It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wisconsin GOP Reject God's Suggestion We Rest on 7th Day

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Oh this was just too priceless to pass up. Ya gots to luv these guys (or -- nope).

www.commondreams.org...

Now that Koch Bros. stand-in Scott Walker's anti-labor policies have successfully tanked Wisconsin's economy - it ranks 49th, with wages falling at twice the national rate and job creation plummeting from 11th to 44th place - his GOP colleagues have come up with yet another ingenious idea. Reportedly at the urging of the state's largest business group, Sen. Glenn Grothman, who has earlier proposed easing child labor laws and eliminating Martin Luther King Day, wants to amend state law to offer workers a "voluntary" seven-day work week

Oh - I see the voluntary part makes it all right and proper. Company's can volunteer their employees, who does this volunteering? Oh isn't this fun.

current Wisconsin law requires employers to give workers at least 24 hours off every seven days, a requirement Grothman calls "goofy," adding that he doesn't know why Democrats or anyone else would oppose a win-win idea that's a matter of "freedom."

Another great union busting idea from the great state of Wisconsin (sorry Wisconsinines, Wisconsiners)

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 08:29 PM
link   
No buisness volunteer employees, you show up or get fired

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 08:38 PM
link   
< So the "abuse" by employers *really* isn't in the proposal >

It's just supposition from opposing views.

And maybe some could use the overtime pay since many don't even have full time jobs anymore.

Burning assumptions indeed.

oops added;

The measure's authors, Sen. Glenn Grothman of West Bend and Mark Born of Beaver Dam, say the bill brings Wisconsin in line with federal law, gives workers a way to make extra money and employers a way to boost production. But Democrats and labor leaders insisted bosses would use the bill to force their employees to work longer and effectively erase the weekend.

edit on Jan-14-2014 by xuenchen because:

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

The measure's authors, Sen. Glenn Grothman of West Bend and Mark Born of Beaver Dam, say the bill brings Wisconsin in line with federal law, gives workers a way to make extra money and employers a way to boost production. But Democrats and labor leaders insisted bosses would use the bill to force their employees to work longer and effectively erase the weekend.

And that is exactly what it will be used for to make the workers more of a slave to the company. Oh you don't want to "volunteer" to work 7 days a week like a good slave well then we don't need you anymore. And they also want to ease child labor laws? What kind of sicko wants to make children work? Does this sicko make his family work 7 days a week. But then again they aren't commoners like the working class.

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

where does anything say it will be forced?

there may be laws against that?

or are you suggesting we re-define the definition of voluntary?

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Hm, yes. Voluntarily working 7 days a week or most likely getting fired seems like a great choice indeed. And child labor? Seriously? I bet they would love to make it like the good old days were each and every family member has to work 18 hours every day on minimum wage or the whole family starves.

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 09:13 PM
link   

xuenchen

where does anything say it will be forced?

there may be laws against that?

or are you suggesting we re-define the definition of voluntary?

Don't work in the real world huh? I have seen many companies pull this crap. If you don't volunteer when they want you to when it comes time to lay off people take a wild guess who is the first to go.

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 09:16 PM
link   

There can´t be much laws against at.

Those who dont "volunteer" simply get laid off due to some other reason, and those who are willing to "volunteer" get to have their jobs.

It is similar to overtime in many companies, which is also considered "voluntary" on paper. If you are not willing to put in the extra hours, sooner or later some reason is found to sack you and you are replaced with someone who is willing to put in such hours.

In personal opinion, I doubt such thing would add any productivity. Working 7 days a week without getting enough rest, will sooner or later start affecting one´s health and the productivity will go down. Long-term benefits of not doing it seriously outweigh the short-term material gain.

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Don't work in the real world huh? I have seen many companies pull this crap. If you don't volunteer when they want you to when it comes time to lay off people take a wild guess who is the first to go.

Got any genuine examples?

or is it just more wild assumptions.

if the 7 days thing was so bad, why didn't the Democrats end this at the Federal level when they had the chance?

besides, people might need the overtime to help pay for their doctor deductibles.

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Have you seen Rollerball with James Caan?
It's a future republican utopia.

link   
There is evidence to suggest that working less can actually boost productivity. A happy workforce is a productive workforce.

link   
reply to post by FyreByrd

Um...we're Wisconsinites, though many of us prefer Cheeseheads.

And you get this tidbit from a Progressive site? No bias there, eh?

The same progressives that Walker not only soundly defeated during his recall election, but decisively trounced them as well garnering more votes then when he was first elected. I guess he learned his place didn't he?

This should be in the humor file.

edit on 14-1-2014 by TDawgRex because: Spelling

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Sirrurg

Hm, yes. Voluntarily working 7 days a week or most likely getting fired seems like a great choice indeed. And child labor? Seriously? I bet they would love to make it like the good old days were each and every family member has to work 18 hours every day on minimum wage or the whole family starves.

What child labor law changes are they proposing?

is an 18 hour workday change being suggested?

plus that, the main GOP isn't really endorsing this are they?

And the way Obama is going, the 18 hours at minimum wage might become the norm sooner than you think !!

edit on Jan-14-2014 by xuenchen because:

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

Those who dont "volunteer" simply get laid off due to some other reason, and those who are willing to "volunteer" get to have their jobs.

Alarming indeed.

Got any examples?

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Oh Wait !!

I just figured out **WHY** some people are against this.

It could cut down on unemployment and food stamps and the like.

I see now.

My bad.

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Vipassana
There is evidence to suggest that working less can actually boost productivity. A happy workforce is a productive workforce.

Interesting.

It might be true in some cases.

Got any links to studies?

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Normally I like your posts. But what do you have against child labor? I started mowing lawns and shoveling driveways at the age of eight. By ten, I was driving a tractor in the fields. By 14 I was riding my bike 15 miles each way to work at a summer camp in their kitchen. By sixteen I was head of Produce at our local grocery store and working second shift at the local airport, both running the radio and fueling (small airport, I WAS 2d shift...LOL) and by the time I was eighteen I was well versed in the use of high explosives, bridge classification, most personal weapons both NATO and Warsaw Pact and was patrolling the Czech border.

A little hard work never hurt anybody. (unless your shirt gets caught in a PTO shaft, but then you're dead for the most part, not really hurt)

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Personally no, although I have several friends having suffered from such behaviour as well as seen my previous companies doing it. I have only worked in 3 companies ever though, so 2/3. Usually such "volunteering" is expected from lower-level employees, the ones who are easily replaceable, never worked at such position though. They earn less, as well as their schedules are far more fixed, which lessens the productivity immensely in my eyes. One needs to rest well in order to stay healthy and productive.

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

I've always looked at being asked to do overtime as a way the company thought I had potential. And in my case I was right. (My Dad taught me that). I've never sat to long at one position in any company and have always moved up.

I also never quit any company until I had another job lined up. No hard feelings right? I just couldn't see myself moving any further.

Most people just don't have that work ethic much anymore these days.

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by FyreByrd

I am consistently astounded by people who work to keep those screwing them in power! Weekends are not a luxury!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join