It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What will be the outcome for the 4 people who take the one way trip to mars?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   
My first thought is that anybody applying to go has to have a screw loose somewhere. Odds are they are going to die in a spaceship in the cold dark void of space.

I wonder if they test these applicants like astronauts are? because I guarantee some guy is thinking nookie for sure or life in prison for killing somebody, I'll go to mars and one guy dies right after takeoff and 2 female sex slaves for the rest of his life.

That really is the dark side of my mind speaking. Pretty sure I read some sort of life pods would be sent up first. Realistically they could sustain themselves for a short time and have hope food was being delivered while we research a return flight.

I would still want the girls to be pretty if I went.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   
With the mars one project their intended plan is to send an additional group of four every four years, with new supplies and equipment and housing, for the second group of four two years after the first group arrives to supervise the construction of the habitat for the new arrivals, anyone who has internet access can go to marsone.com and read all of the information that is being presented , the website fully explains everything from funding to habitat, equipment, the companies involved in providing the technologies that are going to be used.

I have my own ideas about the terms and conditions being presented by mars one, with the whole no chance to return to earth and all, but my thoughts on the matter involve shadow government, conspiracy theories, secret military projects,and advanced technology that our government is already in possession of that would fully compensate for the whole supposed, no return policy of the mars one mission.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   
www.mars-one.com...

The Mars One mission plan consists of cargo missions and unmanned preparation of a habitable settlement, followed by human landings. In the coming years, a demonstration mission, communication satellites, two rovers and several cargo missions will be sent to Mars. These missions will set up the outpost where the human crew will live and work. The mission design takes into account the expansion of the human colony where a new crew arrive every two years. - See more at: www.mars-one.com...

They could be really busy up there, growing their own food, maintenance, etc.

I hope it happens and I hope we'll be kept up to date with what's happening up there.

The first people aren't scheduled to even go there for another 10 years.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by DonVoigt

I've also wondered what they might find up there....

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

Oh the thoughts I've had of what they will find up there. There are so many movies and conspiracy theories about mars that the imagination can run absolutely wild with the possibilities.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

First we have been to the moon.

Really and it's been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt?

2nd the reason we havent is its expense.

Oh please there's trillions of dollars unaccounted for that would've easily paid for such a mission back to the moon.

No one wants to spend multi billions to set up a proper infrastructure to make solar sysrem explotation and exploration affordable.

Nonsense money would be of no object if they could safely get to the moon and possibly set up some type of mining.

Actually no lots now seem to want to do but fall short with resources.

?????

Well to put int another way only goverments can afford the start up costs at the moment yet no goverment seems to have the nerve to put the money up as they with catch hell from the unwashed uneducated masses who cant understand the importance of moving out and would rather the money be spend on social programs or the military.

This make no sense unless they know it would be a waste of their money to attempt a currently impossible mission.

In other words space is not a vote winner. And politican only care about vote winners.

Space is not possible for them, all they can achieve is high orbit staying safely under the protection of this planets atmosphere away from the extreme bands of radiation of space. In 1990 Discovery reached the highest orbit of 379.9 miles above the Earth but still within the planet's atmosphere.
Discovery Blast Into Record High Orbit
edit on 8-1-2014 by Chai_An because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-1-2014 by Chai_An because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 04:01 PM
link   

DonVoigt
reply to post by snowspirit

Oh the thoughts I've had of what they will find up there. There are so many movies and conspiracy theories about mars that the imagination can run absolutely wild with the possibilities.

Imagination being the keyword here ;-)

The plan is actually pretty exciting, on one single premise - that funding can be maintained to send new crews every four years. If the funding ran dry, the original crew would be in a serious mess.

This biggest issue is the size of the habitat. If inflatable modules, for example, could be added on a regular basis, then I actually think it would be pretty cool. If not - I think murder is almost a certainty! Not everyone will get along *all* the time.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Imagine If one had a Baby while on Mars...A Mars space baby
I guess we would have to go and rescue the space baby and much more will be invested in space exploration.
Must admit even If it was only 6 months before you died you would have seen things no one has seen before and you would live for ever in name only.
Am I jealous? yup.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by MarsIsRed

Well like I said if you go to the mars one, website they talk about the inflatable above ground modules your talking about and eventually when they get enough people and equipment to start building underground habitats, but it's my opinion that their plan is very feasible and that with the right funding and support that this mission can blossom into something very valid.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   

DonVoigt

Well like I said if you go to the mars one, website they talk about the inflatable above ground modules your talking about and eventually when they get enough people and equipment to start building underground habitats, but it's my opinion that their plan is very feasible and that with the right funding and support that this mission can blossom into something very valid.

Agreed. It's blatantly apparent that no government has the stomach for this kind of thing anymore, so the only hope we have is that private enterprise succeeds (even though I don't agree with the fundamental principle of funding through television rights - but hey, if it works!).

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   

flipflop

perhaps the loss of one is more food from that perspective, and there must be chores for the 4 if not why not send 3, anyway, the intent as you say, (is most likely to stay alive unti they reach a natural death and possibly until additional people arrive, For a pioneering spirit this is the adventure of a lifetime, hardly a burden.) that could well be the case, or it may be that mars will not be colonized by earthlings at all, but by hybrids, we may not want to start off a new bunch of humans on another planet, whats the point in that, we know what we can do when we colonize a whole planet, example earth... but this is guinea pig times so why not use the nearest thing to hybrids we have... em step up human entity.. could all this make sense, or is it a lot of gobblegook, no one can say at this point in time.. thanks for your input though...

Say what?!? You started out with a query about four humans living on Mars. Now you're into--umm--hybrids? But these first four won't be hybrids, nor will their eventual companions. They'll be 100% humans dealing with the environment of Mars. From THAT perspective, the original one, not this "flipflopped" one, these things are likely to pass. The idea of four being sent rather than three is not to "do more work," but to survive. They are not going to be building skyscrapers or need to divide work by man-years. Sending four rather than three allows this to happen, hopefully, more amiably.

boymonkey74
Imagine If one had a Baby while on Mars...A Mars space baby
I guess we would have to go and rescue the space baby and much more will be invested in space exploration.

Why would you have to "rescue" a "space baby." He would be the first Martian (as far as we know.) Just name him "Michael" and be done with it.
edit on 1/8/2014 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   

tinner07
My first thought is that anybody applying to go has to have a screw loose somewhere. Odds are they are going to die in a spaceship in the cold dark void of space.

I applied and was accepted. I guess I have a screw loose.

There are far worse ways to die in my opinion. One of them is having never accomplished anything of note while slaving away in a cubicle all your life.

This mission is a high risk/high reward affair. One which no Earthly government would take on. The people who go to Mars will be heros whether they succeed or fail. The fact that they tried will be success enough. And lessons will be learned for the next mission.

That said, I give them about a 60% chance of success which seems to be rising based on who the Mars One team is slowly bringing on board (Space X, Robert Zubrin, Lockheed Martin and SSTL, etc).

By the time they liftoff the mission may be very well thought out with many redundant systems and closed loop life support.

The greatest issue as to survival will NOT be technical in my opinion, it will be crew selection. Like others have said, 4 people leaves a slim margin for error.

And unfortunately the selection process (Facebook popularity contests, Reality TV) looks like it might pick the wrong people.

The kinds of people who make reality shows interesting and worth watching are the same kinds of people who you would NOT want on a mission such as this.

The more boring, level headed person the better if you're going to be in a ship for 2 years and on Mars for life.
edit on 8-1-2014 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Personally I think once it happens and people are actually living on mars that governments will eventually want to be a part of it to start claiming their territories there, and that's when things are going to start to get messy

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   

DonVoigt

Personally I think once it happens and people are actually living on mars that governments will eventually want to be a part of it to start claiming their territories there, and that's when things are going to start to get messy

No one can claim a territory on another planet. UN Outer Space Treaty of 1966.

There are no nations in space, only planets.

What is more likely is that as the colony grows to the size of a small town they form their own government once they are self sufficient and apply to the UN.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   
No human being has even been 1 million miles from Earth, much less 40 million. There is a lot of uncertainty as to whether or not it's even possible for humans to continue to live so far away from Earth, for a variety of physical, mental, and metaphysical reasons. Silver cord, anybody?

But if somebody wants to kill themselves so their name will be in history books, even though they're not likely to discover anything a robot couldn't, who am I to stop them? People die for all kinds of crazy or mundane reasons.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by JadeStar

Did you make it to the second round ? , the emails went out recently weather or not your in the second round, only 1058 people were selected out of some 180,000 applicants

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Blue Shift
No human being has even been 1 million miles from Earth, much less 40 million. There is a lot of uncertainty as to whether or not it's even possible for humans to continue to live so far away from Earth, for a variety of physical, mental, and metaphysical reasons. Silver cord, anybody?

Sounds a lot like the quote that "no aircraft heavier than air will ever take flight", "no one would ever survive breaking the sound barrier" or that "a moon rocket would be too heavy to get to the moon" or "no one ever will want or need a computer in their home".

There is no reason the challenges of such a trip can not be overcome. We've done this repeatedly through history.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   

DonVoigt

Did you make it to the second round ? , the emails went out recently weather or not your in the second round, only 1058 people were selected out of some 180,000 applicants

No. I withdrew from the first group they selected for round one so I withdrew my video.

As I said before, when it became a Facebook popularity contest I had second thoughts about how well thought out the crew selection process is.

Think about some of the people you know on Facebook....you get the picture.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Yea I know I'm very well aware of the process, and I agree as to the ridiculousness in the selection process. It should definitely be taken more seriously considering the consequences of sending certain people up there

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   

JadeStar

No one can claim a territory on another planet. UN Outer Space Treaty of 1966.

You put too much faith in treaty's.

If treaty's were 100% honoured and adhered to we would have no wars.

Only reason no one has broken the UN Outer Space Treaty is purely because its just not worth it so far.
As soon as resources become with in reach I'm sure you will find country's backing out, especially if in a few decades time they are suffering huge resources shortages.

If history teaches us anything is that treatys only exist as far as they are convient.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join