari said two civilians were killed in the clashes.

Up to 15 civilians were also reported injured in the demonstrations.

Tensions have been running high in the city since the arrest of a senior figure in the Shia Mehdi Army by UK troops.......

They simply will not say what they do not want you to know in the mass media.

[edit on 19-9-2005 by ArchAngel]

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 10:21 PM
link   
There is no way to explain or excuse this. This might possibly be the most heinous thing that has happened in Iraq that we have come to know of. It is most definitely the most unexplainable and concerning.

I don't kow how Britain specifically, or any occupying force in general, can talk their way out of this, or even survive this.

This is the end.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join