It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I've recently found out I'm a direct descendent of French Nobility

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Cowboy Queen Dale Evans (Roy Rogers), and actress Linda Evans are related to me.

Bob Evans (sausage) is my great uncle...but I still have to pay full price for at the grocery store...

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Ah as an avid gardener, I know that plant as the salix discolor, although most people do not realize it, pussy willow as it is commonly known comes in a variety of colors and is in the family of salix integra dappled willow, or common willow. I love garden pictures!

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by LightofLiberty

Good for you! I am a descendent of William the Conqueror and also Frederick the Great and probably Ghengis Kahn, though that last is not documented. Now let's do a little experiment. You have two parents, right? And four grandparents. For the sake of argument, let's say there are FOUR generations per hundred years. It's probably more like five, since women historically were having children at puberty, not some mythical age when society determined they were "adults,' but I'm opting for some easy math here. And let's start in 2000 AD for the same reason

1-2000
2-1975 parents
4-1950 grandparents
8-1925 great grandparents
16-1900 great great grandparents
32-1875 great great great grandparents
64-1850 great great great great grandparents
128-1825 great great great great great granparents
256-1800 great great great great great great grandparents
512-1775 (great x 7) grandparents
1024-1750 (great x 8) grandparents; World population: 750,000,000
2048-1725 (great x 9) grandparents
4096-1700 (great x 10) grandparents
let's do every 4th now to make it shorter
65,536 -1600 (great x 14) grandparents; World population: 545 million; Europe: 10 million
1,048,576-1500 (great x 18) World population: 450 million
16,772,216-1400 (great x 22) World population: 350 million
268,435,456-1300 (great x 26) World population: 360 million
4,294,967,296-1200 (great x 30) World population: 360 million
68,719,476,736-1100 (great x 34) World population: 320 million
1,099,511,627,776-1000 (great x 38) World population: 265 million

Note: That last number up there is 1 TRILLION, about 4,000 times the population of the world at that time.

The population statistics are estimates for the entire world. If you are of a certain ethnicity, say largely European, then these figures would be exponentially less. For example, Europe in 1600 had a population close to 10 million compared to a world population of half a billion. On a worldwide basis your number of ancestors approaches the population of the entire world by 1300 and far surpasses it, once again exponentially, by 1200 when your "number of ancestors" at 4 billion compares to a world population of 360 million.

Of course, that didn't happen, did it? The only reasonable explanation is that many, if not most, of your ancestors overlapped so that in real terms, a person of European ancestry is related to every other person of European ancestry probably from about 1600 or even later on up to the present. By 1500 AD the population of Europe exceeds the number of your ancestors living at that time. Of course, from our perspective today cousins married cousins. In other words, we're all cousins many times over.

And we're all related to royalty. Your next door neighbor is as much related to French nobility as you are, and is very very likely at least your 20th cousin. It's just that no one wrote down, or he has not yet discovered, the links to take him back there. People did that selectively over time, of course, concentrating on their "noble" ancestors more than their peasants because they were the only ones written down. So the fact that I am related to William the Conqueror, and can "prove" it with my charts and graphs doesn't give me much bragging rights when the total number of my ancestors from 1000 AD is 1 trillion when the population of the entire world was a quarter billion.

* Population statistics, one of many

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

Thank you, schuyler.

That, OP, was my point. Nothing personal, you see.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

one of our forebearers was one maybe one of the first minor nobility to die in the Battle of Normandy.

I'm sure some of the officers at Normandy were from aristocratic families. Which side was your forebear on, the Allies or the Nazis?

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   

crazyewok

crawley
How come no one is ever related to a # scooper or ditch digger?

Probably am. But not really intresting to talk about.

Thing is you trace back far enough everyone is likely to find someone intresting,

I also have the painter john constable in my family and a SS colonel my family wont talk about.

Not only is everyone and their mother (literally) related to assorted "# scoopers" and worse - everyone currently alive in Europe, and by extension many or most people in the Americas, is related (by blood) to assorted kings and emperors, including Charlemagne.
This is a well-established genealogical fact.
Some can document it, others cannot, but we all ARE related to them.
And to each other.

P.S. But not everyone is related to the great John Constable! :-)

edit on 9-2-2014 by AdAstra because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Direct descendant of King Charlemagne here. I didn't so much as get a damned candle stick from the castle. LOL Have some Native American ancestory and Irish as well. Had some guy die mining for gold, some war heros...interesting the facts you can find.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Maxatoria
reply to post by crawley

Everyone ignores those members of the family when drawing up the family tree and sticks them in 8 point text while someone slightly famous get 20 point text and a fancy text box so everyone can feel a bit more superior

No, not everyone.

But those who do, have a perfectly valid reason for doing so: by virtue of having been well-known, those "20 point" ancestors simply offer much more material, anecdotes and such, than those after whom only their names (if that) remain. THAT's why they are more interesting. For the same reason that people prefer to read historical novels over phonebooks.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Astyanax
reply to post by ketsuko

one of our forebearers was one maybe one of the first minor nobility to die in the Battle of Normandy.

I'm sure some of the officers at Normandy were from aristocratic families. Which side was your forebear on, the Allies or the Nazis?

A baron under William the Conqueror?

I got Battle of Hastings mixed up with Normans and Normandy. Oops!

It's been a while since I thought about it honestly. It's not like it's anything more than a fun tidbit in any case.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Congratulations your Grace! My condolences...French? For some unapparent reason my index and middle finger of my right hand start to aquiver at anything french...ha..ha.. In all seriousness, good for you, it should be very interesting to pursue your history. PEACE

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

Small world, OR big Russia!

Russian nobles must have gotten around to many a young peasants' hovel... nobility and rape... goes together like wealth and unexamined privilege... heh.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   
AdAstra is perfectly correct. Though people like crawley seem hell-bent on attaching unsubstantiated base motives to it, the fact is that the lives of most everyone are not documented at all. Most times ditch diggers were lucky to have even their births and deaths recorded in the church logs--exactly the same as William Shakespeare's official documentation. We write about the nobility because that literally is all we have. But we're related to both, and this is proven by our DNA.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Join the crowd. Given how few people there were then compared to today. My guess is millions of us, me included, are direct descendents of royalty. I am part of the Eskridge Society as a direct descendant, and they have traced us all back to royalty of France and Britain on my mothers side; even possibly to Charlamagne. On my fathers side I trace back to a bastard child of the Earl of Dudley, a romantic fixation of Queen Elizabeth. If you look at the conspiracy sites you will see direct linage of every President back to royalty. It is a statistical probability that nearly everyone with even a drop of caucasian blood can trace their ancestry to European royalty. Heck, my grandmother proved I'm related to George Washington. Just don't mention my grandfather who was a pimp for hotels during the depression.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 03:40 PM
link   

I too hail from royal blood. We traced our history to Germany and further to England. Our lineage gets hard to trace around the 1400's, however we've been told that we're most likely English royal born.

Tea party at my castle, everyone else is invited too.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Direct descendant of Sir Walter Scott, then to Mary Queen of Scots, Stewart line. And that went to France and the merovingians. I don't particularly like bloodlines like that either. We seem to have both sides on the family, potentially one from Alaric the Great, guided by a freedom fighting archangel, and then from the corrupt, Rome/Egypt/Sumar. So potentially one line of my family sacked the other, the slavers! Always liked that.

I don't know enough about French history to know if that is the also the merovigian line.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Not to rain on your parade .. but you and everyone else. Pretty much everyone can trace their roots to a noble at some point. Ghengis Khan is estimated to have 16 million living male descendents today.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 02:17 AM
link   

nugget1
Fur elise means 'flower of the lily'.

That's all I got.

The correct spelling is "fleur de Lys" Nugs

Sorry, I live in France... smack bang in the middle of the Loire valley which is where most of the Royal castles are situated.

My In-laws have a Vineyard that once belonged to the grounds of Chenonceau castle and I have quite a few stories to share that have been handed down from generation to generation, as well as a couple of stories to tell about my pot-holing endevours underneath the Cher River leading up to the castle of Chenonceau (especially the tunnel that leads to the bedroom of François Ist.

OP, if you need any more info on your family I would be glad to help you out as best as I can as I have a very good friend at the "mairie" town hall of the royal castle of Chambord (quaint little hunting lodge with 365 chimneys and a staircase supposedly designed by Da Vinci) and she has access to all archives for the Loire Valley castles.

Link to castle here : chambord.org...

Click on découvrir Chambord (if you can't be arsed to read French just Google it and you will get something in English)

Just U2U me

Kindest respects

Rodinus
edit on 10/2/14 by Rodinus because: Crap spelling

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 02:20 AM
link   
So... to put it in a nutshell...

We are all related......

WAHAYYYYYYYYY can't wait for the annual family gathering... And NO i am not bringing the main course.

Kindest respects

Rodinus

Ps. Direct descendant to Robbie Burns here (famous Scottish poet)

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 06:31 AM
link   
a reply to: crawley

Apparently legitimate questions are verboten

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 06:46 AM
link   
As someone else hear asked WHY is it when people research a family history, they always found out they're related to Charlemegne, El Cid, Salahadin, Hitler or the Queen of England?

I've spent nearly 15 years doing research and my family are Irish immigrants or Mormons who emigrated from England to Utah in the 1840's.
My claim to fame is my 3rd great grand uncle is Absalom Yates, who married Rebecca Harris from Nauvoo, Ilinois who was Martin Harris's sister.

Apart from that I can go back to Sir Hugh Allan in 1535, nothing more..nobody famous, no kings, no royalty..just a hand full of Mick's and Mormons..

There's many quirky stories like my name sake from rural lincolnshire who lived in a village of 150 people and married a girl called Eliza Simpson (born 1851) from Livingstone, New York, in 1879. How she came to be in his village we'll never know. I think her family were immigrants from Linconlshire who moved back to England when things didn't go well.
edit on AM1Mon20141972 by andy1972 because: (no reason given)

edit on AM1Mon20141972 by andy1972 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join