It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Traveling abroad this year.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Hey all, planning a little trip overseas later in the year, and need some help. We will fly to Norway first to check out the auroras (allegedly this year and last are the best times to see them due to solar activity) then kinda open for the next ten days or so. We were thinking of hitting Ireland and Portugal. Hoping to have my brother marry my fiancé and I on some sweet cliffs in Ireland.

Anyways, any advice you fine folks can give me would be appreciated, I've looked into things, but figure there are probably pretty knowledgeable folks right here on ATS that can give me loads of info. We are really trying to avoid the touristy things, we want to get as much of local culture as possible in the time allowed.

-Cheapest travel options

-Must-see spots to visit

-how not to be a total American a-hole (customs and the like)

So, anything any world travelers or natives can learn me on would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, friends!

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Try some traditional foods in Norway, not just the commercial restaurant stuff. When I went to Mexico near Tucson Arizona, I went past the barriers and got some really good cheap donuts. I got to talk to the people there, but most couldn't understand me and I couldn't understand them either...Actually that was real fun.

When I went to the money exchange I bought an instant lottery ticket, I asked a guy walking down the street if it was a winner, it appeared to be. he shook his head and walked away calling me a gringo, I tossed it in the garbage can on the street as I was thanking him, he looked back as I said something to him. When I went in the bakery with the money I saw him pick it out and go into the exchange. I think It was ten thousand something, maybe about twenty bucks. Hope he enjoyed it. They could now sell me the donuts now that they knew what to charge me. I got a bunch of bakery for less than a buck. I was happy, even though I could not communicate with anybody there other than one woman in the exchange a little bit and a woman in the back of the bakery who knew a little English. I gave the bakery workers a tip...Gave them an American Buck, they could go and get it exchanged.

You gotta go into an Irish pub and drink a local beer for me.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by denybedoomed

If you come across a Vimonopolet in Norway, remember where you saw it just in case.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Aphorism

Had to look that up, will keep my eyes peeled!

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Check out the Giants Causeway in Ireland. Cliffs like none before. A must see. And Dublin is great (although I have never been).

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   

denybedoomed
Hoping to have my brother marry my fiancé and I on some sweet cliffs in Ireland.

That's so romantic...! So I have a few ideas, first a couple of questions...

Are you only going to Norway to see the auroras?

Regarding Ireland, I assume you have family there, whereabouts will you be staying?

Also, is there any particular reason you want to go to Portugal?

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by paradisepurple

Pretty much just going to see the lights in Norway.

No family in Ireland, maybe Sweden.

And Portugal just looks awesome, since we are going in winter we didn't want to be freezing the entire time.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by denybedoomed

I was thinking Iceland would be better than Norway. Just as much chance of seeing the Northern Lights but there's also a lot more to see there, Norway's quite boring... Coming from the US I also think it will be cheaper for you to fly to Iceland than Norway.

Ireland is lovely but imo there are far more beautiful places to go in Europe.... Especially to get married!

Portugal is not that amazing to be honest. If you're after a nice climate with beautiful beaches you'd be better off going to Sardinia and it's just as accessible! Here...

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by paradisepurple

Noted, thanks for the input! Will look into this now.

new topics

top topics

join