It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

200,000 people apply to live on Mars

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Nut or not, I'd sign up except I'm in my 40's and probably not an ideal candidate, but who has often thought about living on a desert island at least once in their lives, this one way trip to Mars is the extreme version of it.
I'd love to go but I doubt xbox would consider allowing sign on from that kind of distance, think of the lag.
They'd have to be able to supply at least enough plants to sustain the oxygen levels, and tools for mining to build underground caves and dwellings, and I don't see any trees to punch to start building with.
But think of the possibilities to find out what is actually in those NASA photos?

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 05:35 AM
link   
We can't even take care of this planet and we want inhabit others? The good thing is that Mars seems to be deserted and void of life. Nothing to destroy over there.

I don't get why some want to leave this beautiful planet. It is still nice here now, we can keep it that way if we stop dreaming about leaving it and dealing with our problems.

I don't think many understand the responsibility and the deprivation that going to Mars implies. Can most of you who volunteered keep fast for 12-14 hours?

Can you live without the internet for two months? TV? Maybe for years, for the rest of your life?!

The discipline you need to have on a ship, the mental toughness? No turning back!

People will probably die, some will go insane. It wont be pretty and magical like hollywood makes it. The first to arrive on American soil were not the smartest, but they were tough as f&^k.

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 05:37 AM
link   

SLAYER69
when the SHTF I wouldn't want to be on board rubbing elbows with the elites.

But when it comes to choosing people to colonize Mars for a fresh start of Humanity, you`d be the first to be choosy and selective of an elite group of non-troublemakers. Admit it.

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 05:40 AM
link   

SLAYER69
200,000 people apply to live on Mars

(CNN) -- If you have ambitions of being one of the first people on Mars, listen up: A Dutch company says it is moving along with its plan to send four lucky Earthlings to colonize the Red Planet. The catch: They won't ever come back.

The Mars One foundation announced Tuesday that it has secured lead suppliers for an unmanned mission launching in 2018, which involves a robotic lander and a communications satellite. Lockheed Martin has been contracted to study building the lander, and Surrey Satellite Technology Ltd. will develop a concept study for the satellite, Mars One said.

This first mission will demonstrate technology that would be involved in a permanent human settlement on Mars. If all goes well -- and that's still very much an "if" -- the first pioneers could land on Mars in 2025.

Enthusiasm has been growing since the project's first big announcement in April. More than 200,000 people have signed up to be prospective astronauts, Mars One CEO Bas Lansdorp said in Washington on Tuesday.

The application period is now closed

Okay, why weren't we informed of this earlier? I didn't get the Memo! Did any of you? Somebody dropped the ball. I wanna go

It's not like I'd really hold my breath to be chosen besides, when the SHTF I wouldn't want to be on board rubbing elbows with the elites. It's bad enough down here living on the same Continent with them sometimes.

Sheeesh!

OHHH MY...
What HAVE you been smokin...Or have you been in a coma
for the past year or so...
This is OOOOLD....

And would i go...HELL YES....
And if i had them with me i´d even sign up
my family of Wife, daughter of 9 and son of 13....

IF, i knew it would be "safe"....

That is why i havnt..I dont KNOW...

And as for coming back...Sure no problem...
In the time in between the missions, do you think
they´ll just be cruising around, doing nothing??
Nope, theyll work their bottoms of to create
even grander stuff...

IF...

What if IF didnt exist...LOL

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Id go to mars even if it meant death....because id land there walk off and see something amazing...ive led a good life....id be content if mars was my last adventure. They will open the applications again I bet!

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Do I get to see a tree?

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I would miss the lakes, the oceans, beaches and tropical paradise that we have here. Mars looks so, well dry and boring. I would miss the four seasons and the spring rains and even snow. Besides, how do we tell the kids to go outside and play? Course kids nowadays rarely do that anymore; hey lets send the kids to colonize and be the first pioneers.

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Hmm what would we need Mars for? There´s more than enough space on this planet plus we still have a huge empty continent that could be colonized in the future once we find out how to manage the popsicle that place is without causing too much destruction. Funny how everybody talks about colonizing other planets but nobody came up with an effective plan how to colonize Antarctica yet. Cheaper, more fun, not so far away, great place for cold climate lovers and I´d be the first person to apply for the Antarctican citizenship! : ) Mars looks rather....ugly.

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Alda1981
well I was.. and many were as well as you can see... however there are a few things that remain to be seen.. one is the amount of radioenergy absorbed by the crew during the travel...

Don't get me wrong my obsession over Mars begun when I was 4-5 years old.. I was trying to gather some pictures from newspapers and was looking them for hours (I was born in 81 no internet back then).

The thing is I don't know how serious those Mars One people are...
. Righteous! May all yo dreams come troo. I'm still stand in here waiting for the bus to Funky Town.

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Okay, why weren't we informed of this earlier? I didn't get the Memo! Did any of you? Somebody dropped the ball. I wanna go

Many of us got the first memo. This has been around for a long time. You can still sign up by the way. After Mars One they have already scheduled a Mars Two.

It's not like I'd really hold my breath to be chosen besides, when the SHTF I wouldn't want to be on board rubbing elbows with the elites. It's bad enough down here living on the same Continent with them sometimes.

Sheeesh!

These aren't going to be elite people. Just average people for the most part.

Life on Mars will be no picnic and you don't get to come home.

If you like eating algae and lab meat, dodging radiation and massive dust storms while trying not to run out of air then have at it.

If you're interested in this I suggest spending a year or two in Antarctica because Mars makes it look like Miami.

FYI: I had applied and was accepted in the first round but I had no interest in paying the application fee nor the Facebook popularity contest nor the reality TV show. Seems a bit too "Hunger Games" to me.

But i was invited to this conference in Washington, DC:

And was invited to Washington, DC for a conference:

On May 7, Bas Lansdorp will attend the Human to Mars summit in Washington DC. Lansdorp will be a panel speaker in the meeting “living on Mars: habitation and life support challenges”. Explore Mars has offered Mars One supporters a discount on their ticket for the Human to Mars summit. When you buy a ticket, add the discount code ‘MarsOne’ to receive a 15% discount. For more information on the Humans to Mars summit, visit the website of H2M.

And I was initially accepted into the program.....

Here was the letters I was sent upon acceptance:

Dear *|female name|*, name

After careful analysis of the all the serious interest we have received you have been selected to be one of the first candidates invited to apply to be a Mars One astronaut. Congratulations!

Why we ask for confidentiality

The application platform is not open to the public yet but we are inviting pre-launch applications from a some worthy candidates who have supported us in the infancy of the program. We ask you to strictly refrain from revealing anything about this to anyone and for now consider all the information you have access to as strictly confidential.

What to do if you encounter any problem

Since the application platform is still beta in this pre-launch period, you may encounter some problems during the process. In this case, please send us an email. Your suggestions will help us make the application process better!

How to apply for the Astronaut Selection Program

Below is the link you should follow to access the Astronaut Selection Program and the pre-registration code that allows you to register. This is a unique code and can only be used once. Therefore it is not possible to share it with anybody else.

Astronaut application platform: apply.mars-one.com...

Good luck with your application!

What do you need to know
You can apply in one of the eleven most commonly used languages on the Internet: English, German, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian, Mandarin, Japanese, Indonesian, Korean, Arabic.

You have the option to decide if your profile should be public or private. We strongly recommend you choose to share your profile publicly because popularity of profiles is one of the many criteria for the Mars One astronaut selection committee. Your compelling story also helps us to spread our message around the world.

You will be able to promote your profile as soon as the Astronaut Selection Platform opens to everyone. You can then share the link and ask your network to rate it. This may help you to increase your chances to proceed to the second round! Your compelling story also helps us to spread our message around the world.
We are grateful for your commitment and interest in the Mars One project. You will receive all the details to order an exclusive gift as a memento of this important step.

Click here to find all the instructions concerning the payment and how to create an original and compelling video.

Regards,

Mars One

Then one week later I was sent this:

Dear -name-

We are pleased to announce that yesterday at 12.00 pm EDT Mars One has opened the door to the Astronaut Selection Program.

In last few days we opened the application website to a small group of potential applicants and asked them to be the first ones to submit their applications. Their contribution was really helpful to improve the application platform.

Now it's your turn. You can submit your application at apply.mars-one.com.... This is Round 1 of the selection procedure which will close on 31st August 2013.

You can apply in one of the eleven most commonly used languages on the internet: English, German, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian, Mandarin, Japanese, Indonesian, Korean, Arabic.

All applicants have the option of setting their profile as public or private. We strongly recommend you share your profile publicly; this will allow you to promote it and develop a network of supporters. Also, your story is bound to inspire people all over the world.

Mars One in the Media

Mars One’s Astronaut Selection Program is what everyone is talking about. At the recent LOGIN Tech Conference in Vilnius, Lithuania, Steve Wozniak, Co-founder of Apple, said “yes” when he was asked if he would apply to go to Mars. You can watch a short snippet of this conversation here www.youtube.com...

If you are applying to the Mars One program, you have good humoured company in Gary Busey who revealed his application video at the Jimmy Kimmel Live Show last week. www.youtube.com...

Our announcement has and will continue to receive a lot of media attention, so look out for its coverage on TV, radio, print and online. At the press conference yesterday we have released a lot of new media content- images, plans and videos. We hope you enjoy these and share them with your friends.

Thank you for your support to the Mars One mission. We are looking forward to your application.

Good luck!

Regards,

Mars One

I support anyone who wants to go. Maybe when I am old I'll go on Mars 5 or something. They seemed interested in me.
edit on 11-12-2013 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   

JadeStar

I'd still go.

I could die tomorrow from any number of things here on Earth.

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I don't want to hurt some feelings here, but how many Arabs signed up?

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   

SLAYER69

JadeStar

I'd still go.

I could die tomorrow from any number of things here on Earth.

Its not the dying part that would be hard on Mars. There are any number of things that can kill you.

It's the living part that will be harder. Its going to be very hard work just maintaining equipment, mining water, and making sure everyone gets along in such tight confines. You can't just go out for a stroll if you are pissed off at someone. To do so would be using precious resources that others worked hard to get (ie: oxygen from mining water).

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   

0bserver1
I don't want to hurt some feelings here, but how many Arabs signed up?

Quite a few actually.

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by JadeStar

I fully understand.

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Thealienvisitor

Hmm what would we need Mars for? There´s more than enough space on this planet plus we still have a huge empty continent that could be colonized in the future once we find out how to manage the popsicle that place is without causing too much destruction. Funny how everybody talks about colonizing other planets but nobody came up with an effective plan how to colonize Antarctica yet. Cheaper, more fun, not so far away, great place for cold climate lovers and I´d be the first person to apply for the Antarctican citizenship! : ) Mars looks rather....ugly.

The dinosaurs were a one planet species.

A two planet species, if we become one, could become immortal.

Right now, if the Chelyabinsk meteor had been just bigger by say a factor of 20 then we would likely be going the way of the dinos.

Add to that the possibility of any number of other disasters that can happen on Earth such as nuclear annihilation (we've been perilously close to that at least two times in the last 60 years), a global pandemic like the Spanish Flu, global warming due to thermodynamics (at some point in the next 150-200 years we will be radiating more heat than the planet can get rid of), nanobots run amok, and who knows what else and you probably want a lifeboat somewhere else for humanity to have a chance of survival given that sometimes things fall apart.

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   

I wouldn't go if the slightest would go wrong? it's to early for leaping such a great distance the way we travel now ..

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   

0bserver1

I wouldn't go if the slightest would go wrong? it's to early for leaping such a great distance the way we travel now ..

Its not too early. We were supposed to be on Mars in 1985. If anything this is way late.

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   

The lander will be based on the successful NASA Phoenix mission,

That's funny ,did they not repeated attempts to contact the spacecraft and never heard of it again?

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Look at the picture above..

For some idea of how hard life will be on Mars there is plenty in it:

1) Notice how the Mars One trailer park is half buried? Thats because in order to survive in the high radiation environment you need to bury the living quarters. That will be the first thing every one has to do when they land. GET OUT AND DIG DAMMIT!

2) Notice the photovoltaic solar array? That's how they plan to get power. Personally I'd rather they had planned to take a couple small SNAP reactors with them because photovoltaics are not the most efficient power generators. They also are going to need to be maintained.....on Mars.... which likes to cover them with dust on a seasonal basis.

3) Speaking of dust, look off in the distance....is that a dust storm forming? Better not get stuck out in that rover in a dune or you will have a nice hike back to the habitat. Oh, you don't have enough oxygen to make it back? Tough luck, should have been smarter. Darwin works on Mars as well as on Earth.

4) I see no high gain communications array. Want to get your Netflix uploaded to Mars? Good luck with that because without a high gain array communications bandwidth is going to be low. So yes, you will be able to post on Facebook (with a 21 minute light time delay of course) forget Skyping friends and family. Just saying Hi mom, and mom saying Hi back would take 42 minutes so prepare for a lot of one-way communication packets.

So, you say, AHA! Robots! They're the answer!

Cool.... the more robots you have doing work the more people you need to maintain them which them puts a stress on the habitat if it is unprepared to support that number of people.

This would all make a pretty good video game ala The Sims.

I wonder if Mars One has considered that as a fundraising platform?

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join