It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists have found that memories may be passed down through generations in our DNA

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   

jacygirl

Has this been proven? Do you have sources...links? Because I disagree.

What do you disagree with, specifically? What's happening in this thread is assumptions out of ignorance, and misapplications of terms from one context to another.

While we are discussing what IS possible within the human brain....can you tell me why so called "idiot savant" (hate that term!) people cannot communicate with family members, but can sit down at a piano and play a concerto that they never were taught?

Yes. I can. Savants usually have brain damage that can be linked to a specific event in their development. The brain has rewired to cross two brain regions which otherwise would remain separate. One way this may manifest is synaesthasia. Another way involves low-order memory between visual, and auditory processing networks.

So someone may not be "taught", they may self learn. This from hearing it before, maybe not even consciously processing it, but storing it all the same. From the notes, an order can be ascertained. It's a low level linking from the sound, to the mathematics involved, translated to the playing it with perfection.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by webedoomed

Okay.
*ouch*
*feeling rather....inadequate....*

But I still don't believe that we are discussing 'assumptions out of ignorance'. I think we are discussing a theory (or theories).

Perhaps none of us involved in this thread are properly educated in this particular field of study. But we are obviously interested, asking questions....and sharing notes.
So I would still like to hear from the others out there....if that's okay with you?

jacygirl

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Viking9019
I always thought blood memories were common knowledge? Guess i was wrong.

blood memoirs, never heard of that.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   

edit on 26-1-2014 by rockoperawriter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   

stirling
We have all probably heard of the hundredth monkey syndrome.....Perhaps the mechanisms are part of the same process.....
Genetic memory may be where the remote viewers get their info as well......Quantum entanglement of the minds.....
assuming that everyone has this pool of knowledge available to them......
Don Juan claims something similar in his books......
The Akashic record may also be the description of this repository of info.....
Memory has been theorized to exist outside the body. and there is some evidence to this effect.....
Obviosly where there is smoke there is some flicker of fire......

Some theorists feel that our brain doesn't contain all this stuff, like memories and even consciousness itself, but tunes into it like a receiver...

Could DNA changes might simply change or expand this receiving capability to be able to access more of it. Then all the memories, learnings, even phobias can felt without having to have them all coded into each brain. Then things like best ways to access food or stay safe etc. could be past down to other people not even related.
A genetic ability to access information that is "out there", but not the information itself, which would take alot of space or coding.

This would be a very efficient way to develop a species of insects to humans, that doesn't require each to carry all the info they need to survive in their relatively small bodies/brains, but allow access to the information by developing the tuning needed to contribute to and access the main body of it.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Then it's similar to how ingrained habits work by nature in creatures and humans. The memories may come off as Déjà vu feelings or that of someone claiming a past life, " I was grandpa. A war hero pilot in my past life." Not to say all past life claims are that, I've studied a few that could link the person in the "past life" to places they have knowledge of that they have never been, nor have relatives from.
Speaking of Déjà vu the article seems like it was shared before with a different source(no offense). Fascinating nonetheless and can't wait for more information on the subject.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamingawake

I do find some of the accounts interesting.

What mechanism would you propose could account for this information being transferred down transgenerationally, yet the "memories" are not linked genetically? As in, it wasn't their family.

How would this happen from what is mentioned in the OP's link?

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   

webedoomed
reply to post by dreamingawake

I do find some of the accounts interesting.

What mechanism would you propose could account for this information being transferred down transgenerationally, yet the "memories" are not linked genetically? As in, it wasn't their family.

How would this happen from what is mentioned in the OP's link?

It would not happen. I just added that in to say I believe , as the opinion part of my post, in "past lives" rather than every "memory" must be genetic as mentioned in the OP article.
edit on 26-1-2014 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Whilst this is great research, the altering of genetic code to mean a baby finds a certain stimulus to be a threat isn't really a memory. The passing down of specific episodic memories through the genome (as would be the case in people reliving past lives) is completely different and would assume that each memory has it's own gene.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

I expected this. But still it leaves a very bad taste in my mouth that wont go away anytime soon. Imagine the # your ancestors might have done in their life that will be in your DNA? This could potentially explain some crazy behaviours, habits, desires, fears.. and you thought you were unique? Ha!
edit on 26-1-2014 by _damon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by _damon

It does put it in a different perspective. It changes what it means to be a human. I guess maybe one day they will find similar mechanisms in plants too.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   
I have always theorized that the apparitions witnessed in sleep paralysis are genetic memories passed down
from our distant ape ancestors of big cat attacks.

These sleep paralysis experiences usually go something like this

(1) First the person becomes aware that there is a presence nearby
(2) A dark figure appears in the peripheral vision
(3) The figure then pounces upon the person at high speed right up to their face
(4) The figures eyes are intently staring almost into the persons soul
(6) Often the figure is described as having wispy facial hair and a wide brimmed hat

If you take these common descriptions and apply them to a night time big cat attack on one of our hominid ancestors it goes something like this

(1) first the ape person becomes aware that some creature is creeping up in the darkness
(2) The ape person then catches a glimpse of something lurking in the shadows
(3) The cat then pounces out to attack possibly towards the head in order to suffocate and silence its victim
(4) During the attack the ape man would terrified of the cats intently staring eyes as it attacked
(6) the outline with the wide brimmed hat could resemble a cats flattered and alert ears and the wispy facial hair could be the cats whiskers face forward when snarling.

For millions of years this kind of night time attack would be what our ancestors feared above all else and no doubt that terror has been passed down genetically in some way. These sleep paralysis events are notable for the dreaded fear of being attacked by shadowy entitles in the night and that is exactly what a big cat attack would be like for an ape in its nest.

I think the personification of the attacker such as the old hag entity are just subconscious interpretations probably influenced by more modern tales of vampires and withes but the night terrors were originally born out of the very real threats we faced every night for millennia.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 01:12 AM
link   

iRoyalty

It would definitely be a good step in understanding how insects and animals know exactly what they're doing without being taught it.

What they have discovered is how the instinct of the animal kingdom works and US Humans too ...

this is some of what Gurus have been saying all along ! and this my friend Will Open a lot of cans of Worms! I think It will get interesting for sure !! Time to break those Old isolation tanks !! in university's !

Lets Tap into those DNA Memories! (((( Altered States ))))

Isolation tank
en.wikipedia.org...

Sensory deprivation
en.wikipedia.org...

Altered state of consciousness
en.wikipedia.org...

Altered States
en.wikipedia.org...

Well Generally Speaking of that there saying according to a Mouse passing to its generations of what it had ! liked hated feared! ???

just maybe its true ... I don't like it or I love it or Im fascinated about it and i don't know why kinda of thing.

like for Example family of generations of Music ! or distastes of food like a Onion ! Sea Food ! but cant explain why!

I would Like to think so.. tho it could Lead to a Permanent tragic Effect ...

Its in my Blood ! a Hunter Says ! a Fighter says!! A warrior says!! it may indeed be !! if this is the Case!

another interesting fact is Science has discovered that water holds memories too! ...

And dont forget Scientist have Found a Second layer of information ! in our DNA !!

Scientists discover double meaning in genetic code
Stephanie Seiler

UW Health Sciences & UW Medicine

www.washington.edu...

Scientists discover double meaning in genetic code
page: 1
www.abovetopsecret.com...

DNA discovery illustrates creation’s complexity
Science
By Jesse Yow
Posted Jan. 7, 2014, 02:30 p.m.

Researchers have found a second layer of information embedded in DNA, refueling a debate between proponents of Darwinism and intelligent design.

www.worldmag.com...

edit on 27-1-2014 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Anyone got an Animus?

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Really does sound like something out of the "Assasins Creed" franchise! Is "Abstergo" industries at it for real??

Would be a really cool idea to unlock those memories....

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 07:34 AM
link   

jacygirl

Hi purplemer,
This topic is very interesting to me. I read a theory that memories (from ancestors) may be stored in our DNA, and the theory is that this is what is really happening, rather than 'past life' memories (reincarnation).
Perhaps I like this idea because I don't want to believe that I have to keep coming back over and over again...? (lol)

I'm looking forward to seeing what others have to say.
S&F
jacygirl

Glad you were taking notice jacygirl!

(been saying it for years, and hardly anybody gave me the time of day)

Here's a link to a post i made last week.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 27-1-2014 by MysterX because: added info

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Could be the reason for inherited dispositions LOL I have a temper like my mom
however can be equally as passionate. Since my dad raised me and not my mom, not environmental.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   

This idiot of a reporter clearly does not understand the difference between genetics and epigenetics. The inheritance described here is epigenetic - nowhere does it say that DNA is modified.

From your source:

“These types of results are encouraging as they suggest that transgenerational inheritance exists and is mediated by epigenetics...”

The Original Research

...Bisulfite sequencing of sperm DNA from conditioned F0 males and F1 naive offspring revealed CpG hypomethylation in the Olfr151 gene. In addition, in vitro fertilization, F2 inheritance and cross-fostering revealed that these transgenerational effects are inherited via parental gametes. Our findings provide a framework for addressing how environmental information may be inherited transgenerationally at behavioral, neuroanatomical and epigenetic levels.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I wonder if any of my grandchildren, someday, will remember this post on ATS?

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Very Interesting! The whole premise of the Assasin's Creed game series is based on this same way of thinking, but goes a step further. In the game you actually relive past memories your ancestors to relive specific events in history in a search for the "pieces of Eden" by means of a device called the Animus. I've always loved the concept, and wondered if it could be possible. Maybe some day, it will be!

Thanks for the post!

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join