It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Human-Animal chimeras(hybrids): They're being created, is it ethical?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 11:24 PM
link   
First, here's an article that describes some of the chimeras (animals with human and animal cells) that have been created to date:
www.msnbc.msn.com...

Most of the instances involve things related to the production of medicine at a microbial level, but... there have recently been cases where animals (in this case mice) have been created that have human brain cells.

Now... at first I thought I was, as my eyes strolled towards the bottom of the page, getting worked up over nothing. After all, I thought, no one would ever dare to create an animal that had a facsmile of a human brain, right? Well... one thing that becomes clear by the article's end is that many of the scientists involved in these projects see nothing wrong, at all, with creating an animal that has 'human' mental characteristics.

Beyond what could be called 'religious' regions, I have to say that I find their attitudes disturbing. After all, such chimeras would lead to a degradation of human rights (after all, inorder to create such mentally human chimeras one would already have had to have abandoned the notion that human minds are special)... and a new type of slavery (because something that is partially human will be created as a piece of property).

Anyways... that's my opinion. As a sidenote, articles like these also make me much more open to the possibility that the Dulce legend is real.

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Good find. For an additnal resource you may want to read through this ATS thread on chimeras: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Good material in there, too.

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Personally I think its a good idea to create animals with the mentality of humans, but only certain animals.
If we could create chimeras of that level a new fad of combining animal traits with human bodies, such as mer people and other animal mixes./

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Meh, you probably call it horrible, but i see it as natural progression. All life survives through the survival of the fitess idea. humans at the moment are the fittest, and we are now through technology and genetic engineering, simply creating fitter versions of ourselves. It's evolution taken into our own hands in a way
I'm sure LOTS disagree with me, you're entitled to you opinions, and I'm entitled to mine

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Maybe its got its perks in someways, but i think it is a really BAD idea, now its only tame "cute" animals but wait until some guy gets an idea in his head to cross breed a man an a lion then is it still a good idea?

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 05:39 AM
link   
people say that we are the dominant species on this planet but physically we are weak when neanderthals (excuse spelling) were around they could survive a stampeed from a rino! my point is that today we get too caught up in technology and dont exercise enough im for genetic modification what if somtime in the futer we could upgrade our bodys into hyrbrids all of the strength none of our physical weaknesses

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Looks like spiderman won't be far behind lol. I personally wouldn't mind if they did this. Humans nowadays fight against each other based on skin colour alone but making these chymeras and showing it in ppls faces would eventually make them accept the differences between diff colored humans and come together and hate those animals lol. I have no idea what i'm talking about atm too tired lol.

E_T

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by orfeo8
Looks like spiderman won't be far behind lol. I personally wouldn't mind if they did this. Humans nowadays fight against each other based on skin colour alone but making these chymeras and showing it in ppls faces would eventually make them accept the differences between diff colored humans...
More propably it would lead to same kind situation like in X-Men.

Originally posted by LordGoofus
All life survives through the survival of the fitess idea. humans at the moment are the fittest, and we are now through technology and genetic engineering, simply creating fitter versions of ourselves.
Nope, like klain said truth is that human body is pretty weak.
Without all these technical gadgets of our civilisation nature would wipe table with us.

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Who cares about Chimeras, we gotta completely re-engineer our whole body. Check out this mind-bending far-out proposel.

Our Ultimate Corporeal Forms

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 01:48 PM
link   
So where do you think the myths and legends came from, minitors, pan, medusa, etc. Pre-flood genetics.

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrHoracid
So where do you think the myths and legends came from, minitors, pan, medusa, etc. Pre-flood genetics.

Maybe, or much more likely some explorer happened upon some bones from some prehistoric creature long since extinc and misinterpreted it(ie Misinterpreting a T-Rex skull for that of the mythical dragon) minotaurs, medusa etc are hard to explain maybe just a fictional story that got overblown over the centuries. I wonder how much fiction in this age will become "History" thousands of years from now

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 01:59 PM
link   
This might be of interest:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 04:57 AM
link   

Nope, like klain said truth is that human body is pretty weak.
Without all these technical gadgets of our civilisation nature would wipe table with us.

You pretty much just agreed with my statement you were critisizing hehe. We have survived and become successful because we ARE the fittest. Now, fittest does not necessarily have to mean physically fit. We learnt to use and create tools. They gave us an edge. We then learnt to improve those tools, and use them to make even better tools to give us an even greater edge. We continue to follow this define, refine & reinvent technique, resulting in the technology we have today. This is our key advantage which has made us so sucessful.

Neathandral man actually had a larger brain than homosapiens, was stronger AND faster, so PHYSICALLY, he should have survived, BUT he died out most likely due to the fact homosapiens learnt to A) Use and create better tools B) Domesticate early dogs for hunting etc.

Our intelligence & ability to create things is what makes physical fitness less important for our species. (note, I said LESS important. I'm not saying is it totally unimportant).

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 09:48 PM
link   
This article from National Geographic claims that the first chimeras were made in China in 2003 for stem cell research:

news.nationalgeographic.com...

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Also check out one of several earlier threads I started on this subject:

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
Also check out one of several earlier threads I started on this subject:

Actually, my thread predates yours by about two months. I'm convinced that the search engine here is crazy. I swear... I've had a hard time finding my own threads...

But, back to the subject at hand: If you paid close attention to Bush's State of the Union, he mentioned that he would seek to prevent a situation where human embryos were created for research purposes... or where humans were created for the sake of obtaining spare body parts from them. This chimera technology would seem to fall within that taboo... I wonder how long it will be until Bush pre-emptively bans the creation of these things?

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 05:17 AM
link   
predictions:

Future humans create reptile\human cold blooded hybrid known as reptilloid, that allows hi body tollerances to radiation, wipe out humans remaining and become an elite race that conquers time and comes back to hasten the maketh of them!

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Crow with human brain cells- That’s what they need to do for this to get out of hand fast- They start with mice, move on to pigs then dolphins, chimps etc... Bored with no major changes what about the smartest bird, it already talks and dominates every inch of the world it lives in- Hey lets breed them but in a safe setting oops got away that killer bee problem was nothing compared to this!

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 07:41 PM
link   
what are we humans but animals are self?

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 08:01 PM
link   
This is exactly what we need if we are intent on making this world uninhabitable. Due to global warming we are going to expericence some extreme temperature changes, therefore we will need high temperature range tolerance, imagine beingable to walk out in the snow with shorts and a tshirt!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join