It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Journalists at Sochi are live-tweeting their hilarious and gross hotel experiences

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by frazzle

frazzleDo a little research on our aging waste water treatment plants, they're a lot less safe than people want to believe. But I suppose feeling safe and protected is more important than scary talk about upgrading failing infrastructure systems. What you don't know can't hurt you, right?

And remember, the guys with the nuke codes had to cheat to pass the tests, but I'm sure municipal waste water workers are held to a higher standard.

I know all about aging infrastructure as I work in Baltimore. The 100+ year water system here is crumbling and not a day goes by without me seeing at least 3 crews digging up flooded streets. I've seen whole blocks of houses being supplied water through (basically) garden hoses while work is being done. It would be funny if not so alarming....but what is the alternative? Dig up the entire city at once?
article

“They just seem to be playing Keystone Cops with all the water main breaks and playing catch up with an infrastructure that’s just imploding on itself,” Siple (a Baltimore resident) said. link

According to the Department of Public Works, in all of 2013, the city saw 1,136 ruptures. But last month alone, we saw nearly a third of that number with 353.

Luckily anyone can test their water whenever they want...just learn how to do it yourself as "professional" testers will likely try and sell you something. If you do use a pro make sure they're not also a salesman for some water purification company.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 08:48 AM
link   

MrLimpet

MonkeyMentat
reply to post by UxoriousMagnus

So.... what's the last picture (bottom right) telling you not to do?

Maybe it's, Don't poop on the floor?

edit on 5-2-2014 by MrLimpet because: (no reason given)

Dont kick the toilet?? lol

The one that gets me is the "no fishing in the toilet" one lol

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 09:13 AM
link   

antar
reply to post by UxoriousMagnus

This is what kind of raised my CT eye brow...

In any case, the world can decide for itself soon enough. Sochi’s opening ceremony will air Feb. 7 at 11 a.m. ET; the actual events will start the day before.

Is this so they can edit for intended content? Weird imo.

Time change. They are 9 hours ahead.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 09:14 AM
link   

RedParrotHead
reply to post by frazzle

frazzleDo a little research on our aging waste water treatment plants, they're a lot less safe than people want to believe. But I suppose feeling safe and protected is more important than scary talk about upgrading failing infrastructure systems. What you don't know can't hurt you, right?

And remember, the guys with the nuke codes had to cheat to pass the tests, but I'm sure municipal waste water workers are held to a higher standard.

I know all about aging infrastructure as I work in Baltimore. The 100+ year water system here is crumbling and not a day goes by without me seeing at least 3 crews digging up flooded streets. I've seen whole blocks of houses being supplied water through (basically) garden hoses while work is being done. It would be funny if not so alarming....but what is the alternative? Dig up the entire city at once?
article

“They just seem to be playing Keystone Cops with all the water main breaks and playing catch up with an infrastructure that’s just imploding on itself,” Siple (a Baltimore resident) said. link

According to the Department of Public Works, in all of 2013, the city saw 1,136 ruptures. But last month alone, we saw nearly a third of that number with 353.

Luckily anyone can test their water whenever they want...just learn how to do it yourself as "professional" testers will likely try and sell you something. If you do use a pro make sure they're not also a salesman for some water purification company.

I have to work in this god forsaken armpit of a city as well.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Oh the English vocabulary now and on is one expression richer:

Don't (or do) pull a Sochi

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   
In that last picture he is trying to stuff the big red cross down the toilet. So "no blocking the toilet" i think.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   

FlyersFan

kx12x
I don't know about that. Maybe the media is trying to make Russia look bad?

For what purpose? There is none. Russia has made itself look bad. It's the only country that couldn't get itself together to be able to prepare for the Olympics. It's not a third world country. But it's steeped in corruption. The news is reporting the effects of that corruption. It's something that Russia doesn't take kindly too .... truth about it's gov't. Just ask the rock band members that were tossed in jail for daring to write a negative song about Putin.

Daring to write a negative song? Um, I think you might have skimmed over the part where they performed their "little ditty" in Russia's main cathedral. I am aware that a lot of people don't think there's anything wrong with defiling other people's beliefs and places of worship, speaking of who's steeped in corruption, and speaking of what the "media is, and is not, reporting".

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   
There are a lot of members of the press trying their best to destroy these games before they have begun, mostly American i would suggest. A lot of people have put in an enormous amount of effort. Let's give the people a chance, i hope the games are great. Go on yourself Russia.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   

RedParrotHead
reply to post by frazzle

article

Yeah, I know about water testing and I didn't mean to demean your own line of work, you don't have the authority or the ability to overhaul the broken systems single handedly, none of us do. Thing is, if someone tests their water and it comes up contaminated ~ what other provider are they going to go to, to get what they're already paying for? The scary part is that we have been made so utterly dependent on these failing systems that bashing Russia's brown water problem is akin to an ape in a cage at the zoo throwing poop (speaking of) at the passersby to feel a little better about his lack of control over his own stinking environment.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   

wantsome
Maybe the next time the US hosts the Olympics we can have them in Detroit. Sochi looks like paradise compared to parts of the US.
edit on 7-2-2014 by wantsome because: (no reason given)

ehhhh....they would have to come up with some new sports...

like..."run 8 mile without getting shot.....put"

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 12:02 AM
link   
These Games are a joke. Forget the incomplete Hotels, Forget the stray dogs, Forget the lack of Door Locks, what about awarding a Winter Olympics to a location that doesn't really have a real Winter.

Juss sayen.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Have we figured out the last picture yet?

I get the fishing one, it's for funny ha-ha. Fine. Good one. But what about the last picture? I've read the funny guesses, but seriously....what is he doing? Whatever it is, does it actually happen often enough to "poo-poo" it with a red circle/slash?

Or is this a "funny ha-ha" like the fishing one that we simply don't get?

We need our Russian Comrades to translate this one for us.

Please! I must know what the last pic is!!

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by hoghead cheese

What little I do know about Russia, they do have a great history, many also live like they did a hundred years ago, it is a very enigmatic place, the opening ceremonies were very nice, what I saw of them, and I do respect them as a people, and their country.

Kinda happy for them, and yes the west press is being snarky.

I really didn't like the British opening ceremony all that much. Remember the dancing hospital beds, LMAO

edit on 102828p://bSaturday2014 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by tjack

Well, being a Russian, I don't get it too. Instead I would add a rather popular pic with the 'Don't stand on a toilet seat with ice skates put on' meaning.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 10:45 PM
link   

RedParrotHead
reply to post by BMorris

No...it seems disgusting have human feces just sitting in wastebasket. That is what's on the paper after you wipe - human waste, crap, poop, whatever you call it...it has to smell terrible. I mean how long before it's emptied?

Maybe we are spoiled, I don't know. But I for one can't wait until we have "the three seashells"

hahahaha OMG I bet I'm the only one who recognized this from Demolition Man!

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by kx12x

Yeah man, I think its incredibly twisted the way the media is criticizing these Olympics and Russia. As if the USA is some kind of utopia filled with superior examples of human kind. If they are having issues do you really think theyre happy about it? Do you think this kind of press is helping them feel better about life? That we're sending a message of support and caring and concern, representing the very reason for having a WORLD olympics ,building a productive image and relationship with Russia? What possesses people to behave this way? I do not understand it. It makes no sense to me at all. Are people unaware of the state of the global community in general right now? Not bad enough is it? Not enough disconnect yet from our brothers and sisters around the world? Keep bringing it. Bring it until it breaks completely, if you think thats the answer to finding happiness because apparently a lot of us are unable to simply work it our in our heads. The horse needs to bleed profusely from the whip before it will run. I guess.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Under neath it all I feel it's a combination of the Main Stream media agenda and their privileged lives. There are journalists that may have only been to other countries while staying in five star all inclusive resorts, not used to much outside of there comfortable apartments personal assistants, maids, and beckoning hotel staff in large US cities. If you've never used an out house, pooped in the woods while backpacking or camping the I idea of putting your toilet paper in the trash can could be quite a shock.
There is also the agenda, make Russia seem as backward as possible, the US has never really been a winter Olympic power house and they want us to feel better and more superior than the Russians. Obama is still upset that Putin schooled him at the G-8 last year, and wants to make them look bad. Propaganda to the rescue.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   

BMorris
Its not that unusual to be asked not to flush toilet tissue. Many countries in eastern Europe make the same request. The only reason it seems odd/disgusting/hilarious to you, is because its something you've not encountered before.

Its just a paradigm shift.

Hmmm you're name minus the 'M' is rather suspect comrade.

I'm amused because Russia is still a superpower, but they can't get it together enough in one city to have decent toilets. Or running water that isn't contaminated.

I wasn't disgusted or finding hilarity in Costa Rica when I couldn't flush toilet paper in the more rural areas. Well aware many countries don't have all the little niceties we do in the US, but considering this used to be (and in many ways still is) our biggest rival in the world, it's amusing.

It's like having a guy talk a bunch of smack about how his car is superior and opening the hood to find a malnourished gerbil as the only means of power. Considering this is the Olympics and they should be trying to put their best foot forward it's like finding out a car has no engine at a car show. It's funny.

Ignore the toilet paper and they still have done an abysmal job preparing.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 12:44 AM
link   
I'd say in the last pic that's a bottle in his hand and it means no getting ($#!&faced) "falling down drunk" in the toilet stall.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 01:18 AM
link   

I find this the strangest of the photo's. No need to interrupt a conversation to relieve yourself, just move the party into the bathroom with you.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join