It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was Snoden a Russian Spy?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ChesterJohn

If it makes you feel better to believe this than face up to the fact that the U.S. was caught out and severely then so be it.

Personally I don't believe Snowden was a Russian spy.

You mention his personal gain? What personal gain? Fleeing from his country which supposedly stands for freedom and democracy?

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   

The truth is out there to quote Xfiles.

That's right - and you've certainly failed to provide it.

You've told us a lot of stuff which you've clearly just made up.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Was Snoden a Russian Spy?

I've been saying this since day one. It would make the most sense.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Kram09

Baaaah! Baaah!

I here the bleating of the MSM sheep

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I never really pondered the possibility before now, although espionage in general is something I am interested in as a research topic. Obviously you don't have to be from Russia, or a Russian citizen, to work for their intelligence agencies. In fact, some of the most successful Russian spies have been American citizens, who had never been to Russia, and who had never talked to Russian intelligence until they were ready to sell state secrets. That could have happened in this case.

But I will say that history shows us that if the spy was sent from Russia to a foreign country for the sole purpose of gathering secrets and intelligence, Russia would be more apt to want to get them back, mainly for propaganda purposes. But that was when the Soviet Union was still together, and things have changed since then.

Obviously if this were the case, Russia would not have wanted him discovered. But I believe that that US intelligence forced his hand, and that may be why he came out and said this was all some moral crusade. That could be a total lie just to garner public sympathy, when in fact he had been selling other secrets all along. I am not saying this is for sure, but it is possible.

I don't think he was sent by Russia for the express purpose of being a spy. I would think that he was either approached by a handler, or he contacted Russian intelligence himself, offering to sell secrets. In today's political sphere Russia would not want to admit such a thing, and this could be why they acted the way they did when he wanted to go to Russia. They obviously wouldn't have welcomed him as a hero, or admitted that he was a Russian spy, because of the political implications. The Soviet regime would sometimes do this, but it is rarer today.

Personally here is what I believe. I believe that Snowden was attempting to sell the information that he had, nobody wanted to buy it, and he got caught. This is when he said that he wanted to expose the corruption of the US government, and that was simply a tactic to hopefully lessen the backlash. I also think it is possible that some country was interested in purchasing his information, but somehow they realized that Snowden would soon be caught, and they didn't want to be holding the bag when that happened.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by JiggyPotamus

I would agree with that and add that Snowden was a seasoned hacker. what started out gleaning bank card numbers and password along with other personal ID info morphed into selling national secrets but as you said the govt pushed his hand so he grabbed what he could most of which was accessible to anyone but instead of requesting it he hacked into it and took it without proper procedure.

He is just a 2 bit criminal who turned to espionage to get more money and failed. I believe he either was approached or he approached someone. But in the end he figured a way to make himself out the hero by claiming to expose the govt fro spying. But gathering metadata for analysis is hardly spying on EVERYONE. It may have a lot of peoples stuff in metadata but even that needed to be gone filtered through because it was terabites of info.

BTW, Snowden is offered amnesty on only what the MSM and Guardian have. The criminal charges of bank card and Identity theft will not be affected by the amnesty the NSA offers.
edit on 28-1-2014 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 08:55 PM
link   

maybe...

Most likely a CIA mole with a fake back history. A "no-name".

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   

John_Rodger_Cornman

maybe...

Most likely a CIA mole with a fake back history. A "no-name".

Like our current President.

hmmm, makes sense.

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   

swanne
reply to post by WeRpeons

There is abuses all over the world. The question is, why are they focusing our attention on the US alone? What is it they want us to ignore?

It seems that the US are the 'brains' behind the whole operation. But many countries have all been linked to sharing PRISM data etc. It seems unlikely that the UK gov. for instance would be completely ignorant to it as they are trying to portray.

Living in the UK, the majority of the media coverage is about what crimes Snowden may have committed through the leak or is he a traitor/hero etc. Rather than actually focus on the content of the leaks and the disingenuous, fascist behavior of GHCQ/NSA.
---------------------
ChesterJohn, I don't understand how you can have such as stance on the whole thing? No matter his intention at the time the things he has revealed are surely of interest and important to people 'waking-up' on a larger scale?
edit on 30-1-2014 by troof because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by troof

If it was just to reveal info to the people no need to run. Most of the info if not all of it can be had by requesting it through the FOIA accessible from the NSA site. All he did was access the info without properly requesting it and that is a criminal act of theft in and of itself. The NSA lawyers are closed mouth about the array of criminal charges. While they agree to give him amnesty on the espionage charges there are an array of FBI charges of theft of Personal identity and bank account info he had been pilfering for the NSA meta-data he was hired to monitor. those charges have no amnesty.

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   
A fair point if that is true. But even so, if people do not know it is happening how can request info on it? All he did was bring it to the attention of the masses. No one could have predicted the scale of the entire operation either. Several countries involved. Many who are involved,yet are also being spied on secretly under the same program by the US and UK.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by troof

ALL those countries were not just involved in "monitoring" themselves but being "monitored" also. the metadata was shared when needed but knowing the NSA they weren't given everything.

Germany, The UK, France, Italy, Brazil and Australia were all involved in monitoring cell and Internet meta-data. I think their disgust was when they found out the US was also monitoring their metadata as well.

But like we said if the Data was available for public viewing via the FOIA for a fee. The crime was accessing it without proper process. If all it was was making that info known there was no need for Snowden to run he would have been a hero and would be living here happily.

So the question is why did he run?

The answer is he was a thief working with an international Identity theft ring that was based out of Russia. He may not have been a spy but now he makes himself look like one.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   

ChesterJohn
reply to post by troof

ALL those countries were not just involved in "monitoring" themselves but being "monitored" also. the metadata was shared when needed but knowing the NSA they weren't given everything.

Germany, The UK, France, Italy, Brazil and Australia were all involved in monitoring cell and Internet meta-data. I think their disgust was when they found out the US was also monitoring their metadata as well.

But like we said if the Data was available for public viewing via the FOIA for a fee. The crime was accessing it without proper process. If all it was was making that info known there was no need for Snowden to run he would have been a hero and would be living here happily.

So the question is why did he run?

The answer is he was a thief working with an international Identity theft ring that was based out of Russia. He may not have been a spy but now he makes himself look like one.

I just find it hard to believe everything he has leaked is all public info on request. Some of the powerpoint slides etc. are all internal training material. Surely not everything would have been available. Also why would he contact The Guardian to help release if he was planning on going straight to Russia? Wouldn't a spy be better off spying surreptitiously than leaking it to the masses. Or I suppose that could also stir up foreign relations/public opinions etc.

But any crime Snowden may be guilty of is for me irrelevant. As I said before, its the nature and content of the leaks that should be given the most attention.

Is their anything you can show me or direct me to that shows all of the info was available on request? Not trying to sound confrontational or anything im just interested thanks!
edit on 31-1-2014 by troof because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   
It wouldn't surprise me if Edward Snowden was a spy for Russia. It's well known that the US and Russia aren't exactly the best of friends both in the present and historically and domestic terrorists like Snowden are likely to cash-in on releasing top secret information. If Snowden's agenda was in the public interest by his own admission, he surely would have stopped leaking information when the uproar over what the governments in the UK and US were doing first occurred. By releasing further information he is presenting a serious security risk to both the UK and the US.
edit on 31-1-2014 by ProfessorT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   
so your saying he was a dreinie

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by troof

maybe his crimes to you are irrelevant but it is not to the millions of people who have lost millions of dollars to these Identity theft rings.

Giving it to the MSM assured biased anti-american bits of the released data that would draw attention to his criminal activities.

When the NSA and FBI are asked specifically about other crimes Snowden may have committed they say they can't comment do to an ongoing investigation. Of which Snowden had help by the Gaurdian in destroying the most important piece of evidence that could have helped in that investigation, the laptop computer he gave them. Accomplices after the fact in the willful destruction of evidence.

edit on 1-2-2014 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Onyxzyv
so your saying he was a dreinie

are you saying a character plying a game?

What use of the word dreinie are you alluding too?

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 08:23 AM
link   

ChesterJohn
reply to post by troof

maybe his crimes to you are irrelevant but it is not to the millions of people who have lost millions of dollars to these Identity theft rings.

Giving it to the MSM assured biased anti-american bits of the released data that would draw attention to his criminal activities.

When the NSA and FBI are asked specifically about other crimes Snowden may have committed they say they can't comment do to an ongoing investigation. Of which Snowden had help by the Gaurdian in destroying the most important piece of evidence that could have helped in that instigation, the laptop computer he gave them. Accomplices after the fact in the willful destruction of evidence.

You'd think, with all it's high tech wizardry, the NSA would be able to shut down all these cyber criminals... wouldn't you?

The problem is, they are the ones who for years have been strong-arming software and hardware companies to build in these back doors in the first place, which the cyber criminals can find and exploit too. Not to mention, of course, the likelihood that NSA and others are also involved in criminal activity using information taken from illegal monitoring for personal gain.

Also, do you really think that the destruction of the laptop given to the Guardian stopped anything? All data on that would have been copied of in multiples as soon as it was received, and spread far and wide for safe keeping. It was also the UK security state that had the laptop and other devices destroyed and was not undertaken without protest. The agents were even there watching the destruction! If it was indeed "evidence", why would they want it destroyed? Simply answer is that the information was potentially explosive and likely to cause a bit of a stink!

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Britguy

I don't think the destruction stopped all the info from being leaked. the criminal circles are still out there but you would be surprised how many of these guys are software developers or ex-ones. some of which have worked with the NSA.

I think Obama was trying to recruit some of these guys to help him with the hacker issue of Obamacare website.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 10:29 PM
link   
hes american not russian

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join