It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists have found that memories may be passed down through generations in our DNA

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

I have to think this is valuable and important research. I know anxiety runs in my wife's family.

I also think DNA also stores personality traits, likes and dislikes. There are a lot of people who get organ transplants that start craving the same food, or take on personality traits of the donors. I think the more research that is done in this area will surprise many of those in the scientific community about the amount of information that is really stored in our DNA.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   
If memory of past generations is stored "through chemical changes in DNA," it may very well be that said DNA has been tinkered with from whomever/whatever could/can do so.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by WeRpeons

I agree it is important one day it may be used as a powerful psychology tool. It makes you wonder if large companies should have the right to tinker with DNA considering how little we seem to know about it.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   

the game series assassin's creed explores this idea of humans having memories of their ancestor

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by starwarsisreal

I think it makes sense. We do not really understand how memory is stored in the body but it is an advatage to have it copied from generation to generation. It happens to our physical body why not our memories.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Information, not memories.

That's the first illogical leap.

The next would be any speculation referring to "memories".

The most that can be said from this is that epigenetic markers are shifted which favor the individuals survival based on their genetic limitations interacting with the current environmental terrain.

I don't understand why this is so hard for some people to imagine. I've intuitively understood this before knowing of the concept of epigenetics.

Think of genetics as the hardware architecture of a microprocessor, and epigenetics as the firmware which drives the hardware to perform in certain ways at a low-level. You can periodically update the firmware if the potential benefits outweigh the risks, but the hardware is set in stone barring a defect (mutation).
edit on 26-1-2014 by webedoomed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by webedoomed

Thanks for your reply. I do not get why you think it illogical to separate memories from information. If memories are stored and past down then i would have thought it would happen in terms of information.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Because they're absolutely two different things!

"memory" used in the laymen context which many are replying in this thread has nothing to do whatsoever with information as it's used in this study.

Allow me to be more specific.

This in no way points to human "memories" being stored in DNA, rather, it points to information, in this case epigenetic markers, being stored within dna. The epigenetic markers are not capable of storing all the information of a human experience, ie a memory as people would commonly (as noted in this thread) think of it.

What it may store is a collection of markers which will lead to a propensity. That propensity helps the individual to survive the next generation. Seems pretty nifty, unless the environment has shifted yet again in that generation time span. Then it could backfire.

This in no way leads to someone being able to have a memory of a previous life experience. No memories in the common way it's expressed related to the human experience. Maybe there would be a feeling. I'd think it would feel like an instinct not to touch fire, or eat a particular food.

I've always thought that "instincts" were more of a combination of what's happened throughout each lifetime before you, with the most recent getting more of an imprint than the previous. So it would depend how many same imprints came before you, to the extent that a new imprint could override the past.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Wow it sure does make you wonder. I get a lot of feelings when I go somewhere i know I've never been, And it seems familiar. Like I have been before....Then on the other hand I can never remember where I put my car keys!!!...

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   
We have all probably heard of the hundredth monkey syndrome.....Perhaps the mechanisms are part of the same process.....
Genetic memory may be where the remote viewers get their info as well......Quantum entanglement of the minds.....
assuming that everyone has this pool of knowledge available to them......
Don Juan claims something similar in his books......
The Akashic record may also be the description of this repository of info.....
Memory has been theorized to exist outside the body. and there is some evidence to this effect.....
Obviosly where there is smoke there is some flicker of fire......
The FEAR i have with this research, is that there will be a way to PROGRAM MINDS that will be developed from the research.....
After all, thats what the PTB have been searching for with all the mind kontrol research of the past....present and future....
edit on 26-1-2014 by stirling because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   

webedoomed

This in no way points to human "memories" being stored in DNA, rather, it points to information, in this case epigenetic markers, being stored within dna. The epigenetic markers are not capable of storing all the information of a human experience, ie a memory as people would commonly (as noted in this thread) think of it.

Has this been proven? Do you have sources...links? Because I disagree.

While we are discussing what IS possible within the human brain....can you tell me why so called "idiot savant" (hate that term!) people cannot communicate with family members, but can sit down at a piano and play a concerto that they never were taught?

I believe that there is a LOT about the human brain AND body that we still don't know, haven't figured out...and that is why we are discussing 'theories'.

jacygirl

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by stirling

Hey stirling!
Did you ever consider that the Akashic Records are actually all stored within our own brains? That we do indeed possess ALL knowledge...but because we can only access a small portion of our brain (tiny, really)....we aren't even aware of this?
Just a theory!

Wouldn't it be interesting to find out that people labelled 'autistic', or 'idiot savant'...etc. are tapping into a slightly different portion of the brain than the rest of us?

Argh! If only I could know everything that I don't know....(lol)
jacygirl

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Starwise

My youngest daughter was terrified of trains ever since she could voice her opinion about them, even the sound of a whistle, she still is to this day, her great-grand father and uncle were killed by a train before she was born, her grandfather survived.

cool topic

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   
really cool topic..

however i don't think fear of heights is irrational...fearing a fall from a substantial height is a perfectly rational thing to be afraid of...

Fear of the dark is extremely interesting, i have always thought that fear specifically could be a remnant from a past memory...

Just like my Buddy JacyGirl i prefer this theory to actual past lives because repeating the cycle of life and death over and over again is extremely inefficient not to mention Tedious

Finally My greatest fear is dying alone, i have no idea why... i enjoy solitude but the thought of being completely alone when death comes is terrifying to me perhaps this is a remnant from a genetic memory because i have no other rational explanation for it

S+F

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Ph03n1x
really cool topic..

however i don't think fear of heights is irrational...fearing a fall from a substantial height is a perfectly rational thing to be afraid of...

Fear of the dark is extremely interesting, i have always thought that fear specifically could be a remnant from a past memory...

Just like my Buddy JacyGirl i prefer this theory to actual past lives because repeating the cycle of life and death over and over again is extremely inefficient not to mention Tedious

Finally My greatest fear is dying alone, i have no idea why... i enjoy solitude but the thought of being completely alone when death comes is terrifying to me perhaps this is a remnant from a genetic memory because i have no other rational explanation for it

S+F

*Running up to give Ph03n1x a big cyber-hug* (Heyyyy!!! Nice to see you, I thought you were gone!)

I think a lot of people have posted some pretty interesting stuff so far on this topic! Children knowing things they haven't been told/taught? Transplant recipients who become like their donors (food cravings, etc.)?

I don't like the idea of coming back again and again....I'd really prefer to think that there is another explanation, lol.

jacygirl

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   
This has always been one of my favorite topics!
Genetic memory or DNA imprinting or something else we don't understand certainly seems a possibility.
Some people have had vivid, detailed memories of past lives that have been verified as factual.
Just because we don't understand how the phenomenon works doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Great thread! S&F

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I always thought blood memories were common knowledge? Guess i was wrong.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Viking9019

Hey Viking9019!
Blood memories? I have never heard that term before.
Tell us what you know! Please? I'm seriously interested!

jacygirl

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by jacygirl

***Blushes*** I'm never far away, just been lurking mostly this month

I have heard a few stories of children usually very young describing events that they have never been a part of... life is such a mysterious thing....

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Ph03n1x

Well I'm glad you're here! (check your mail, lol)
I'm shamelessly bumping this thread, because I'm truly interested....I hope it gets BIG!

jacygirl

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join