It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boss selling restaurant to save employee with brain tumor

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 08:28 PM
link   
When I first read this, I was blown away by the generosity and thoughtfulness of this owner to sell his business, which he's had for 17 years, to help out this young lady who doesn't have insurance.
And she has not been able to have tests done to see if the brain tumor is malignant or not

MONTGOMERY, TEXAS

The 19-year-old employee doesn't look or sound sick, but she is -- and everyone at the authentic German restaurant knows it.

It started with a rash on her leg.

"I went to the hospital and found out it was my blood clotting," Mathis told us. "So, they wanted to keep me and do CAT scans and MRIs and the next day they came in and told me I had a tumor."

Mathis doesn't have insurance and hasn't yet signed up for Affordable Healthcare. The medical bills are piling up and she can't even afford to find out if the tumor is benign or malignant

That's where her boss comes in.

"I just can't be standing by and doing nothing," said Kaiserhof owner Michael De Beyer. "I have to try something because it's not right.".

www.khou.com...

Michael De Beyer, the owner of the restaurant, also employs her Mother and sister, said they never asked for help or any kind of handout, but that he wanted to do this to because it's the right thing to do

In 2000, Brittany's dad John Mathis, had a brain tumor that no one knew about. When it ruptured, it was unexpected and fatal.

The owner said that not only would he be helping the Mathis family out but he would also be able to spend more time with his family

My thoughts and prayers go out to this young lady and her family
And kudos to Mr. Michael De Beyer

We need more caring people like you in this world

edit on 8-1-2014 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

It's nice to know there are still good people out there who care. It makes one able to hold onto faith and believe in goodness. Thanks for sharing this storing. Our time here is really so small in the grand scheme of things and I'd like to think I could make a difference like that in someone's life, if even for a minute, or five, or a few months.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Put her on a plane to the UK and find her somewhere to stay for a few months before the new health tourist laws come in.
That dude is a ruddy good fella I hope the coverage this gets makes some money so he doesn't have to sell up.
He deserves a gold medal.
S&F

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Put her on a plane to the UK and find her somewhere to stay for a few months before the new health tourist laws come in.
That dude is a ruddy good fella I hope the coverage this gets makes some money so he doesn't have to sell up.
He deserves a gold medal.
S&F

Wonder if they've thought about posting on social media some kind of fund to help raise money for her medical expenses?
Might be worth a try

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 08:50 PM
link   
No good deed goes unpunished. But props to the owner who ignored this....

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 08:54 PM
link   

snarky412
Wonder if they've thought about posting on social media some kind of fund to help raise money for her medical expenses?
Might be worth a try

Well, you'd think in a civilised country, and being as its now 2014, a person would automatically receive decent health care without money even being considered!
This planet is a disgrace, its no bl**dy wonder the aliens dont land.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Good idea I ain't got much but I would give what I can.
Oh and Voidhawk here is a great quote.

The collective principle asserts that... no society can legitimately call itself civilised if a sick person is denied medical aid because of lack of means.
—Aneurin Bevan, In Place of Fear, p100

Source wiki.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 09:07 PM
link   
What a capitalist country it is, when a man has to sell his business to raise funds to get someone healthcare. Who cares about business, when you got medicines!

Medicine business for all!

wait…

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Nice thread as always Snarky. S&F as I am always lifted by reading of the generosity that seems almost dead.... alive and well after all.

It is sad that in a first world country anybody has to actually consider doing something like this to help a fellow human being. I also can't believe that because of (lack of the almighty dollar) nobody could/would volunteer to at least try and find out if this tumor was malignant or not. Imagine not even knowing how severely sick you were because you didn't have enough money.

IT IS AN UTTER DISGRACE to have the technology and know how to do the things we are medically capable of AND THEN WITHHOLD that technology and know how from ANYBODY.

I am glad people are still willing to help others because it damn sure seems like more of us are going to be needing it judging from things like this.

Some things just aren't right and this is one of them IMO.
edit on 1/8/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Wow....

this is one of those situations where people need to send money / assistance. Its unselfish people like this boss who restores faith in humanity.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Wow....

this is one of those situations where people need to send money / assistance. Its unselfish people like this boss who restores faith in humanity.

Amen to that !!

I'm like boymonkey, I would donate what I could if there was a fund set up for her

edit on 8-1-2014 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Nice to see good people with hearts of gold still around. The last place I worked I commuted 60 miles to work and 60 miles back home until I had car problems, to which the business owner said : Can't you just buy a new car?" I said sure, I'll just sell everything else I own so I can pay you to make a nice profit for yourself, will that work?

This generous restaurant owner is probably one in ten thousand business owners..

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I hate to be this guy...

He was already going to sell the business (he's been trying). It makes no sense for him to sell the business when he could just pay her health insurance costs (or at least I thought they couldn't slap you with pre-existing condition stuff anymore). Why didn't she have insurance in the first place? Obviously medical expenses get out of hand, even with insurance, and it's wonderful he's willing to help but it's not the altruistic story the media is selling. No mention of how much he's covering, what the expenses are to date, etc.

Frankly the thing smells like a sob story to get attention for the restaurants going up for sale.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

There is a loophole in the law when it comes to preexisting conditions. Not sure what the company insurance was like, but it may not have covered her ailment.

If you are unemployed / fired / etc and you go 60 days without insurance, and then you get hired in somewhere else, any medical issues prior to employment can be refused by the new insurance company. I know this because it happened to me. Secondly Obamacare has minimum income requirements for the federal plans. If your state is one who opted out of the federal exchange and they declined to increase medicare under Obamacare, they can refuse you insurance (again, happened to me).

So while this owner may have already planned to sell his business, he was under no obligation to use that money for this persons expenses. I still say he is worth of assistance, as is the patient / patients family..

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 10:53 PM
link   

FlySolo
No good deed goes unpunished. But props to the owner who ignored this....

There was another thread tonight asking what have you learned from life. This is one of the whoppers for me.

Ex: Tried to help what seemed a lost dog out of the rain tonight. Let it come in my garage for a while. Friendly as heck that dog. Well it wasn't too long before my cat came across the lawn and this dog took off like he was OJ Simpson running away from Michelle (ok I know that simile was on bad taste and likely false). Cat was forced to run up a tree. I corralled the dog (still very nice to me...never barked at me or the cat) and he entered my car willingly. I then turn back to my cat who I see try to jump on my roof from the tree, he misses and crashes down on the window ledge sideways. I'm pretty sure he is hurt badly and I try to find him with no success. Meanwhile I have this dog in my car who I can no longer shelter til morning. I drive about two blocks away and let it out and drive off. Do an hour long search for the cat with no success...I'm really bummed at this point. Then suddenly the cat shows up, a bit spooked but thankfully completely uninjured. I then return to another good deed that I was leaving for when I came across the dog. And ta da, there is a family walking this same dog on a leash. maybe I should have learned to just mind my own business.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I don't mean to sound glib, but what's wrong with obamakare?

"She hasn't yet signed up for the affordable health care act...."

Well then sign up. Isn't that what everyone worked so hard for?

Oh, I would give...

It's the right thing to do....

Except that it just doesn't make sense.

Everyone just sell off their life's work for hospital bills when an employee is ill, when obama has provided a sanctuary for this very thing?

Color me ambivalent.

# 113
edit on 8-1-2014 by TheWhiteKnight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 11:40 PM
link   
So... a man has to sell his business just to cover the costs of treating a tumor. Unless they do surgery and attempt to cut it out they will probably just give her chemotherapy and end up killing her anyway. Then we will have one less business and one less person on this earth and it will have all been for nothing. I truly hope that is not what happens.
edit on 8/1/2014 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWhiteKnight

I think you might have been using sarcasm, but...
That sanctuary obamacare was touted to be was, and is a FRAUD. Everything under the hope and change moniker is just a scam to hide totalitarian goals. obamacare was designed to ENSLAVE, not heal.
edit on 8-1-2014 by alienreality because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-1-2014 by alienreality because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

There might be more to the picture than we can see.

Anything other than knee jerk praise for this story will be interpreted as evil, basically.

Who knows what the true assets are, of the entrepreneur etc....

But it is a great story.

It gives a stage for everyone to talk about how generous they are. Or would be.

People get sick everywhere, all the time.

That's why we passed the bill, to see what's in it!

# 114

edit on 8-1-2014 by TheWhiteKnight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Ummmm... why doesn't this guy just provide insurance for his employees if he's so generous? Or just sign her up for insurance.. donating some cash isn't going to go very far if she doesn't have insurance. What a weird story.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join