It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What will modern warfare be like?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 03:14 PM
link   
In the future will wars still be fought by infantry or will technology replace all humans on the battlefront.

Will wars be waged entirely in computer systems, imagine that crippling an entire nation with one virus.

What do you guys think future wars will be like. I know i haven't specified how far in the futureI'm talking about. So let your imagination run wild

[edit on 23-11-2004 by Iknowthelies]

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 03:21 PM
link   
The future will be full of peace! If we can ever stop the war bit.

personally, I would like to see the wars faught by the people who create the wars themselfs. Instead of by the general population that has to back what the Government is saying (she cringes at the responses that will come her way)
Everyone is given a choice right now to join or not join.........then there the draft...........

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iknowthelies
In the future will wars still be fought by infantry or will technology replace all humans on the battlefront.

Yes, war will still be fought by people. As far as technology replaceing the infantry, there will be less man power, however they will be greatly augmented by DARPAs research and development in warfighter technology.

Will wars be waged entirely in computer systems, imagine that crippling an entire nation with one virus.

Not entirely, no war can be won by just technology alone. Troops still have to engage on the battlefront.

What do you guys think future wars will be like. I know i haven't specified a time limit so let your imagination run wild

The future of warfare is here today. Tomarrow the science of it all only gets more accurate. In the distant future, I can foresee a near loss of tech because of the greed of power.

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I think that, irregardless of the effects techonological advances have on the 'main battle phase' of war, there will allways be the need for troops on the ground. Short of making super androids that can act just like people, its allways going to involve that (and, really, super androids acting just like people is effectively the same on this repsect). Even if people use robots to fight other robots, eventualy its going to come down to one set of people making a demand and, if the other set of people don't comply, killing them.

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I like the way that this is titled "What will MODERN warfare be like?" when its about Futuristic Warfare...

There will not be peace ever im afraid, the human brain just wont addapt, disputes will always happen and will be fought over.

Its just human nature, the stupid creatures that we are.

MODERN Warfare will be fought pretty much as it is happening in Iraq and Israel, as long as Balistic Missles are not deployed.

FUTURISITC Warfare will probally be fought the same, just with more modernised weapons, maybe more urban fighting.

EDIT: Typo's

[edit on 23-11-2004 by The_Squid]

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Its human nature to destroy one another. If thats true then how long before we destroy ourselves?

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I personally don't think that there will be ever any futuristic warfare.

The fact that we have intelligent computer systems controlling all our heavy weaponry , says to me that we will eventually lead our selves to total annihilation.

There are too many countries capable of nuclear attacks for anyone to survive to see what the war fare in the future will be like.

This is a fact that scares me and should scare others. The cold war ended. Welcome to the sequel.....

FUTURISTIC WEAPONS? WE WILL ALL BE LONG GONE BY THEN!

edit:typos...dohhhhhhhh

[edit on 24-11-2004 by Bikereddie]

Odd

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I hope that, once humankind has more or less annihilated itself in a nuclear/biological armageddon a few years down the road, we'll learn that warfare on a global scale is too destructive to be of any real benefit to anybody.

Someday, honor might return to the battlefield... but until then, we're left with a future full of macro-scale destruction in the form of the atomic bomb and the engineered virus.

Good times.

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Odd
I hope that, once humankind has more or less annihilated itself in a nuclear/biological armageddon a few years down the road, we'll learn that warfare on a global scale is too destructive to be of any real benefit to anybody.

Someday, honor might return to the battlefield... but until then, we're left with a future full of macro-scale destruction in the form of the atomic bomb and the engineered virus.

Good times.

we all learn by mistakes, but im not so sure that we or anybody will be around to learn that fact.

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 02:18 PM
link   
ummmmmmmm.........well, on a more upbeat note, I think it will be technology wars. The best will come out on top.
EVERYTHING will be unmanned and will be controlled by people on a different continent or they will have a limited degree of AI.
Wars will become vastly different then they are now (EI:people fighting people).

I just hope that no human being will every "push the red button", I think wars should stick with conventional means, and not 1 bomb that can wipe a major city off the map in mere seconds.

The human race is not a peacefull race, never has been - never will be. From the days of fighting for food to fighting for land to fighting for beliefs or natural resources, people will always disagree and so wars will always be.

I dont want us to ever become completely peacefull. What if aliens attacked us (HEY, what can I say i like sci-fi)? we would have no means to defend ourselves. Who knows maybe we were created by aliens the are peacefull but have an enemy and wanted us to take on the enemy. I know its far fetched but I hate peacefull. (thinking to self: damn tree-huggers)

[edit on 24-11-2004 by Murcielago]

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I believe there can be long lasting peace.

But if there is war, with our current knowledge and increasing wariness of war, the easiest weapons to use would be chemical or biological weapons delivered by drones.

It doesn't matter if it's totally unhuman. War always respects the cost/benefit ratio. Conventional and nuclear weapons destroy too much infrastructure and are indiscriminate. Biological weapons can discriminate by using vaccination.

Of course, this is the way to total human wipeout.

Therefore peace is VERY, VERY important.

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 05:34 PM
link   
why do so many people think that we will wipe eachother out?

No faith in us humans?

I think inteligent life is very rare and so why would we want to destroy ourselves?

I garantee, that we will not be annhiliated, besides no matter what weapon is used it cant kill everyone. Bunkers would be enough to not get vaporised by a nuke, and as far as chem or Bio go, that also is not a Global killer because of masks and filters. Grant it if that happened life as we know it would change a great deal, but nothing is a complete species killer.

[edit on 25-11-2004 by Murcielago]

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Its just that weapons are becoming more powerful.
And viruses can be more destructive if they act slowly (population control). And viruses can target specific genes (genocide). It won't be long before they can create viruses to order.
And then, a barrier has been crossed.
Now add to this the victim mentalities of certain peoples, and you have a new form of terrorism massive retaliation.

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 05:51 PM
link   
There will be only one last war after these times.

The war between Jesus and the Aliens for control of the human species!

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I'm surprised no-one mentioned clones yet, i mean if you could clone an army and teach them different then you've got a practically unlimited supply of original thinking troops. Just because there clones doesn't mean they think the same they will adapt depending on their sorroundings.

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I think super advance tactics are still a way off.

"Robot fighters": Other then them being expensive as hell.. it would take alot for them not to be a weak point in the forces. I think we'll see a rise in unmanned jet fighters or more likely bombers, I think unmanned tanks might be a possibility.

"clone soldiers": I don't think people created for the sole purpose of war is anywhere close to happening. I think it would bear too much on the human psyche making them unreliable. And hey, it's still cheaper to get the mailman.

"honor on the battlefeild": I don't know about that. At least until we have a true reason to fight, and that hasnt happened for a while. Hey, maybe the filmdrunk America can put their ignorance in that respect to good use and ship Arnie off with a missle launcher strapped to both of his arms.

"super soldiers and augmentation": I think this is the next biggest step. I think they think this is an important tool for future warfare, in a more immediate sense at least. Drug enhanced soldiers will still be used, maybe expanded upon. I think they're making alot of strides in maybe super armour and power enhancing augmentation.

And in these modern times, maybe alot of information is being held back. (Or at least I hope). Unless they're suicidal, they must have some zany plan. The more I think about it the more it creeps me out.

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago
why do so many people think that we will wipe eachother out?

No faith in us humans?

I think inteligent life is very rare and so why would we want to destroy ourselves?

I garantee, that we will not be annhiliated, besides no matter what weapon is used it cant kill everyone. Bunkers would be enough to not get vaporised by a nuke, and as far as chem or Bio go, that also is not a Global killer because of masks and filters. Grant it if that happened life as we know it would change a great deal, but nothing is a complete species killer.

[edit on 25-11-2004 by Murcielago]

INTELLIGENT!?! you HAVE to be joking! All we do is build things, and discover things and we are called "intelligent"!?! Give Me a break!!

Human Beings are Not intelligent, just look at history and you can see that we are not intelligent!

It is also in Human Beings nature to destroy ourselves, that is why we do it, there will never be peace... because its human nature to fight.

There are also enough nukes on this earth to completly destroy all life on the face of the earth, and completly disform the earths crust and turn it into a barren radioactive wasteland. Let alone chemical and bio-chemical weapons!!

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Its human nature to destroy one another. If thats true then how long before we destroy ourselves?

Someone remove that evil gene from our systems. Long as theres religions, cultural differences (some very radical), politics who read 2000 years old books to justify their actions (religion have to be kept away from politics, no new Pope to ban people), i dont see end for wars.
Fusion powerplant could be one of the answer to reduce risk of wars other is genetic food to feed whole population on earth. Unlimited energy, food and clean water for all what else we need?

Modern warfare = today. In future warfare i would say things get lighter while more effective, nanotechnology maybe bring some great areas to make new type of weapons. Ill still keep hopes for peace and more commercial inventions than WWII arms race that eventually lead war by one faction.

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 12:19 PM
link   

The squid
INTELLIGENT!?! you HAVE to be joking! All we do is build things, and discover things and we are called "intelligent"!?! Give Me a break!!

Yeah, your right,
, Now pond scum, WOW
now that's very impressive and intelligent!

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 09:59 AM
link   
i agree if some one wants a war let them fight it them self .think of it this way a bully wants sweets he does not pay some one to get the sweets of the kid he gets it him self.y should our men and women fight for another man who is gready fair enough we sould have people fight if people attack us but is it all greed if you ask me.and look at iraq it was all over oil.liek the bully and the sweets.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join