It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are the rich always protrayed as hard working?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Biigs

The douches that just inherit a company and are rich, stay rich because they already have the cash to pay someone else to do the hard work so they can stay rich, these guys i dislike.

So if a relative died and gave you a billion dollar company, you would say something like " no thanks, I dont want to live a good life, I'd rather work hard, struggle, go without sometimes, and live a menial life while hoping to climb the career ladder"?

You would honestly say that?

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   

LDragonFire
Do you think the top 1% are all hard working people that did what it took to become wealthy?

Certain propaganda machines are preaching the gospel that hard work will lead to wealth and that all wealthy people are hard working and if your not wealthy then its your fault?

Do you think that hard work will make you wealthy?

Do you think the majority of the wealthy used hard work to achieve there wealth?

Some do but they are a minority, the majority come from a rich family or have some rich backer. On the other side of the coin we have the welfare scroungers (small minority) as opposed the vast majority who are poorly paid and/or willing to work hard ( and damn will did until the rich bankers screwed the system).

The problem is :

rich hard working majority + welfare scrounging majority = right wing ideology (some people still fooled by this....daily mail readers !!!)
tax avoiding family rich + hard working poorly paid people needing welfare = reality that people worldwide are slowly getting very pis.ed off about.

The current massively distorted and unfair system is reaching the end of it's life. Saudia Arabia, USA, Russia, China will be last bastions of the immoral rich.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   

LDragonFire
Do you think the top 1% are all hard working people that did what it took to become wealthy?

Certain propaganda machines are preaching the gospel that hard work will lead to wealth and that all wealthy people are hard working and if your not wealthy then its your fault?

Do you think the majority of the wealthy used hard work to achieve there wealth?

Some do but they are a minority, the majority come from a rich family or have some rich backer. On the other side of the coin we have the welfare scroungers (small minority) as opposed the vast majority who are poorly paid and/or willing to work hard ( and damn will did until the rich bankers screwed the system).

The problem is :

rich hard working majority + welfare scrounging majority = right wing ideology (some people still fooled by this....daily mail readers !!!)
tax avoiding family rich + hard working poorly paid people needing welfare = reality that people worldwide are slowly getting very pis.ed off about.

The current massively distorted and unfair system is reaching the end of it's life. Saudia Arabia, USA, Russia, China will be last bastions of the immoral rich.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I work for obscenely rich people from time to time. One of the reasons they are obscenely rich is because they hired me to do the work.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Let me play Devils Advocate now.

Why are all poor portrayed as hard working?
Do you think all poor people are out there everyday looking for a job? Trying to find some way to contribute.
What about all the people that declare bankruptcy because they can't meet their obligations rather than digging in a paying off their bills?
What about the people that file for welfare yet sit at home playing Xbox.

Are their hardworking rich people, absolutely.
Are their rich people that do no work and take advantage of the poor and middle class, absolutely.
Are their hardworking poor people, absolutely.
Are their lower class people that do not work and take advantage of the middle and upper class, absolutely.

To me I don't get this concept that being rich makes you inherently bad while being poor makes you inherently noble. Both those statements only tell a fraction of the story about either social class.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 01:48 PM
link   

yorkshirelad

Some do but they are a minority, the majority come from a rich family or have some rich backer.

Surely you can provide statistical data to support your hilarious little opinion right?

Mind posting a link to your facts?

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Most of the rich people i know had the money come down from their family.

Problem is people holding on to too many aspects from the good ol days....Hard work will never get you rich, At least in this era...you might get some wealth, but never rich.

There is no job waiting for you once you graduate. Now a days someone holding a BSc will be flipping burgers. 30 yrs ago, he got a guaranteed 80k+ job.

It is almost impossible to get rich unless you are already established as rich, the slight chance are that you win a lottery AND you invest in it.

Heck , 1 Million is nothing now a days... House in my area cost close to 700k, and its not even the "top" area.

hardworking now will make sure you have some money during retirement. Thats about it.

You born poor, you stay poor.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

Hard work does NOT always lead to wealth. In fact the majority of the time it doesn't. It leads to more work.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Complicated issue this is. I work at a business management firm for some very rich people.

From what I can see most of these people got rich because they were very lucky and had an idea worked. For every person who got rich in this manner there are probably 100+ that did the exact same thing and completely failed.

Many, most, rich people got it because of nepotism they had a friend that gave them a job as some bigwig wether they are competent enough to even run that job. From there those people tend to do well as long as they associate with their rich friends, family or other item if association.

Some, very few, worked hard for their money. But they again fit in the got lucky category.

Some inherit the money. Lots if them loose all that money in one or two generations.

Basically in the USA getting rich and if being rich happens because you are nepotistic and have the right friends. I've heard rich folk say often enough to know that this is how it works when they mention. Oh I was going to give this deal to such n such company because they are very good at that dirt if work and have a good reputation and not too expensive too but then I gave the contract to my buddies new start up company with no experience because he's one if us. Whatever that means.

So no working hard doesnt make you rich. Working smart in a crony capitalism bs economy won't get you rich. Ganging out with rich people and befriending them is the best way to get rich. And yes it's true the very wealthy don't work very hard at all and often never did to get that money it was literally just handed to them by their cronies

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   

The fact is I could take any one of you whinging, moaning, government blaming doomsayers, and IF you did everything I said to do, I could make you earn far more than you ever dreamed of over a period of 10 years

99% of you would not because the cost is too high, so you'd stay as whingers and moaners because it's more comfortable to blame everyone else than yourself.

And that is why 1% are wealthy and 99% are not. The 99% will always be the 99%. It's not the 1%'s fault, they are just getting on with it while you sit and moan and groan and blame everyone but yourself.

I'm not in the 1% but I'm getting closer because I refused to blame anyone but myself for my old circumstances... and at one time I would have earned less than probably all of you.

edit on 25-2-2014 by MadMax9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by tinner07

Have that book! The basic point of it is - You will only get rich if you convince others to work for you and and take the profit that they generate.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by th3dudeabides

Hard work certainly produces better results than no work. While not "rich", most have had a very good life and the ability to pursue their personal inclinations.

Rich isn't a prerequisite to a good life and jealousy certainly won't lead to a very happy life either.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Hard work doesn't pay. The person that came up with that saying is a moron.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 05:51 PM
link   
All I know is I spent my entire childhood, teenage years, and a good portion of my adult life watching my parents work their asses off and get nowhere. They are 2 of the hardest working people I know. I watched my dad drag his ass to a labor job he hated every morning in excruciating back pain due to degenerative disc disorder and proceed to work 8-15 hours so we could keep the bank from taking our house. I watched my mom work THREE jobs when Dad was out of work to do the same. Currently, my father is suffering from cancer and undergoing treatment. He is in his late 60's now and he is pretty much unable to work both due to age and illness. My mother subsequently put it upon herself to work extra hours at her job to cover their mortgage and works 12 hour days, 6 days a week. If I were to define an example of hard working people, they would be it.

My father has been working since he was 12, and my mother since she was 13. Dad is now 67 and mom is 60, and there is no end in sight for them, as I don't earn enough money to help them, and they never earned enough to save for retirement. They are currently on year 23 of their mortgage, and still owe $60,000 on it (for a house they originally purchased for $90,000). 18 years of their lives were basically spent paying interest to the banks, and if you crunch the numbers they've already paid for the house 3 times over, yet it still does not belong to them outright.

Do I think there are hard working rich people out there? Sure. I've even met and worked for some. Do I believe the lie that all rich people earned their fortunes through hard work? Not for a minute. Nor do I believe the lie that those who struggle financially do not work hard enough.

You know who doesn't work very hard? Banks. I remember when the bank used to pay ME interest to have my money in one of their accounts. Now I pay them, whether I have money or not. They extract every fee they can from everyone and have their grubby pig hooves in the trough with the same people who are nickle and diming the #&!$ out of us in every other facet of our daily lives (from telecommunications companies to utility companies to car financers).

No, I've seen it first hand. Hard work doesn't always pay off. Being a crook legally sure does, though. Just ask the politicians and the bankers.
edit on 25-2-2014 by DeadSeraph because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 06:00 PM
link   
People only become rich by having other people or their money work for them.
Or they're born in to it.
Hard work is it's own reward regardless of the money made doing it.
That's because you know you gave your personal best.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   
To put it in another perspective, the worst jobs I had payed the worst and the easiest ones payed the most.

Go figure.

Big success is not about who you are, what you know, what you can do...
it's about who you know, when you are and where you are.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Because the alternative requires changing the system or at least acknowledging its not fair.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 07:26 PM
link   

theMediator
To put it in another perspective, the worst jobs I had payed the worst and the easiest ones payed the most.

Go figure.

Big success is not about who you are, what you know, what you can do...
it's about who you know, when you are and where you are.

In other words, the system is a conclave that benefits the few at the expense of the mass.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 07:37 PM
link   

LDragonFire

Absolutely not, there is not one single person who works in an office that does more work in 3 weeks than a nonunion construction worker does in one day, hell even the guy at mcdonalds is doing more actual work in one day than an office worker in a week.

The rich are not, for the most part, hard working.

If an hourly worker "worked" as hard as the rich they would be fired their first day.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 08:16 PM
link   

I have myself tested the theory about hard work and promotions in work places. I noticed that talking about your work was more important than being very productive. To bad that I am better at the producing something than advertising. You can also get stuck in the we cannot move that person since then that place falls apart.

Makes me think of the John P. Thompson and the Philips screwdriver and MS dos and Microsoft. Somebody do the work and another person with connection have to come in to get it out to the public and takes the green.

And then we have the banking sector and stock market that is just a Ponzi scheme for the ultra rich who own thru corporations and hide their true wealth so that people do not get upset by their greed. Inflation here we come and the middle class just got destroyed due to insane greed. And the funny thing is that the banks are a reason people pay taxes to pay the interest of loans. Economic systematic slavery.
edit on 25-2-2014 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join