It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists have found that memories may be passed down through generations in our DNA

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Bruce Lipton have come up with some interesting ideas about whats running the Protein machine for example.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

But is it a "memory". Is a conditioned response a memory? Do the original mice remember the shock? Do the offspring? Do we remember cave bears or is it instinct that tells us that dark places are not necessarily a good place to venture into?

why would you not consider a conditional response to be a type of memory. However you cut it information regarding our psubjective experience in reality appears to be passing down to future generations.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

However you cut it information regarding our psubjective experience in reality appears to be passing down to future generations.
Interesting spelling. I like it.

I don't consider a conditioned (not conditional) response to be a memory because what is being passed on does not involve memory. The mice were stressed (shocked) and exposed to an odor at the same time. Their bodies produced stress hormones in response, as an autonomic response.

Through epigenetic markers (not actual changes to the DNA), that physical response is passed on. The autonomic response is passed on, not a memory. The offspring mice do not associate the odor with an electric shock. They do not remember the shock. Their body just kicks in with the fear hormones when they smell the flower. Sort of like how certain other autonomic responses kick in when a pretty woman walks by.

edit on 2/1/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   

On tonight, live from 10PM Eastern time!

Show thread with listening information

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I've been wondering as of late whether or not some of these vivid memories I have of my early childhood are really mine or someone else's...

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   

On tonight, live from 10PM Eastern time!

(Unfortunately, a storm kept NoRegretsEver, the topic's lead, off the previously announced show, hopefully she'll have clear skies tonight!)

Show thread with listening information
edit on 19-2-2014 by adjensen because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 09:36 PM
link   
i found a self sharpening stone skin scraper...
( verified by the head archealogist for the province at the time)

the elders say locating it was an ancestor memory

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 11:09 PM
link   
S'ed+F'ed. Excellent!!

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join