It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huffington Post says 47% Of All Jobs Will Be Automated By 2034

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   
www.telegraph.co.uk...

The US Army is considering replacing thousands of soldiers with robots as it deals with sweeping troop cuts.

A senior American officer has said he is considering shrinking the size of the Army’s brigade combat teams by a quarter and replacing the lost troops with robots and remote-controlled vehicles.

The American military is still far from fielding armies of Terminator-type robotic killers though.

Ideas under discussion instead include proposals to see manned lorries and transporters replaced by supply trains of robots vehicles.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

As with any modular-robot system, the hope is that the cubes can be miniaturised, according to the researchers. The ultimate aim is to create hordes of swarming microbots that can self-assemble, like the “liquid steel” androids in the film “Terminator II.”

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   

On tonight, live from 10PM Eastern time!

Show thread with listening information

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

The problem is technology. They may want robotic soldiers but the technology is not yet there.

Humans are very smart and versatile. In the unpredictable battlefield, human still has better chances.

However soldiers are only a small percentage of world's workforce.

The news is not good for a very large share of population.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   

soficrow
reply to post by 727Sky

When I was in school in the 1950's and 60's we were told no one would have to work in the future - that everything would be done by robots - and we would spend our time creating, making art, learning and helping others.

Guess part of the pitch was true.

Robotics and AI are essentially the same lie rehashed for a 21st century audience. I think its funny when regular people get excited about future tech, the Singularity, Robitics, etc. Do people really think when these thing finally become real, functioning and working designs, applicable to industry, that we the "peons" will all get a Data from Start Trek or a C-3PO from Star Wars to help us at home, at the job site or in the office?

In reality we are going to get a David 8 from Prometheus/Aliens or the Robot Probation officer seen in Elysium. They are going to take away jobs and make unethical policing/enforcing both easier and cheaper. They won't be paying a salary to the robot worker, so the savings can go into legal fees, resulting in an overall savings for the corporations/governments and a loss of liberty for everyone else. Who do you sue or goes to jail when a robot pulls your arm out of the socket, will it be considered "negligence by the human", etc, in court? I personally at this point are willing to live with 1980's +/- era tech, if it means I am more free and can earn money to live on.

David 8:
www.weylandindustries.com...

Elysium Probation Officer:
fourthdimensionalrecovery.files.wordpress.com...

In the words of David 8 “I can do almost anything that could possibly be asked of me, including things that my human counterparts might find distressing or unethical”

Sounds swell, don't it!
edit on 23-1-2014 by boohoo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by boohoo

Great video on the DARPA challenge and some interesting developments

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join