It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huffington Post says 47% Of All Jobs Will Be Automated By 2034

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   
www.huffingtonpost.co.uk...

Almost half of all jobs could be automated by computers within two decades and "no government is prepared" for the tsunami of social change that will follow, according to the Economist.

The magazine's 2014 analysis of the impact of technology paints a pretty bleak picture of the future.

OK who will be able to buy anything if you are one of the 47% that are replaced; Oooops how many does the USA have on food stamps and government assistance ? Check I guess they got that covered already... Continue reading

That report too pointed out the change will affect jobs of all kinds - from a Chinese factory Hon Hai which has announced plans to replace 500,000 workers with robots in three years, to lawyers, surgeons and public sector workers.

Looks like there will be no place to hide.... prepare to be simulated, resistance is futile, or something like that?

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

I guess the job to have is someone who fixes the robots!

*coin!*

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Prepare to be assimilated, resistance is futile

I feel you there. Kind of scary isn't it.
Not enough good jobs as it is.

Looks like Amazon warehouse with is mostly automated processing is the future.

There will be need for mechanics for a while.
Till robots fix them selves.

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   

beezzer
reply to post by 727Sky

*coin!*

Nah! Robots will do that to

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Mianeye

beezzer
reply to post by 727Sky

*coin!*

But who fixes THOSE robots?

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 06:00 PM
link   

beezzer

Mianeye

beezzer
reply to post by 727Sky

*coin!*

I think you and i could have a really long disscusion if i answered that

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Moar robots please. Faster better stronger.

Then i can upload myself into the robot matrix.

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

People still need doctors and engineers to keep society running, and that requires human capital.

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I could also handle nanobots in my system.

Effecting repairs, and connecting more synapses.

Yay the future.

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

More robots.

I was told when recently in college to make sure that I select a job that a computer cannot do. My 11 year old was told just this year, after the teacher asked them all what they wanted to be when they grew up, that none of those jobs would exist by the time they reached the age to work them because of automation. We're going to be confronting a serious job black hole as automation becomes more and more prevalent and cheaper than its human counterparts. As an accountant, I'd say the blame rests resoundingly on how we do cost accounting where accountants essentially have to estimate the maximum level of efficiency in productivity and monetarily associate those costs with a specific product. We mere humans tend to fail those numbers because we can't maintain it but those robots sure can. My capstone paper was actually on this very subject and I got an A+ for being brutally freaking honest. Go figure.

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 06:10 PM
link   
you know why this scares a lot of people? because they have no sense of identity or purpose outside of their job. they've never had or taken the time to connect with their true self and therefore don't even know who they really are. they can't really conceive of anything outside of their compartmental routine within the system.

when this 'new' world really starts to take shape, they will either evolve and adapt, or they will go crazy.
edit on 19-1-2014 by Qi Maker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   
We have to call Sarah conner before it's to late. ...

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Every human has something unique to offer this world. Find your Dahrma and you will find a way to coexist with the cognitive computing jobs of the future. Humans are generally self repairing if not destructive to their environment. There may come a time where another form of intelligence may choose to regulate us. I choose to see a future where co-existence of many and other species will evolve to balance instead of the imbalance state that currently exists.

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Qi Maker

I disagree. I think that the concept of having a job equaling having a roof over one's head, being able to feed and clothe oneself and one's dependent loved ones and providing even at a basic level outside of all the fancy bells and whistles are something that just about everybody can comprehend and fearing the obsolescence of 47% of previously human filled jobs is pretty darn rational. If your job becomes obsolete, then what will you do? How will you feed, shelter and clothe yourself, let alone your loved ones? And as the number of jobs decline to that 47%, what then? People absolutely should fear it and not because they define themselves by their jobs. They need to fear it because they need to make sure that they or their children are going to be able to work as to provide themselves with their basic needs.

Are we all going to become hair dressers because that's one of the very few jobs where automation probably won't work (pretty terrifying to imagine a robot in charge of your do). Ironic really that automation could drive us to become a bunch of monkeys sitting around and grooming each others' hair again.

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   

beezzer
reply to post by 727Sky

*coin!*

On many aircraft today the onboard computer does a diagnostic and then the mechanic just replaces a box which goes to tech support for an actual fix. With the future robots unless it is a hardware fix it will be black boxes in and black boxes out.. Hardware if the robots are mobile and in a factory setting would probably move to a robotic work station where worn or non functioning parts would be replaced... By other robots if the whole process and design are thought through.. I doubt there time frame is accurate but we are already seeing warehouses where everything is basically automated.

Foxconn to Replace Half a Million Employees with Robots

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   

WhiteAlice
reply to post by Qi Maker

I disagree. I think that the concept of having a job equaling having a roof over one's head, being able to feed and clothe oneself and one's dependent loved ones and providing even at a basic level outside of all the fancy bells and whistles are something that just about everybody can comprehend and fearing the obsolescence of 47% of previously human filled jobs is pretty darn rational. If your job becomes obsolete, then what will you do? How will you feed, shelter and clothe yourself, let alone your loved ones? And as the number of jobs decline to that 47%, what then? People absolutely should fear it and not because they define themselves by their jobs. They need to fear it because they need to make sure that they or their children are going to be able to work as to provide themselves with their basic needs.

Are we all going to become hair dressers because that's one of the very few jobs where automation probably won't work (pretty terrifying to imagine a robot in charge of your do). Ironic really that automation could drive us to become a bunch of monkeys sitting around and grooming each others' hair again.

the idea is that we should reach the point where basic needs are met through the development of sustainable systems. food, shelter, and clothing would be natural rights.

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   

beezzer

Mianeye

beezzer
reply to post by 727Sky

*coin!*

They fix each other!
I remember this being a big discussion back when Isaac Asimov was first writing about robots, that they would begin to replace jobs - then for around 30 years it looked like the jobs would just shift around to different ones -
edit on 19pmSun, 19 Jan 2014 18:27:39 -0600kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

The UN is already one step ahead of the changes with Agenda21 where they will take care of population control, resource management and and sustainable developments.

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by WhiteAlice

Are we all going to become hair dressers because that's one of the very few jobs where automation probably won't work

To late, allready invented, or sort of, it still can't cut your hair, but it propably won't be long before they make one that can.

Panasonic unveils first robotic hairdresser

Damn! it's creepy

edit on 19-1-2014 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-1-2014 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 06:30 PM
link   
So does this mean the field to train for is being the guy who designs the robots?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join