It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US admits possible failure in Iraq as Resistance is gathering Momentum

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Baghdad exploded in violence today, as insurgents attacked a US patrol and a police station, assassinated four government employees and detonated several bombs. A US official admitted that security in some areas is deteriorating so badly that "it would now be difficult" to hold elections there

www.guardian.co.uk...

The popular iraqi resistance seems to be succeeding in it's guerilla strategy!

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mokuhadzushi
A US official admitted that security in some areas is deteriorating so badly that "it would now be difficult" to hold elections there

"a us official" means about squat. The could have been talking to a cook. Besides that they are talking about a specific problem in a specific area. They are not even talking about the war in Iraq in general. But hey don't let me stop you from demoralizing the troops.

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 12:51 PM
link   
you should read more knews. Rumsfeld aknowledged yesterday that 'elections were perhaps not possible in january'. I just didnt find a good article about it.

link   
Nice going..
A re-written headline, that does not reflect the contents of the story.
Preying on those with short attention spans now eh?
It's true, a lot of people scan the newspaper that way too..Just the headlines, don't have time for the "meat of the story".

The "meat" says it would be difficult to hold elections there.
Did he mean, hold them NOW? or in a month? Or on schedule?

I didn't read anything about an admission of failure. DID you?
Please, highlight THAT part of the story, and Post it here, in this thread.

dream on!

link   

Originally posted by imas

But hey don't let me stop you from demoralizing the troops.

Imas - do you remember who said, "And the truth shall set ye free?"

Often, the first part of freedom is the pain of accepting truth. The freedom to make informed choices follows after.

PS. I read the article and didn't get the same information you did.

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
Often, the first part of freedom is the pain of accepting truth. The freedom to make informed choices follows after.

Of course you know much better than our military leaders who feel we are doing well in Iraq. After all you probably have much better intelligence available to you than the president. And you know more about Iraq than Tommy Franks.
What is your personal massive multibillion dollar intelligence department called again? Oh yeah the media.

[edit on 20-11-2004 by imas]

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Mokuhadzushi,

Here is a story about Rumsfeld's opinion on Iraqi elections.
It took me 30 seconds to find it.

Allawi, Rumsfeld on Elections

Your take on this story?

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 01:04 PM
link   
For God's sake, there arent going to be any elections there, period.

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 01:04 PM
link   
WASHINGTON - Iraqi Prime Minister Ayad Allawi sees a bright future for Iraqi democracy, brushing aside skeptics who say elections set for January may be truncated or canceled altogether because of violence.

Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld said he believes the elections should go ahead but he suggested the balloting may be impossible in areas where the potential for violence is too great.

�Nothing�s perfect in life,� Rumsfeld told a Senate committee on Thursday. �You have an election that�s not quite perfect. Is it better than not having an election? You bet.�

Still nothing suggesting that the war is going poorly or that we could be losing ground. Just the opposite is true we are gaining more control and Rumsfeld just reiterated what we already knew. Iraq is in a transitional period and even though there will be a few problems they're not gonna stop us.

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
For God's sake, there arent going to be any elections there, period.

interesting and what do you with you vast AP resources and knowledge believe will happen?

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I dont need to go to a million websites to figure it out for myself.

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 01:12 PM
link   
dgtempe,

Never ever? no elections?
Saddam had elections there, remember?
Big voter turnout too. Let's put him on the ballot this time.
Maybe he'll get 100%?

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 01:13 PM
link   

I dont need to go to a million websites to figure it out for myself.

So you got nothing? You just full of hot air and Bush hatred?

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt

Here is a story about Rumsfeld's opinion on Iraqi elections.
It took me 30 seconds to find it.

spacedoubt - your story was published September 24... Mokuhadzushi linked to a current story.

imas - your quote is important too.

Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld said he believes the elections should go ahead but he suggested the balloting may be impossible in areas where the potential for violence is too great.

...tells us that elections in Iraq will follow the same strategy as the US Presidential election - except the ballots won't be collected before they're destroyed.

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I guess you would like, at this point, for me to start ranting and raving about how this president doesnt have any plans or doesnt know how to go about having elections in a country consumed by gunfire death and mayhem.

I'm not going to do that

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 01:27 PM
link   

I guess you would like, at this point, for me to start ranting and raving about how this president doesnt have any plans or doesnt know how to go about having elections in a country consumed by gunfire death and mayhem.

I'm not going to do that

Then you will soon know how wrong you are. There will be elections and the situation in Iraq will continue to improve...just as it has been.

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
spacedoubt - your story was published September 24... Mokuhadzushi linked to a current story.

By golly you are right, because THAT is when it was said..

Unless, Mokuhadzushi, could take the time to support this "story, he could not find a good link for"..
Just typing it on a website does not make it true..

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by imas

Then you will soon know how wrong you are. There will be elections and the situation in Iraq will continue to improve...just as it has been.
Imas, i do hope you're right. Its 50/50, but its a good probability that until we have some cease fire in that region, there will not be any elections. No one will be going to the polls while dodging bullets. This is my point, and i think elections will be held later, rather than sooner. All signs point to this.

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I don't see any problem with delaying the election to help calm things down. But I do believe they will have an election.

This cease fire stuff better not happen anymore. That has only made the situation worse. It gave strength and validation to the enemy fighters. We have the power to knock them down and we shouldn't hold off for political reasons. But that is the main problem with winning any war. Politics always get in the way.

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Elections are nothing more and nothing else that the proof of this administration that he can turn that country into a democracy.

Elections, right? and may I ask where are the political candidtes? I don't see any of them in mosul and fallujah doing campaing.

Can anybody see is just a mockery.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join