It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House: U.S. is cold because the planet is hot

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

So if I go by their logic (lol) then in the summer when I'm sweating my . . . . head off then would I be actually freezing?

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by ChesterJohn

Where are ATS regular Physicist they should be the one to question this.

Which ones? the quickly-search-on-google-and-wikipedia-then-make-a-comment-that-makes-me-look-smart ones?

They don't have a reference site for this item here, so they are just skipping this one

Of course i'm sure there are some people who actually knows stuff, but i don't think we have lots of them here.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 12:09 AM
link   

AthlonSavage

Why does it get colder when the planet is getting hotter?

When it gets hotter this causes the poles to melt causing fresh water to mix with the ocean water. This screws up the warm water that is brought from the equator to the Northern regions of the planet that helps to warm that part of the planet. This is why during the winter the weather gets more extreme because there is no warmth to help balance out the cold.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 12:41 AM
link   
This concept is truly not that hard to grasp but reading these threads is mind boggling due to folks who refuse to actually take in what some members are trying to teach. Cold weather does not rule out global warming. There is a lot of literature out there explaining why we see more extreme weather due to climate change (change over time). When all of the ice has melted, and the water is just about gone on our planet - the weather will always be hot and we will see little precipitation because there will be nothing to evaporate, and nothing to influence the oceans great conveyer belt. Then maybe some folks will say, hey something is happening here? I truly think for some - they won't see climate change for what it is unless it is that bad.

Extreme weather Extreme weather has become more common in the United States since 1980, and part of that shift is due to climate change. In 2011 the U.S. experienced 14 extreme weather-related events that caused loss of human life and cost the U.S. economy more than $55 billion. The year 2012 broke the most U.S. heat records of any year to date, and tied with 1998 for the most extreme weather events. July 2012 was the hottest month ever in the U.S. since the government began recording temperatures in 1895, and two-thirds of the U.S. was affected by extreme drought in the summer of 2012. Record wildfires raged across the U.S., including Washington state where 245 miles of forests burned. Source: NASA Goddard

www.ecy.wa.gov...

And in the winter - we get hit with lots of snow, rain, sleet, and ice - because of this issue. We see it happening all around us right this minute.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 01:19 AM
link   

thishereguy

vkey08

tothetenthpower
I'm really tired of people thinking that Global Warming means that it gets hotter everywhere on the planet, all at once.

It's CLIMATE CHANGE folks, which means that the CLIMATE CHANGES more DRASTICALLY because of the effects created naturally or by our hands.

My god, it's like you need a degree or something to understand basic environmental science.

~Tenth

butbutbut... we just got 2 3/4 feet of snow. IN NEW ENGLAND....... I mean that's unheard of... it's extreme. it's it's it's.... (I hope you can catch my sarcasm)

We just got a February Nor'Easter, we get them throughout the winter months here and honestly, this winter feels like winter should here in the Northeast.. cold and snowy, we haven't really had one of these winters in a long time (1976 or so?) so a lot of people are freaking out, but as climate goes, this is where we really should be this time of year. So if the climate is changing, it's almost like it's resetting to where it should have been, not these warm dry winters we had been having...

but but but but....

www.independent.co.uk...

My man you might not realize it but you just used an article pertaining to the lessening severity of winters in Great Brittain in an attempt to show the folly of bemoaning a massive snow fall in New England which is in the North East United States. To maintain some semblance of context to the OP, warmer British winters while America gets freakish weather isn't particularly odd when you factor in that lovely North Atlantic current which is supplied with warm southern waters courtesy of the Gulf Stream. Ain't science grand?

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 01:29 AM
link   

xuenchen
It is cold because the planet is hot

Well duh.....of course it is &

War is Peace,
Freedom is Slavery,
Ignorance is Strength

you now have completed your Doublethink lesson for today

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 03:41 AM
link   
1. Global warming does cause extreme cold. To the uneducated it makes no sense. But what you have is, cold ice in the arctic. When it melts due to global warming, it melts as ice cold water into to oceans and the currents distribute it all over the world and thus lowers temperatures elsewhere thus causing extreme weather patterns. Look at thunderstorms for example; thunderstorms are always generated where warm air meets a cold front. Ever notice how it's warm before a thunderstorm, and when it passes the temperature has dropped significantly? And vice versa.

2. While the earth does have it's natural cycles, humans obviously do play a role too, and may be accelerating the inevitable. You would be a fool to ignore the massive deforestation that goes on, the extremely lower ozone levels, oil spills that affect the fluidity the oceans and the biological ecosystem which keep things in check, and chemicals all around. That's not caused naturally. And it's not how earth was designed to work. It's only impeding the natural processes of earth.

3. Also to the uneducated, average global temperature of only a few degrees may not seem like a lot, but it does make a huge difference. To you and me, we can't feel it day to day. One time I had a pet gecko. They had to be kept at a certain temperature. Too warm or cold his behaviour would rapidly change. Now imagine bacteria and flora in the ocean that entire ecosystems rely on, just a few degrees change can kill it all. Now, mathematically, global average temperature it's just that, an average. You could have it only go up 1 or 2 degrees and some places may only be slightly warmer, where others could turn into a firestorm of heat. A global temperature rise of only 5 degrees could sink Florida under the ocean and turn the great lakes into a desert. Likewise a global temperature fall of 5 degrees could turn the great lakes and much of the ocean into solid ice with a nice permanent winter for you enjoy. Yes a localized temperature change of only a few degrees is normal. Hell, I live in central New York, it's not uncommon for it to be 60 degrees one day and 20 degrees the next. But when we are talking global average temperature, we are talking about the whole earth. It's a pretty big place, and only a fraction of a degree in temp x has a pretty big effect...

For whatever it's worth, I'm a conservative and not a tree hugging liberal. I am also educated and understand how stupid in general humans are.

Also, being in the snowfall capital of the usa, I understand it's winter. I've dealt with winter my whole life, probably more so than must people posting in this thread. But something is not right. This winter has been brutally cold... constantly. Usually it's in the 20s to 30s here most of winter, with the occasional colder spells. But it's been consistently in the teens or below 0 the past two months.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 03:52 AM
link   
I really don't see much difference between this winter and the winter of 1967-68 in Chicago. Or the winter of 1978-79 in Chicago. sub zero temperatures lots of snow

This week central Virginia got 10-12 inches of snow no different than in 1995-96, 2005-06. average winter temps highs in the 50 lows in the 20's.

Florida froze a few times in the 60's and 70's and so did so California.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Wow, there's so many scientist here on ATS, it reminds me of when there is a storm, all of a sudden there's hundreds of meteorologist on Facebook.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Just because America is cold does not mean the rest of the planet isn't heating up, in the UK we have not had that much cold weather except at night. This time last year it was snowing and wearing two coats was not enough.

America has winds from the north blowing down, not relevant to global warming what-so-ever.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Mianeye
When did the US become "The World"?

the answer is in hollywood

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Without reading other people posts, I say this

HAARP

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 07:12 AM
link   

thishereguy

vkey08

tothetenthpower
I'm really tired of people thinking that Global Warming means that it gets hotter everywhere on the planet, all at once.

It's CLIMATE CHANGE folks, which means that the CLIMATE CHANGES more DRASTICALLY because of the effects created naturally or by our hands.

My god, it's like you need a degree or something to understand basic environmental science.

~Tenth

butbutbut... we just got 2 3/4 feet of snow. IN NEW ENGLAND....... I mean that's unheard of... it's extreme. it's it's it's.... (I hope you can catch my sarcasm)

We just got a February Nor'Easter, we get them throughout the winter months here and honestly, this winter feels like winter should here in the Northeast.. cold and snowy, we haven't really had one of these winters in a long time (1976 or so?) so a lot of people are freaking out, but as climate goes, this is where we really should be this time of year. So if the climate is changing, it's almost like it's resetting to where it should have been, not these warm dry winters we had been having...

but but but but....

www.independent.co.uk...

Tell that to the 3+ feet on my deck (plus your article is talking about the UK, not about the Northeast United States (collectively known as New England) )

To respond to the poster from New York that says that it's not right this year with the cold in the teens and the zeroes? I remember a year or three (75, 76, 77, 78) up here in the Northeast that were just as cold and just as bad. I also seem to remember a blizzard and ice storm back then that everyone claimed was the end of human life as we knew it, and the beginning of a new ice age, as it shut down 4-5 states for a week or so. So to say we dont' get this kind of weather is insane.. This is where our weather SHOULD be, and hasn't been for many years now, we've been lulled into a false sense of warmer winters and HOT HOT summers, we're no longer used to dealing with the cold cold temps like we should be.

We may be experiencing climate change, I am not doubting it, my yard has desert scrub growing in it in the summertime now, but as far as our winters go, this one is back to the norm we should have been having..

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 07:13 AM
link   

NullVoid
Without reading other people posts, I say this

HAARP

How doth thou explain the climate changes that the planet has been through (periodic warming/cooling cycles) one as recently as the late 1800's when HAARP didn't exist? You can't... because HARRP has nothing to do with any of this...

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by vkey08

guess i shouldn't make minimal post . my point being is, the scenario is always changing. and it always changes to ... it's getting so damn hot or so damn cold,lol. they can't make up their minds. but , they sure as hell know how much to tax you, and who can be exempt for the right amount of money. i'm pretty sure there might be more people willing to consider the idea, if it had nothing to do with politics or making some people rich or even richer.

hmmm, the thought just occurred, sounds alot like obamacare. rich getting richer and who can be exempt for the right amount of money. politics, worst thing for mankind to endure.

edit on 15-2-2014 by thishereguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Sovaka
reply to post by gladtobehere

Or the Beef industry... Man those cows can produce a butt load of methane.
I am sure that isn't helping the green house "gases".

I wonder how much methane the herbivores produced during the time of the dynasoars, some of those animals weighing up to eighty tones, the gas and solids produced from the rear ends must have been huge.
Yet those animal generations lived for 250 million years.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 09:10 AM
link   
It seems to me that we were in an ice age at some point and have been warming ever since. There has been a few ice ages on this planet and I would bet that we are entering another one.

Freezing and warming seems to be a cycle that is essential to maintaining life on this planet.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 09:15 AM
link   

pikestaff

I wonder how much methane the herbivores produced during the time of the dynasoars, some of those animals weighing up to eighty tones, the gas and solids produced from the rear ends must have been huge.
Yet those animal generations lived for 250 million years.

And the earth was a hell of alot hotter 250 million years ago as a result.

Being hotter dosnt mean no life existed. Just the climate 250 million years ago was very diffrent to the one we have now.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 09:22 AM
link   

ChesterJohn

peter vlar
reply to post by AthlonSavage

More moisture in the upper atmosphere due to warmer temps at lower latitudes gets sucked towards the poles creating an alteration in normal weather patterns hence Australia suffering record high temps when I got more snow dumped one the past 24 hours than the last 2 winters combined.

Isn't there a limit as to how much moisture can go into the atmosphere?

If moister is taken into the upper atmosphere the UV from the sun will create Ozone as that ozone cools it will produce Hydrogen, Oxygen and Hydrogenperoxide as well as water.

No I think it is all a cyclic and we are simply in a cycle we have not seen for some time.

The amount of moisture than the air can carry depends on air temperature. The warmer the air, the more moisture that can be carried. At one end you have extremely dry cold air that allows static to build up and will make your skin peel and lips crack. At the other end of maximum humidity, you have "super-saturated air". In Scotland, we call that a "muggy" atmosphere. At the equator, the air is constantly humid, so you end up with thunderstorms being a daily occurrence, usually after mid-day.

There are long period cycles caused by El Nino:

www.whoi.edu...

I guess that at some times, all of these are going to cancel each other out, and at other times, they will reinforce each other. Since they are on the order of 20,30,50 years, those could happen once every 30,000 years.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   
It seems like we had been hearing this was going to happen for so many years, I can't believe anyone doesn't get it?

They have always said the global warming means we'd get extreme weather changes everywhere- it has never been explained as the whole planet just having warmer weather!

Here, we have had very strange weather- basically, we didn't have a winter. We usually are deep in snow this time of year, but haven't had any so far. The birds migration patterns are messed up, the trees are already flowering.

Some places are too hot, some are too cold... some have a drought, some have heavy flooding. This is exactly what was predicted years ago.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join