It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I've recently found out I'm a direct descendent of French Nobility

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by LightofLiberty

Ahh how cool.

I am convinced I was French in a past life. I did find out that my last name is of French origins and was changed in the mid 1800s to a German spelling and then changed again later on to the current spelling. I have had a HARD time finding anything about the French form of the name. My dad told me the little history I do know. My moms side is Italian/Sicilian and isn't hard to find information on but I think it might be a common Italian name since it does mean Venice.

I would love to know how you traced this information? I have given my last name to so many name sites and other people and they can never find my name.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 07:56 AM
link   
We all have a bit of Charlemagne in us...
blog.eogn.com...
and.
phenomena.nationalgeographic.com...
edit on 9-2-2014 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 08:00 AM
link   
The European part of my family can trace it's linage back to Charles II of England. He was excluded from succession because he was illegitimate. Now the Brits have a family of Germans as their royals makes sense huh?

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 08:19 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 08:53 AM
link   

I am a direct descendent of French nobility

Take it easy.

Before your ancestors and all their friends and relations were carted off in the tumbrils in 1789, they spread their seed far and wide for about a thousand years. So sure, you're a direct descendant of French nobility. You, and everybody else.

If you were tempted to go putting on any airs (and I am quite sure you are not), reflect that, before they got their heads chopped off in the Revolution, your ancestors were forced to hang about Versailles, jostling for the privilege of holding a lighted candle or some piece of the king's underwear while he got dressed. The king didn't want his nobles fomenting disloyalty in the provinces, so he kept them close and rarely allowed them to return to their estates or do anything meaningful with their lives.

And that, by the way, was when things were going well in pre-Revolutionary France.

Now, if you'd said you were a direct descendant of Napoleon, I'd be thoroughly impressed.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

My intention was not to impress you. I wanted information on blue bloods and the mythology behind them. Stating that I am a direct descendent is true, it's a matter of fact given the research. My family left because they were Huguenots therefore they prized religious freedom. My ancestors came to America in the very early 1700s before this was a nation. Your obtuse statements befuddle me.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Elijah23

Yes, the first known Baron was in Montaigne (southern France) and then they went to Paris later on eventually becoming Viscounts and Counts. I'm interested to know what information you may have as I have always been attracted to the occult. Thanks I will PM you.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Baddogma

I did a DNA analysis thing as part of the National Geographic Genographic project which I highly recommend doing because it gives you a map of where all your ancestors came from based on haplogroup and DNA markers. Anyways, I researched it as well and it showed I was in the same haplogroup as Tsar Nicholas. Now, does that mean we are related? No. It just means we probably have the same DNA markers from a ancestor thousands of years ago. If you're interested it was Haplogroup T, specifically subclade T2.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I am a direct descendant of the Famous warrior Rob Roy, So what.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

I recently discoverd I share a connection to some Lucy living in Africa 55.000 years ago.....

Peace

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   

In answer to the OP's question; Knights Templar comes to mind, but you'll have to go back farther than the 1500's to check.

My family tree is rather boring. No superpowers, no ninjas, no royalty.

Though I do have a cousin who can do that fart noise with his armpit very loudly.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   

buster2010
The European part of my family can trace it's linage back to Charles II of England. He was excluded from succession because he was illegitimate.

Hey we are related!

Haha

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   

aLLeKs

nugget1
Fur elise means 'flower of the lily'.

That's all I got.

Für Elise is German and means "For Elise"
What you mean is "Fleur-de-lis"

Yeah; now I got nothin'.

Thanks for the late night correction!

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

Its so easy to be sublimely rude.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Now the Brits have a family of Germans as their royals makes sense huh?

It makes perfect sense.

The first king of England was a sort of German. So were the next few.

Then they had some Danes for a bit. They didn't last long, though. Soon it was back to Germans again.

In 1066 a Frenchman (who was really a kind of Viking) conquered England from the last of the Germans and took the throne.

It was French for quite a while after that, but they fought with one another a lot. In 1603 the last one standing died, so the English had to bring in some Scots to rule them instead. The Scots didn't do so well; one got his head chopped off, while another was chased out of England because the people were afraid he would turn them into Romans. So they put his daughter on the throne instead, and imported a Dutchman to share it with her.

The Dutchman didn't have any children, so when he died they to put the Scots back for one more round. But the Scot they chose was a bit too round and they found she couldn't have any children.

So they wisely went back to having Germans. It took the new ones some time to learn English properly, but everything went like oiled sauerkraut after that, and it's been Germans ever since.

I am not making this up, you know.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I can't even find any information about my family going back over four generations. It all ends after my great grandfather on my fathers side for me. On my mothers side it ends about the same place. It seems that if your ancestors weren't Royal, nobody cares to trace them back. My wife on the other hand can trace back her ancestors for many generations. On the English side. I guess Finns and Swedes are rarely important in this world.

I suppose if I actually went to Finland, I could find out who my ancestors were or also if I talked to the Mormons. It really doesn't matter anyway, I am who I am. I am who my ancestors were, with slight modifications. I am just a normal nobody I guess, that is good enough for me. I am not jealous of those with Royal blood, they are who they are. I want to be me, not someone else. I want my kids to be happy with who they are too.

Maybe I might have some Royal blood in me, Who knows, my family name goes back three thousand years.....it is considered a holy name, not a Royal name though. It does not really matter to me, I should be judged on my actions, not my ancestors. My father was a good honest man who worked hard for what he earned, I want to be like him.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   

I think it is always fascinating to learn where we come from. Those twists and turns in family lineages can be surprising.

My father's, father's line traces back to Norway. We can trace the family lineage to before the Viking era, and during the Viking era they rose to prominence. These weren't just Scandinavian people living in the Viking age, these were Vikings for real, (there is still a town with our family name). My ancestors were raiding for wealth and extremely violent; which is kind of funny, because my grandfather was a very soft-spoken, kind hearted, calm man.

My fathers parents were also extremely racist, especially my grandmother. Her ancestors were from the Antebellum South, and she claimed an "Uncle" that fought for the Confederates as a General. Eventually, I looked into things (strangely, prompted by my grandmother herself), and when I traced it back, her grandfather was listed in the census as "mulatto". This man did not exist in terms of paper work before the civil war, but he claimed family on the census form that goes back to his grandparents in the U.S.; so by his report my grandmothers ancestors have been in this country the longest.

My mother is only 3rd generation in this country on both sides, Czech and Welsh. The Czech ancestors were from the "cottager" class and left the country because of some sort of dispute with the Catholic Church there, and the Welsh side claims ancestry from nobility, but I haven't looked into that.

If you trace our Welsh line back far enough, they come from France, but I just don't know enough to help you with your questions. I like reading about people's ancestor stories though, especially where the family lore deviates from the truth, and I couldn't help but share.

edit on 9-2-2014 by redhorse because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   

My intention was not to impress you.

Yes, that's right, you mentioned you wanted to find out more about it.

I offered you some information. There's plenty more on the internet if you want to learn about your ancestors; though I would also recommend learning a bit about the statistics of heredity. The French nobility came to an end in 1789; not the families, obviously, but their titles. That was 225 years, or nine generations ago. Time for a lot of genes to spread. And there were hundreds of thousands of French nobles; anything between 150,000 and 300,000 in 1789.

If your ancestors were Hugenots as well as aristos that would make them pretty rare. There were a few noble families that were Hugenot, but it wasn't a safe thing to be; both Church and State viewed such families as potential threats.

Stating that I am a direct descendent is true.

I never said it wasn't; only that it isn't a particularly uncommon thing to be.

Your obtuse statements befuddle me.

That's because you're reading an agenda into them that isn't there.

Sorry about Napoleon crack; you need a bit of history to understand its meaning. Napoleon's bloodline is extinct, you see.

Unless there's a conspiracy theory about that floating about somewhere, too.

edit on 9/2/14 by Astyanax because: of prolixity.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   
According to my grandmother's research, one of our forebearers was one maybe one of the first minor nobility to die in the Battle of Normandy. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not.

I always think that heredity is fascinating for all the interesting little tidbits it can dig up.

We're thinking of delving into ours a bit more closely, particularly my husband's as he's adopted, but my own family has its own mysteries, too. My paternal grandfather is illegitimate, so it would be interesting just to see what genetic groups are lurking in my blood. On the one hand, it's pretty clearly English, but who knows about the other side? It might be Scotch or German based on the surname, but no one knows because part of that heritage is completely unknown.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join