It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pinal County Sheriff Deputy kills Manuel Longoria while Longoria's hands are raised in the air.

page: 13
<< 10  11  12   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Xcathdra

GogoVicMorrow
reply to post by Xcathdra

Nope. In Wisconsin a body cavity search must be done by a medical professional. So had he found anything it would have been technically inadmissible.

Meaning he was just assaulting people.

Im not using my definition. That is t he LAW's definition of rape. You just twist and wriggle to get away from it when it goes against protecting cops. You wouldn't have one positive word for this guy if he wasnt a cop. You'd gladly admit it was sexual assault and rape.

Yet once again you failed to do research. You once again fail to understand the law. This also demonstrates the futility in making a blanket statement as you did.

968.255  Strip searches.

Since my posts were removed, i'll defend myself more politely as I think I should be allowed to respond and then i'm done and out. Mods, i'm responding to a post that was left intact so I presume I am not taking the thread off track anymore, regardless this is my last comment on the subject.

You said I don't know what I am talking about (while boasting you do).

I explained that in that particular area those searches could not be legally performed by police.

From the article:

Wisconsin law clearly prohibits police officers from administering cavity searches. Only medical professionals may do so, and only when authorized by a warrant.

daily caller article

Emphasis mine.
I doubt you will retract calling me names and claiming I was wrong, but I wanted to post for the record.

I suspect you just posted up the links on strip searching without reading them or you would have seen you were posting information that proved you incorrect and then added your comment about my not knowing what I am talking about.

"Wisconsin law prohibits police officers from ever being involved in body cavity searches, regardless of probable cause. This kind of abuse is delegated to professionals like doctors and nurses, according to Wisconsin Statute § 968.255 (3). And they may be only performed after a search warrant has been obtained.

Again emphasis mine.

boingboing

The parts you claim I ignored were not in fact ignored, they just didn't apply. Something you would have seen if you had read the case.
I'll excuse myself from the thread.
edit on 1-2-2014 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

Since I am not going to quote the whole post: You missed the part of the previous post by xcath where he showed you the sentencing guidelines for that crime in Wisconsin, which are across the board, not different for cops than a person, 2 years is the max on that crime..

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 06:29 AM
link   
reply to post by vkey08

You missed the part where the entire world acknowledges that the charges were insulting downplaying of the crimes.

It would be like telling everyone yiu know you were going to kill someone, outlining how you plan to do it, then waiting on them and shooting them in the head - then being charged with assault with a deadly weapon. Completely ignoring the actual crime; result, and purpose. Dozens and dozens of cases over 5 years. One victim was give a cavity search (which isn't even legal in wisconsin) 3 times in one day. He often didnt use gloves, and in some instances did the "searches" in public with a gun to the persons head.

It is stated that he did it to humiliate the victims. He also planted evidence on people.

He also found drugs in peoples pockets but wrote that he found it inside their bodies so he cou let justify continuing these searches.

Tell me.. do you really think this officer was really after drugs? It wasnt about finding drugs it as about humiliating and sexually abusing civilians.

You have to be able to see that.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 06:51 AM
link   

I am not disagreeing that he was a scuzball, and as I look further into the case there are Federal Charges stemming from this incident pending, an investigation into Civil Rights Violations and possible other criminal action is ongoing on the Federal Level which is as it should be.. He won't get away with this, it may take a whole but the Feds don't' play around with stuff like this. (i'd link but it was found using my own login in the internal system, and I'm certainly not going to give my login out online to anyone)

But that doesn't change the fact that a Grand Jury thought that's all that he was guilty of and that's how they issued the indictment.. (I had to dig a bit but I found that it was a Grand Jury and not solely a Prosecutor that handed down the indictment) the Grand Jury felt it dod not meet the definition of Rape or Sexual Assault.. as defined by Wisconsin Law, how they thought that is beyond me, but they did, and remember, a Grand Jury is just people off the street, not "good ole boys sitting in judgement" so you need to be angry with THEM, not the Prosecutors or the Jury in the trial, direct the anger where it belongs, at the Grand Jury who made the decision not to charge harsher in the first place...

That's the distinction you and nut keep missing, prosecutors, while they have a lot of power cannot charge outside of a Grand Jury for certain crimes, if the grand jury doesn't see that it's warranted, they don't, doesn't mean that civil proceedings cannot be had (and they are as I understand it) and Federal Proceedings where the definition of Civil Rights is broader and he will most likely be charged and sent to Federal Prison for a very long time...

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Zcustosmorum

reply to post by hopenotfeariswhatweneed

He was obviously not in a great state of mind, and yes he did say he would not be tAken alive, but he changed his mind quickly after he was hit with a the rubber bullets and tazed. The bullets are throwing him around and he turned raised his hands and then was shot twice in the back and killed. After the shooting took place the police went around and took the cell phones from the people watching and videoing he was driving for an hour with crowds following him in this small town. And the latest is his brother in law Guy Casey (a Pinal County Sheriff himself) who was of duty and tried to stop Longoria and was arrested for not complying with the sheriffs dept and say that Longoria tried to run him over... He was held with a 100,000.00 bond and now being kicked off and is filing a lawsuit. But when I researched it it says he was released due to a domestic dispute from 2013... This is the reason so many people don't trust, and feel that law enforcement officials are above the law and can do what they please so they are FEARED,HATED AND KILLED!!!! NO IT ISNT RT BUT SITUATIONS SUCH AS THIS ARE THE REASON WHY!!! This is a terrible thing and the trigger happy idiot of a Sheriff that was involved should be the one released HE ALONE MADE THAT SHERIFFS DEPT LOOK LIKE ROBOCOPS WITH ITCHY TRIGGER FINGERS. VERY SAD SITUATION HANDLED VERY POORLY AND UNFAIRLY SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE DONE TO Officer Rankin who with no shock was involved in a shooting just months before this, also adding the Sheriffs dept was called off and shouldn't have even been there when Longoria was stopped.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by jorbritt

Can you please link me to the information about Guy Casey.

thanks

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   

although its pretty offtopic, i gotta comment on this.

its astounding to me that a serial molester/rapist who sodomized their victims in broad daylight in front of friends and strangers alike, at gunpoint no less wasnt made to register as a sex offender. whilst at the same time, a streaker at the beach will get their life ruined because they lost a bet or something. but this guy gets to go on without that stigma, even though the crimes were much worse, especially since he was wearing a badge. because of that he gets off easy, while the punishment should be much greater as he was abusing a position of power. his victims had no recourse, they couldnt even legally fight off their rapist, they would have been killed and their deaths would have been considered "justifiable".

the whole concept of a corrupt official abusing their position to commit crimes and then cover them up, or twist it around and charge the victim, seems obviously wrong to me. the absolute worst of the worst, should get life in prison.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by snarfbot

Exactly. You are on the money. A kid streaked at a one of his highschool football game a few months back and is facing being a sex offender for life (though his classmates consider him a legend). Also a 17 year old turns 18 and still having sex with his 15/16 year old girlfriend gets statutory rape and has his life ruined.

Meanwhile this guy sexually assaults and by definition rapes dozens (maybe hundreds) of people over 5 years and doesn't get listed as a sex offender because he was a cop at the time.

And cops have the audacity to say police aren't given lighter sentences than civilians.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Keeping tabs on this thread and in line with recent replies, if there was any real justice to this flawed system, then cops who get convicted of ANY crime should get more severe punishment than a civilian. The main reason being that cops should know better

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Zcustosmorum
Keeping tabs on this thread and in line with recent replies, if there was any real justice to this flawed system, then cops who get convicted of ANY crime should get more severe punishment than a civilian. The main reason being that cops should know better

For what its worth Officers face the following -

Convicted Law Enforcement -
* Criminal Prosecution
* Jail / Prison time

* Civil Prosecution
* Loss of civil immunity / city/department not required to supply lawyer.
* PD / City can disassociate themselves from the officer for prosecution.
* Loss of civil immunity opens up all officer assets / personal property to satisfy any judgment.

*Federal Prosecution for civil rights violations

* Post License (Law enforcement Certification)
* Suspension / Loss of Certification preventing officer from ever working in Law Enforcement / Related areas in all US States / Territories / Commonwealth.
* Depending on charge / conviction officer can lose firearms and can be prevented from ever possessing a firearm.

* Only applies to Law Enforcement
* Garrity rights - Law Enforcement operates under a quasi military command structure. That means officers can be ordered to answer questions, even if those questions are asking guilt seeking questions.

Due to the nature of the job - Law Enforcement applicants are not covered under State / Federal Laws in terms of what information that can be released to other possible employers. For the most part, civilian employers are restricted to confirming that the applicant was employed / how long they were employed, what they were paid and if they are reliable or not.

Law Enforcement does not get those protections. Anything that occurs can be discussed between present and possible / future employers. They can discus disciplinary actions, command staff can give their opinions on the officer, how well they work with other officers / civilians. Disciplinary actions can be discussed and depending on type of action, those actions are also filed with the state agency that deals with law enforcement certification.

Why are Officer placed on administrative leave during investigations of officer actions?

The moment an officer is under investigation it becomes problematic to every other investigation that officer is involved in. It also becomes problematic for any possible investigation the officer might become involved in if not placed on administrative leave.

It goes beyond the present and extends into the past. Again depending on the charges, its possible that every single investigation that officer has been involved with (regardless of responsibility in that investigation) can be challenged. Defense attorneys / Prosecuting Attorneys will review all cases which can possibly open the door to all convictions being tossed out because of the officers actions.

This is one of the main reasons investigations into law enforcement actions take as long as they do. People who are not familiar have a tendency to only view the situation from one event, not realizing that one event can affect 100's / thousands of others (based on the time the officer is in law enforcement and what their primary responsibility is).

So while you guys want to maintain officers are treated differently it is simply not the case. As you can see Law Enforcement is affected in ways that don't apply to civilians.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 04:46 AM
link   

If law enforcement shoots and kills someone there is a -
* - Criminal investigation (conducted by another division / agency) (Miranda Rights)
* - Internal Affairs investigation into policy violation. (Garrity Rights)
* - Civil rights investigation. (Federal Bureau of Investigation)
* - Independent investigation (conducted by the PA's office)

If all of this works....
How did the homeless, unarmed and mentally ill man get beaten to death by a gang of cops in California.....
With no one held accountable for it?

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   

That sounds impressive in a list, but IN REALITY the are less likely to be charged, are likely to be charged with the minimum crime, and get lighter sentence for whatever lip service charge they get.

Also they lose the same if not less than the average civilian. Civilians go to jail for longer, lose their jobs, lose all chance at future career, often their family, all of their money (no groups backing civilians when they get in trouble), etc.

List all day and all night. Actions speak louder than words.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 06:16 PM
link   

butcherguy

If law enforcement shoots and kills someone there is a -
* - Criminal investigation (conducted by another division / agency) (Miranda Rights)
* - Internal Affairs investigation into policy violation. (Garrity Rights)
* - Civil rights investigation. (Federal Bureau of Investigation)
* - Independent investigation (conducted by the PA's office)

If all of this works....
How did the homeless, unarmed and mentally ill man get beaten to death by a gang of cops in California.....
With no one held accountable for it?

Because that list is just public lip service. There is a whole group of people inside the police organization and court systems laughing those things off and patting the offending officer on the back. Those things don't actually mean anything in the real world.

top topics

<< 10  11  12   >>

join