It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Biblical Jesus

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Here in this thread my main focus will be on the Person and Identity of Jesus. Let me begin by saying that you can never find out who Jesus is on your own and you can search and read all day long and still won't be able to come to the knowledge of the truth not unless God the Father reveals it to you. I was on this journey and have sought high and low and I can tell you that, “no one knows who the Son is except the Father, or who the Father is except the Son and anyone to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.” (Luke 10:22 [see also Matthew 16:17]). The truth is right there in the Bible but there are forces keeping people from looking into it and the Bible has shown us that opinions are many and endless:

When Jesus came into the region of Caesarea Philippi, He asked His disciples, saying, “Who do men say that I, the Son of Man, am?” So they said, “Some say John the Baptist, some Elijah, and others Jeremiah or one of the prophets." — Matthew 16:13-14

The Jesus of Atheism: He's a good teacher
The Jesus of Islam: Just a prophet
The Jesus of Jehovah Witness: Michael the Archangel
The Jesus of Mormonism: Brother of Satan
The Jesus of the New Age: Spirit Guide/Ascended Master
The Jesus of Sun Myung Moon: Jesus is no different from other men
The Jesus of Theosophy: Just "a" son of God (created being, like we're all are) and great teacher
The Jesus of the Alien Gospel: Jesus was an Alien (He will come back to save us from the bad aliens)
The Jesus of Baha'i: Jesus is one of a series of Manifestations of God that includes Moses, the Buddha, Muhammad ect...

The Bible already told us ahead of time that many false prophets and christs will arise and with false christs come false knowledge and understanding of the true God. The Scriptures, the psalms, prophets they all point to Christ, the true Christ. Now, what you'll see (if you pay careful attention) is that people are pointing you away from Christ. A person with a false christ will have a false understanding of scriptures because only the true Christ can open the mind to understand God's word:

And they said to one another, “Did not our heart burn within us while He talked with us on the road, and while He opened the Scriptures to us?”… And beginning at Moses and all the Prophets, He expounded to them in all the Scriptures the things concerning Himself… And He opened their understanding, that they might comprehend the Scriptures. — Luke 24:32,27,45

“We preach Christ crucified, and every sermon shakes the gates of hell.” — Spurgeon

“All heaven is interested in the cross of Christ, all hell terribly afraid of it, while men are the only beings who more or less ignore its meaning.” — Iowa Chambers

This thread is for all who are genuinely and sincerely seeking. I'll be adding more posts later, God willing.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by VoiceInTheWilderness

Thank you for the much needed thread. It wont be long before the derailers come to slander Jesus' name and make Him out to be something He is not.

Jesus is the center piece of the Bible. As the Messiah, He fulfills and connects the network of prophecies found in the Old and New Testament. No other god can live up to that standard. No other god asks for your faith rather than your works. No other god would have willingly died for the sins of his creation, because there is only one true God, one true path, and they are found through Christ Jesus. No man accesses the Father but through His son, Jesus.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 12:25 AM
link   

I was on this journey and have sought high and low and I can tell you that, “no one knows who the Son is except the Father, or who the Father is except the Son and anyone to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.”

So are you saying the Son revealed himself to you?

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Lucid Lunacy
So are you saying the Son revealed himself to you?

The OP will probably make that claim in the sense of John ch16, that knowledge of Jesus comes through the Holy Spirit;
"When the Sprit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth...He will glorify me, for he will take what is mine and declare it to you". John ch16 vv13-14

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Jesus referred to God as his "father" (John 5:17). Jesus told people to pray saying "our father in heaven" (Matthew 6:9–13). Jesus said "our father" and not "my father", that means he was saying all his followers are children of God.

What did Jesus come to teach? God's Law, and what is God's TRUE law according to Jesus Christ? I'll let him speak for himself:

" whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets." - Matthew 7:12

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by BELIEVERpriest

Thanks for the encouragement brother and fear not because God's word is sharper than any two-edged sword (Hebrews 4:12). God's word is powerful enough to silence Satan and his messengers: “And when the multitudes heard this, they were astonished at His teaching. But when the Pharisees heard that He had silenced the Sadducees, they gathered together...” (Matthew 22:33-34)

“Where the word of a king is, there is power;” (Ecclesiastes 8:4)

“Then there arose some from what is called the Synagogue of the Freedmen (Cyrenians, Alexandrians, and those from Cilicia and Asia), disputing with Stephen. And they were not able to resist the wisdom and the Spirit by which he spoke. Then they secretly induced men to say, “We have heard him speak blasphemous words against Moses and God.” (Acts 6:9-11)

“I did nothing, the Word did everything.” — Martin Luther

“When the Word comes accompanied with the Spirit, it is mighty, through God, to cast down all imaginations.” — John Flavel

“Defend the Bible? I would as soon defend a lion! Unchain it and it will defend itself.” — Spurgeon

“The Word of God is the anvil upon which the opinions of men are smashed.” — Spurgeon

“It is better to preach five words of God’s Word than five million words of man’s wisdom. Men’s words may seem to be the wiser and the more attractive, but there is no heavenly life in them.” — Spurgeon

“I say again that our words come and go: as the trees of the forest multiply their leaves only to cast them off as withered things, so the thoughts and theories of men are but for the season, and then they fade and rot into nothingness. ‘The grass withereth, and the flower thereof falleth away: but the word of the Lord endureth for ever.’” — Spurgeon

“Large tomes we have in our library which it takes all our strength to lift, all upon Holy Scripture; myriads upon myriads of smaller volumes, tens of thousands of every shape and size, all written upon the Bible; and I have thought that the very suggestiveness of Scripture, the supernatural suggestiveness of Holy Writ, may be in itself a proof of its divine wisdom, since no man has ever been able to write a book which could have so many commentators and so many writers upon its text as the Bible has received, by so much as one millionth part.” — Spurgeon

Oppositions are to be expected because Pharaoh and his magicians withstood Moses so they too will try to resist us and God's word. Jesus says that if they don't believe in Moses then neither will they believe in Him (John 5:46-47) and His people. John the Apostle echoes this fact in one of his epistles: “They are from the world; therefore they speak from the world, and the world listens to them. We are from God. Whoever knows God listens to us; whoever is not from God does not listen to us. By this we know the Spirit of truth and the spirit of error.” (1 John 4:5-6)

Pharaoh opposing God's word → : “Let heavier work be laid on the men that they may labor at it and pay no regard to lying words.” (Exodus 5:9)

Pharaoh's magicians (Jannes & Jambres) attempt at countering → : “So Moses and Aaron went to Pharaoh and did just as the LORD commanded. Aaron cast down his staff before Pharaoh and his servants, and it became a serpent. Then Pharaoh summoned the wise men and the sorcerers, and they, the magicians of Egypt, also did the same by their secret arts.” (Exodus 7:10-11)

always learning and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth. Now as Jannes and Jambres resisted Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, disapproved concerning the faith; but they will progress no further, for their folly will be manifest to all, as theirs also was.” (2 Timothy 3:7-9)

To the readers (those that are genuinely seeking), there are a lot of mishandling of God's word on this forum: “For we are not, like so many, peddlers of God's word...” (2 Cor 2:17). “We refuse to practice cunning or to tamper with God's word...” (2 Cor 4:2). “There are some things in them that are hard to understand, which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction...” (2 Peter 3:16). Not everyone who quotes scriptures are truly from God so beware... false teachers are always learning but they never come to the knowledge of the truth and just like Jannes and Jambres they too will do all they can to resist the truth. Sooner or later it will be clear that they are false teachers as it became clear in the case of Jannes and Jambres. Their folly will manifest. Instead of coming to the true and living God for wisdom and knowledge they went to Egypt for it:

Woe to those who go down to Egypt for help,
And rely on horses,
Who trust in chariots because they are many,
And in horsemen because they are very strong,
But who do not look to the Holy One of Israel,
Nor seek the LORD!
” — Isaiah 31:1 (The Folly of Not Trusting God)

“Woe to the rebellious children,” says the LORD,
Who take counsel, but not of Me,
And who devise plans, but not of My Spirit,

That they may add sin to sin;
Who walk to go down to Egypt,
And have not asked My advice,

To strengthen themselves in the strength of Pharaoh,
And to trust in the shadow of Egypt!
Therefore the strength of Pharaoh
Shall be your shame,
And trust in the shadow of Egypt
Shall be your humiliation...” — Isaiah 30:1-3 (Futile Confidence in Egypt)

“Look! You are trusting in the staff of this broken reed, Egypt, on which if a man leans, it will go into his hand and pierce it. So is Pharaoh king of Egypt to all who trust in him.” — Isaiah 36:6

False and ungodly scholars and scribes are sent by Satan to counter God’s word and that's what a lot of people on here trust in, men:

Thus says the LORD:
Cursed is the man who trusts in man
And makes flesh his strength,
Whose heart departs from the LORD. — Jeremiah 17:5

Instead, they ought to be trusting in God:

Trust in the LORD with all your heart,
And lean not on your own understanding;
In all your ways acknowledge Him,

And He shall direct your paths.
Do not be wise in your own eyes;
Fear the LORD and depart from evil.
It will be health to your flesh,
And strength to your bones. — Proverbs 3:5-8 (don’t trust yourself)

“Alexander the coppersmith did me much harm. May the Lord repay him according to his works. You also must beware of him, for he has greatly resisted our words.” (2 Timothy 4:14-15)

“Now when they had gone through the island to Paphos, they found a certain sorcerer, a false prophet, a Jew whose name was Bar-Jesus, who was with the proconsul, Sergius Paulus, an intelligent man. This man called for Barnabas and Saul and sought to hear the word of God. But Elymas the sorcerer... withstood them, seeking to turn the proconsul away from the faith.” (Acts 13:6-8)

“For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into apostles of Christ. And no wonder! For Satan himself transforms himself into an angel of light. Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also transform themselves into ministers of righteousness, whose end will be according to their works.” (2 Corinthians 11:13-15) — Note: False teachers are teaching "another jesus" (see 2 Cor 11:4)

edit on 10-2-2014 by VoiceInTheWilderness because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   

VoiceInTheWilderness

Thus says the LORD:

Nice having gotten to read that in bold.

Lord Jesus who is written about in the Bible can be experienced this very moment, it this very moment available to pray to.

Pray for all of humanity.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Lucid Lunacy, Yes, God the Father revealed the Son to me otherwise I wouldn't be able to come to Him: “Do not murmur among yourselves. No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up at the last day.” (John 6:43-44) and call Him “Lord”, “no one can say that Jesus is Lord except by the Holy Spirit.” (1 Corinthians 12:3).

In the passage that I quoted, a verse before that says this:

In that hour Jesus rejoiced in the Spirit and said, “I thank You, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that You have hidden these things from the wise and prudent [or understanding] and revealed them to babes. Even so, Father, for so it seemed good in Your sight.” — Luke 10:21

God resists the proud but gives grace to the humble (James 4:6). He hid these things from the wise (in their own eyes) and prudent/understanding (the so-called “know it all” who are unteachable) and revealed them to babes (the humble and repentant who are willing to hear and learn). That's why James says, “Therefore lay aside all filthiness and overflow of wickedness, and receive with meekness the implanted word, which is able to save your souls.” (James 1:21)

Hardness of heart is no place for God's word: “I know that you are Abraham's descendants, but you seek to kill Me, because My word has no place in you.” (John 8:37). A literal translation of that would be: “My word FINDS NO PLACE IN YOU.” (ESV). “But the house of Israel will not listen to you, because they will not listen to Me; for all the house of Israel are impudent and hard-hearted.” (Ezekiel 3:7)

God's word is living and active (Hebrews 4:12). The word of God enters people's ears and most of them reject it saying that it's the word of men or that the word is corrupted and so putting themselves above God. God resists such people because they do not acknowledge Him, “In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.” (Proverbs 5:6). Learn from the Thessalonians:

“And we also thank God constantly for this, that when you received the word of God, which you heard from us, you accepted it not as the word of men but as what it really is, the word of God, which is at work in you believers.” (1 Thessalonians 2:13)

Humble before God Almighty (James 4:10) and receive His word with meekness (James 1:21) and readiness of mind (Acts 17:11) and, “Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly...” (Colossians 3:16).

Don't be wise in your own eyes:

“Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes,
And prudent in their own sight!”
— Isaiah 5:21

“There is a generation that is pure in its own eyes,
Yet is not washed from its filthiness.”
— Proverbs 30:12

“Do you see a man wise in his own eyes?
There is more hope for a fool than for him.”
— Proverbs 26:12

“Be of the same mind toward one another. Do not set your mind on high things, but associate with the humble. Do not be wise in your own opinion.” (Romans 12:16)

“Professing to be wise, they became fools...” (Romans 1:22)

Christ chooses who to reveal to so all the unbelievers are at His mercy. This means that they must humble themselves and cry out to God.

“All things have been delivered to Me by My Father, and no one knows who the Son is except the Father, and who the Father is except the Son, and the one to whom the Son wills to reveal Him.” (Luke 10:22)

Paul the Apostle received such a revelation from heaven above. More later.
edit on 10-2-2014 by VoiceInTheWilderness because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 02:05 AM
link   

@ VoiceInTheWilderness .... that's what a lot of people on here trust in, men:

Thus says the LORD:

Instead, they ought to be trusting in God:
Well, yes. Indeed, its better to trust God than man. So then why do Christians tell everybody to trust a man, Jesus when they should be trusting God... as their own Bibles say? Why do Christians quote Jeremiah 17:5 and go back to trusting Jesus - a man? Please don't tell me Jesus was ''fully God/fully man'' or that he was a ''man-God'' etc. That concept did not exist in Jesus' Israelite religion.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by sk0rpi0n

That concept did not exist in Jesus' Israelite religion.

So!

Jesus said," If you have seen me you have seen the Father" John 14:9
edit on 11-2-2014 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 10:35 AM
link   

randyvs

That concept did not exist in Jesus' Israelite religion.

So!

Jesus said," If you have seen me you have seen the Father" John 14:9
So was Jesus the ''Father''? Did Jesus contradict his own saying ''no man has seen the Father''?

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   

So was Jesus the ''Father''? Did Jesus contradict his own saying ''no man has seen the Father''?

That's a question that seems more suited for you?

Jesus is God.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   

randyvs

Jesus is God.
That doesn't answer what I asked at all. Its strange how christians ask non-christians to accept as ''God'' a man who never said those three words ''I am God''.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   

sk0rpi0n

randyvs

Jesus is God.
That doesn't answer what I asked at all. Its strange how christians ask non-christians to accept as ''God'' a man who never said those three words ''I am God''.

We understand that you dont accept Jesus as God, but from the context of our Holy book, the Bible, Jesus was resurrected and identified Himself as the Alpha and Omega in Revelation. The Alpha and Omega is a title reserved for God the Son.

Hebrew saying: Adonai Elohenu, Adonai ehad.

Adonai Elohenu-the Lord is God (Alpha Glory)

Adonai ehad- the Lord is the unique one (Omega Glory)
edit on 11-2-2014 by BELIEVERpriest because: corrected transliteration

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Very true he didn't use those words.
But it was these words the Pharisees found most threatening
when Jesus was quoted. Threatening, because they knew when they heard this quote,
that Jesus was speaking to them in code. Because they knew God had said the same thing to Moses.

"Very truly I tell you," Jesus answered, "before Abraham was born, I am!"
John 8:58

I only hope you find the way Skorp. That is all.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   

randyvs

when Jesus was quoted. Threatening, because they knew when they heard this quote,
that Jesus was speaking to them in code. Because they knew God had said the same thing to Moses.

I AM!

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   

20dollardowry

randyvs

I AM!

By that I mean did you read the "Final Warning" thread by that poster?

Pretty doggone accurate if ya ask me.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by 20dollardowry

No I don't believe so. Hook me up ?

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   

randyvs

Do you really want me to provide a link for a topic which is listed only a few below this one?

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   

20dollardowry

randyvs

Do you really want me to provide a link for a topic which is listed only a few below this one?

Sheesh, here ya go!

Final Warning

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join