It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is evil?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Evil is breaking the golden rule over and over again intentionally. If you continually and intentionally do things to others that you would not want done to you, you are evil.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Stormdancer777
Evil

There must be evil it's in the dictionary.

One of the five paintings of Extermination of Evil portrays Sendan Kendatsuba, one of the eight guardians of Buddhist law, banishing evil.

Really , it seems like ( the picture ) someone is trying to murder an ' enemy ' . Probably so they can make it home in time for planting season... but - I 'm a bit simple.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 08:33 PM
link   

spirited75
The professor of a university challenged his students with this question. "Did God create everything that exists?" A student answered bravely, "Yes, he did".
The professor then asked, "If God created everything, then he created evil.
The failure is right at this point:

Think back to the story of the Garden of Eden: was that tree called the MASTERY of good and evil, or merely KNOWLEDGE of good and evil?

It's like situational ethics. (Really, that's all there is.)

In almost every single case, it is wrong to deceive people. (And I'm talking about more than merely lying, here.) But there are times when it is necessary to deceive.

The good or ill of war, when war is the last and only course left, spies become an absolute necessity. It is the job of the spy to deceive.

It is feasible, in a Garden situation, where only 1 tree of life exists, with humanity breeding like it does, that this tree wouldn't be able to sustain a population of 2 Billion, 3 Billion, ect. In such a situation, it would be very easy to do evil even without at least the knowledge of what evil is.

The same way a 2 year old will take a hammer to their brother's temple. Such a kid is innocent, but that could cause brain damage. Causing brain damage or even murder of a sibling is in and of itself an "evil"--even when the kid is innocent.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Love the prayer!

Thank you, brother!

peace

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by QueenofSpades

I would substitute individuals for creatures. Was going to star but I disagreed with that limitation...

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Vegemite is evil. As is Marmite.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Evil is live backwards.

To say something is evil is to display one's fears while disguising it under a blanket of contempt and blame.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Evil is what a person says is evil. Evil is what people say is evil.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Atheists, moral relativists, post modern new age believers,
cannot honestly join this discussion without revealing the
mendacity and duplicity of their intellect and heart.
The utter phoniness of their world view.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Bazart

It is just an example of what people perceived as evil in ancient cultures, I was looking for examples.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 08:43 AM
link   

3NL1GHT3N3D1
Evil is breaking the golden rule over and over again intentionally. If you continually and intentionally do things to others that you would not want done to you, you are evil.

Yes, can you fight evil with good?

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Trexter Ziam

TY, I am going to check that out.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 08:49 AM
link   

blupblup

Because this

swanne
reply to post by blupblup

Evil does exist. Only a man of evil will deny that evil does exist, for men who do not profit from others are not evil, and thus have nothing to lose from exposing evilness throughout the World.

Sounds like Biblical waffle to me.

Dear friend blupblup, there is wisdom in Biblical waffle,

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away.

When you read it do your eyes bleed?
lololololol

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   

blupblup
I'm evil because I don't believe in your Biblical concepts of Good and Evil.

I am atheist. Yet I can recognize evil.

Are you saying that you lost the ability to recognize evilness? It's not just a biblical concept. It's the universal concept.

edit on 13-2-2014 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   

swanne
I am atheist. Yet I can recognize evil.

Are you saying some of you lost the ability to recognize evilness? It's not just a biblical concept. It's the universal concept.

I've removed a couple of the pics, it makes the reply section too long.

People can carry out unspeakable acts and be mentally unstable and disturbed and commit atrocities but it does not make them "Evil", nobody is pure evil, there is no such thing.
Much like religion, the concept of good and evil is too simplistic a way of looking things....it means you never have to think about anything and never have to delve deeper into anything.

Religion means that nobody needs to ask the big questions.

"Why am I here?" Because God put you here

"What is the meaning/purpose of life" To do God's work.

Same with Good and Evil.

"Why did this guy do all these awful things" Oh he was just evil, some people are

"How can anyone commit genocide" Because they're evil

It's utterly ridiculous and completely against our nature and it's an insult to intelligence.

We as humans like to arrange things into categories, we like things arranged and sorted in our minds, our species doesn't like being challenged and made to think and taken out of our comfort zones.
Everything needs to be black and white, so much easier.

But we do ourselves a disservice thinking this way.

You call it evil and that's fine, it's much easier.
edit on 13/2/14 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Stormdancer777

Dear friend blupblup, there is wisdom in Biblical waffle,

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away.

When you read it do your eyes bleed?
lololololol

Of course there is wisdom in the Bible, I have no issue with what most of Jesus said, plus many other nuggets of wisdom.
Peace, love, harmony, acceptance, kindness and tolerance are all great things.
But the Bible didn't create these things, nor did the men who wrote it.
Religion isn't the controller of love and peace and somehow people who don't follow a particular religion don't have these things in their lives.

I just hate to be peached at, as the other poster did, like somehow because I don't agree with what the bible says about "good and evil" then somehow I'm evil and I must be cold, clinical, uncaring and must be evil.
It's just completely insane and why religion is seen negatively by many.

We as a species, have morals...it's in us, we don't need guidance or a book to teach or instil these morals.

But yes, there are plenty of decent and beautiful things written in the Bible.
Some truly, disgraceful and awful things too, but yes, some are lovely.

edit on 13/2/14 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Horrific human toll of 'militant atheism' exposed
USSR's genocide against Christians largely ignored

Read more at www.wnd.com...

The staggering death toll of Christians alone, estimates the documentary, “Martyred in the USSR,” is 12 million.

By the 1960s, a fourth Soviet anti-religious campaign was under way, and half of the Russian Orthodox Christian churches were closed, along with five of the eight seminaries.

Several other Christian denominations were devastated, including the Baptist Church, Methodist Church, Evangelical Christian Church and the Evangelical Lutheran Church.

The League of Militant Atheists, founded in 1929, aided the Soviet government in murdering clergy and devout believers, the documentary’s promoters note.

Along with the martyrdom of an estimated 12 million Christians, millions of Muslims and Buddhists also were killed because of their faith.

Read more at www.wnd.com...

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   

the best way to fight evil with GOOD
is to take good aim and fire a .308 round
downrange. Evil cannot outrun a .308

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   
evil is many things, most of which is fueled by pride.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

I understand and, I have never intended to preach AT you, or anyone else on the forum, but I started a topic and then I got slammed for the word evil.

It is possible we don't recognize it for what it is anymore.

Is it evil to pit one human being against another?

To spread discord, and hate?

Inadvertently

edit on 122828p://bThursday2014 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join