It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are the rich always protrayed as hard working?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

You are citing modern media as an example to prove that the rich don't work hard?

Where do you think they perpetuate all the best villains we all love to hate? The corrupt businessman, the evil Republican, the molesting priest, the crazy veteran, the murderous TEA partier, all terrorists are secretly NAZIs in disguise, the lazy rich man ... each of these is a stock standard used by every writer of every major entertainment piece put out since I've been aware enough to watch for the patterns.

You'd think someone would defy convention and use something fresh like ... the evil Democrat, the virtuous businessman, the heroic veteran, etc.

Regardless, every rich person I know of has worked hard to make what they've earned. One is my uncle who retired after his first million. He got bored and went back to work for Apple as one of their higher ups. He works just as hard now even though he doesn't have to, but he just likes working.

Another is a guy who grew up a local construction company. We got to sit in his private box during a football game once. Normal guy, down to earth, and still hands on with his construction company, but we sat in 6-figure box seats that day.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Hoosierdaddy71

Best comment I have seen on here so far...people tend to think 'hard work' is the back breaking manual type of work...investing, looking for the next opportunity, never settling for what you now have is also 'hard work'. Yes, luck plays into it too. But in general terms, I'd say the kid that got good grades in high school, studied his way through college, got a Masters, work 80 - 100 hours a week in corporate offices, relocated to new jobs, pushed his way past his peers all to finally get promoted to CFO with a hefty bonus worked as hard, or harder then the Union guy that is still making the same wage at the same job. Nothing against that guy...a skilled job like plumber/welder/ect is a extremely good and proud profession...but you will never be 'rich' doing it.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 10:05 PM
link   
1911 publication that illustrates the proletariat, and their role in the capitalist pyramid. Kind of interesting how the topic of economic/power disparity between the higher and lower classes is pervasive all through history.

As for the rich always being portrayed as hard-working I wouldn't say that's true, technically. There are plenty of wealthy people that are seen as having hit the 'jackpot', and by that logic not really 'deserving it'. Not even delving into the issues of mass human exploitation for individual gain, and other moral dilemmas. There are hard workers on every level of the social hierarchy.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I don't know. hard work is good, and sometimes people don't even do it for a lot of money. Is it really a fair question? Isn't it the same as asking "Why are all the people on welfare such terrible workers"? People lift themselves up, and sometimes, they are still fairly poor. but they are happy and compassionate and even charitable. As are the very wealthy. If you make a lot of money and hog it all to yourself, it's your money. if you make a lot of money and give it all away, it's your money. if you make enough to get buy and have just a little left over, and you still share some with those that have none? next time you see your face in the mirror, tell that person well done. i can agree that the love of money is the root of all evil. but compared to the good people, evil is as thin as a runway model, and good as widespread as the ends of the Earth. but then again. money isn't going to mean poo when we have to go back to living like actual angry monkeys. let's hope we never get there.

(post by nwtrucker removed for a manners violation)

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

Yes I think they are hard working, but I think the .000001% are the real thieves.

When u talk about the 1% you are grouping in doctors and engineers in, so I think u need to be specific and stop being stereotypical.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Bit of both.
Some did hard work to achieve those 1% earnings, while others have sat back and had it handed to them.
They aren't all like the Queen of England.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 04:04 AM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

Oh? So both the persons you spoke of, although rich already, went and did REAL hard work despite having made their mint? Kept swinging the hammer, literally coming back from retirement to involve themselves in back breaking labour? I doubt it. I have never heard of anyone doing an honest days work who got rich doing it.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 05:44 AM
link   

TrueBrit
reply to post by ketsuko

Oh? So both the persons you spoke of, although rich already, went and did REAL hard work despite having made their mint? Kept swinging the hammer, literally coming back from retirement to involve themselves in back breaking labour? I doubt it. I have never heard of anyone doing an honest days work who got rich doing it.

You havent heard of one because they dont exist.

The only people in this entire world that are actually doing an honest days labor are those not making squat.

Anyone making 6 figures and up a year and claiming to be working hard are full of #, 99.99999999% of the time.

(post by kimish removed for a manners violation)

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 08:01 PM
link   

oblvion
The only people in this entire world that are actually doing an honest days labor are those not making squat.
Anyone making 6 figures and up a year and claiming to be working hard are full of #, 99.99999999% of the time.

Are you really so jaded that you believe that? I feel sorry that life has beaten you down that way.

Their are multiple real world obtainable careers that require constant hard work and when you achieve a certain level in them make 100k or more.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 08:44 PM
link   

TrueBrit
reply to post by ketsuko

So, if someone works with their brain, they don't count as working hard?

That's a load of crap.

I guess my husband doesn't work his @ss off because he doesn't do physical labor. He just works in a laboratory.

If all it takes to work hard is physical labor, then we never would have had the industrial revolution. Only logistics made that possible, and working hard at logistics is apparently second class citizen work in your eyes.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 08:49 PM
link   

ketsuko

Well said, this idea that the only people who work hard are those doing manual labor is BS.

Tell that to the ER Doctor that is in hour 25 of his shift.
Tell that to the Unified Communications Engineer that has been dealing with an outage for 14 hours.
Tell that to the software engineer that has a deadline in 4 hours and still has hundreds of lines of code to complete.

Physical exertion has nothing to do with how hard someone is or isnt working.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Another attack the wealthy thread.

I guess that they all got wealthy sitting around on their asses, collecting the beloved unemployment, Govt health care and were handed a check from Publishers Clearing House.

There is a reason why you aren't wealthy. And many others for that matter.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 09:56 PM
link   

macman

Another attack the wealthy thread.

I guess that they all got wealthy sitting around on their asses, collecting the beloved unemployment, Govt health care and were handed a check from Publishers Clearing House.

There is a reason why you aren't wealthy. And many others for that matter.

Oh look another attack the poor post.

Do tell us the reason?

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Heck, I'm nowhere near wealthy, but I don't do hard physical labor. I sit around all day correcting people's written communications.

But don't tell me I don't work very hard at it. We work under deadline and have several hundred jobs a piece to proof in a short span of time in order to get to print under deadline. I have to process right around 5,000 words per hour, at least, and correct grammar, punctuation, spelling, in-house style, clarity and notice consistency in all the dates/times/names across multiple pages while we're at it with an extremely high degree of accuracy in order to keep my job and do so for 8 hours a day.

But, since I'm not swinging a hammer or digging a ditch ... I'm not working hard.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I just cannot believe the rich are hard working. If they really believe that stuff about hard work pays off, then why do they want to keep wages as low a possible?

I worked as a CNA in the late 90's and early 2000 for a big corporation. That was a continuous sweat on the run job, for minimum wage. Sure, min wage was the entry level. But yearly raises like .10 per hour was unfair. I left that place and never worked for a corporation with stockholders again. The independent smaller facilities at least gave yearly raises of a dollar and hour.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Biigs
The sitting around doing very little most of the time IS the reward for that burst of hard work.

Cannot wait to say this to my employer if they ever catch me doing F-all

"Yeah i was working hard like an hour ago... now im taking a break, ive earned it yano?"

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Cia gypsey has gone on a extended holiday on the Queen Victoria Ship we will have to wait until she returns to ask her

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 04:57 AM
link   

MadMax9
The fact is I could take any one of you whinging, moaning, government blaming doomsayers, and IF you did everything I said to do, I could make you earn far more than you ever dreamed of over a period of 10 years

And what is this magic system of yours?

opethPA

ketsuko

Well said, this idea that the only people who work hard are those doing manual labor is BS.

Tell that to the ER Doctor that is in hour 25 of his shift.
Tell that to the Unified Communications Engineer that has been dealing with an outage for 14 hours.
Tell that to the software engineer that has a deadline in 4 hours and still has hundreds of lines of code to complete.

Physical exertion has nothing to do with how hard someone is or isnt working.

People can push themselves physically, and exert themselves. Mental exertion is a little different, people can't force themselves to think faster. You also can't hurt yourself from straining too hard mentally.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join