It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists watch glowing molecules form memories in real time

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Aleister
reply to post by St0rD

Thanks. Another thing to consider is that genuine psychics can pick up other people's memories, actually look at them. This indicates that access to another person's memories is off-site, as it were, and can be seen by scanning for them.

Oh well I had never looked at psychics this way. Sounds good.

Being able to access other memories through channelling off-site just like you said. Makes sense in the end I guess.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Aleister
reply to post by St0rD

Thanks. Another thing to consider is that genuine psychics can pick up other people's memories, actually look at them. This indicates that access to another person's memories is off-site, as it were, and can be seen by scanning for them.

Oh well I had never looked at psychics this way. Sounds good.

Being able to access other memories through channelling off-site just like you said. Makes sense in the end I guess.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by St0rD

Yeah, I'm sort of in the same camp as Aliester and Furry Texan here. What they are studying provides conclusions based on what they are already assuming. These studies are only showing us that things do happen when you are storing memory. If you were to take this information without any preconceptions of the common opinions about memory, you would not necessarily come to the conclusion that we are watching memories being built like cars in a factory.

We don't know where the memories are even stored because, no matter how much gray matter we remove, memories are still there even if faded. It's like hologram sheet glass; no matter how many times you shatter it, each individual shard retains the same image. This could mean several things but one conclusion is that our memory banks may not actually be the exclusive domain of our brains.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by St0rD

Psychic workshop: The best way to access someone else's memories, emotions, intentions, etc, is to "be them".

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Cuervo
reply to post by St0rD

Yeah, I'm sort of in the same camp as Aliester and Furry Texan here. What they are studying provides conclusions based on what they are already assuming. These studies are only showing us that things do happen when you are storing memory. If you were to take this information without any preconceptions of the common opinions about memory, you would not necessarily come to the conclusion that we are watching memories being built like cars in a factory.

We don't know where the memories are even stored because, no matter how much gray matter we remove, memories are still there even if faded. It's like hologram sheet glass; no matter how many times you shatter it, each individual shard retains the same image. This could mean several things but one conclusion is that our memory banks may not actually be the exclusive domain of our brains.

Yeah I agree with you on that. That would also explain why people have memories of another lifetime.

Memories in DNA, or simply stored in the hard drive of this infinite universe.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Aleister
reply to post by St0rD

Psychic workshop: The best way to access someone else's memories, emotions, intentions, etc, is to "be them".

Addition to this tip: If you play with this always end up being yourself.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

What do you mean, I'm not sure I get it?

Are you saying we have to be ourselves when trying to control this knowledge?

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by St0rD

No, this is a perceptional technique, and is actually off-topic for this thread, or at least would cause thread drift. I just wanted to add that in in case anybody started playing with it.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

Oh alright.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Cuervo
reply to post by St0rD

This could mean several things but one conclusion is that our memory banks may not actually be the exclusive domain of our brains.

St0rD
Yeah I agree with you on that. That would also explain why people have memories of another lifetime.

Memories in DNA, or simply stored in the hard drive of this infinite universe.

I assume that this would make better evidence for the SOUL or a Mind that uses the brain to store and process (like us sitting at a computer), and is not pushed around by the brain.

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 08:13 AM
link   

sligtlyskeptical
reply to post by St0rD

This is pretty neat. I can see it advancing to the point where all memories become optional. Out with the bad, replace with the good. I am scared at what version will be considered "good".

yea.. little freaked out myself..
being that all the movies that have been about getting someone memory 'wiped' ..

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by St0rD

People have received hemispherectomies (removal of half of the brain), and still were able to graduate college.

Yes, you have damage to motor skills that has to be overcome. But things like "motor skills" are merely another way of saying "your ability to control your body". Which is what the brain does: it allows whatever you really are to "inhabit" your body.

Gabby Giffords....shot in the head at close range. It didn't kill her outright, so she was able to survive on. When you see her speak, you hear tht there is a bright and intelligent person in there. She just lacks the control of her body to be able to articulate words. I have seen this exact same thing with stroke victims. One guy I knew as a kid could only say "Do!". So he repeated that same word over and over again while pointing and gesturing. He woke up one morning like that, doctors told him he'd had a stroke while sleeping.

My point is, the brain is (to use an analogy) a modem. What it connects to on the other end....i haven't a clue.

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Interesting stuff you provided there. Who would have thought it was possible to have so much performance even without half the brain.

I guess it should be a motivation for us to make better use of the other half.

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Interesting stuff you provided there. Who would have thought it was possible to have so much performance even without half the brain.

I guess it should be a motivation for us to make better use of the other half.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   
They seem to know about the birds eye view of things, but do they mention in the article anything about how protein and chemicals equal the qualia of us viewing those memories and accessing them at will?

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 07:38 AM
link   

ImaFungi
They seem to know about the birds eye view of things, but do they mention in the article anything about how protein and chemicals equal the qualia of us viewing those memories and accessing them at will?

That's the big question. We can run through thousands of memories a second when practiced, and they seem to be tied to the chemicals of emotions, or at least are accessed when running emotions. For "bringing up" happy and successful memories, which will then undercut lots of the negative ones (remember, a memory is always a retrieval in present time, so people that say "it seems like it just happened yesterday" when remembering something are actually looking at the memory as it appeared to them a moment ago), one of the best tools I've seen or heard of is L. Ron Hubbard's book "Self Analysis" (and this is not a pro-scientology statement, but a mention of a very useful book). My main teacher worked through the lists in there for hundreds of hours. I should go play with it for a few more hours myself. But the point is is that we can recall exact details about every moment in our lives, if we get good at it, and those impressions have to be stored an accessed at literally lightning speed, which is very fun to think about (and create a new memory!).

top topics

<< 1   >>

join