It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My brother is threatening my family an I.... What can I do??? I live in California...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 02:43 AM
link   
I'm unsure what I should do....
My half brother is declared scziphenic or however it's spelled but it's much worse than that. He really wants to be me, he wants what I have. I'm blessed with a beautiful girlfriend and 3boys/1girl for kids.
He has called an threatened me repeatedly (including Christmas Day) with bodily harm and has said unbelievable things to my girlfriend that has her unable to sleep at night.
I'm not scared because face to face he can't beat me but I work50 hours a week so I'm not always here to defend my family.
My girlfriend bought herself a firearm she's so scared but he has verbally said "I will kill my brother" (me) "AND have my way with your" (my) family.
He currently lives In Florida (Marathon Island) an I live in California so what should I do?????????????????
He's a violent felon that's on the run from California, but he has mental issues an is haunting my family an I.
He is fully capable of his threats an is living under the radar which is terrifying my family. I've tried to inform VALLEJO POLICE DEPARTMENT but they said they can't do anything until he tries it....
Just some background Info.... He raped me as a child (he's 6years older than me) I've never went to the cops about that because that wasn't how I was raised but now that I have a kids I'm way more concerned.
Any advice/help is greatly appreciated!!!!! An don't just say arm up because that doesn't deter crazy people...is there any legal action I can take to protect my family? Restraining orders aren't granted unless they can be served to the person so I need another solution .... Please help

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by NewsWorthy

Sounds like an awful situation to be in. I can't offer too much advice as I don't know enough, just from your post. However, maybe if you can muster the courage, you could bring your rape allegation up to the police.

Understandably a massive decision for you, but maybe, this is the only way to see him locked up and justice done for you and your family. If he raped you, just think what he might be capable of in the wider community he lives now.You might actually save others from what you suffered, by reporting his crime. Maybe other children are at risk where he currently resides.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Next time he calls you need to talk to him, try and undermine his (obviously) flawed logic, ask him questions (don't threaten him or sound condescending, call him sick or twisted).

Say to him, why do you want to kill me? How does killing me and harming my family get you what I have?

Explain that you have what you have is because of love, not violence. Tell him if he's willing to meet you, you will help him, show him how love can change his life (obviously, if you meet him, arm up or inform the police).

I understand you and your family are the victims, but remember you are not the only ones in this scenario who are crying for help, talk to him.
edit on 6-1-2014 by iRoyalty because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 03:22 AM
link   
www.flcourts.org...

Worth a try.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 03:55 AM
link   

If he calls threatening you, record it as evidence and show the police. If they don't act, try another precinct or go higher, they can't ignore the evidence. And remind them of his previous crimes and those that you may know of that aren't recorded felons, and share your childhood experience no matter how hard it may be.

And remember that he is mentally unstable and that could play in your favor, I've had the displeasure of knowing a dangerous schizophrenic and they aren't great decision makers, there is a good chance he'll slip up and get himself incarcerated somewhere down the line.

Apart from that there is nothing more I offer except my best wishes and hope things work out for best.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 03:59 AM
link   
the other option is to disapear, I had a mentally ill mother (although no were near as bad as your brother sounds) and in the end the only way I counld escape was to move to where she couldn't find me. I realize with a family this isn't an easy option but it probably is the safest.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 04:10 AM
link   
It's doubtful a schizophrenic could make it from Florida to California without incident, unless he's some kind of high functioning genius. But it doesn't sound like he is stable in the least. How could he even afford to get there?

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Can you get him sectioned? here in the UK family members can get them sectioned all it needs is a doctors consent and then he will be monitored and put on a bigger section to get him the help he needs.
Anyhow stay safe dude..nd ring the cops first sign he has arrived in your state, oh and maybe go and stay at a pals house until it is sorted.
edit on 6-1-2014 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 04:29 AM
link   
I think you and your family have suffered enough. It would be wise at this point to get the police involved, maybe get a restraining order as well for good measure.

You need to act now, before things get out of hand, because they will. He is just building up all this anger and hatred against you since you were children. He won't get better, or stop, he's just waiting for the right moment to strike in my opinion.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 04:32 AM
link   

The quickest way to resolve the issue would be to set up a meeting the next time he calls you, then when he gets there you "dispose" of him in whatever way you find the most suitable.

THAT however might get you into some legal difficulties (with that same police office that couldn't do anything to help you in the first place) in our "civilised" society, so...do it at your own risk...

DISCLAIMER: I'm kidding, of course.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 06:21 AM
link   
I really do feel for you as it must be really difficult to deal with. I had a friend who was a schizophrenic and he was the most unpredictable character I have ever met, so I understand your concern.

When was the last time you had contact with your brother? Was it recently? How recent ago were the threats?

In my opinion, If the threats were recent, I would "lay low" for a while until the dust settles, until you can get enough proof.

If his threats were recent, do you think he would act on them sooner rather than later?

Get camera's in the house, record your telephone calls, and if possible go and take your family somewhere for a few days. This may not be the best advice but it is worth considering if it is feasible to do so.

I would inform a neighbour or a friend you can trust to come and check up on you every so often to ensure nothing bad is going on.

I really hope this situation resolves itself for you in the best possible manner and my thoughts are with you. Take care

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 06:53 AM
link   

NewsWorthy
I'm unsure what I should do....
My half brother is declared scziphenic or however it's spelled but it's much worse than that. He really wants to be me, he wants what I have. I'm blessed with a beautiful girlfriend and 3boys/1girl for kids.
He has called an threatened me repeatedly (including Christmas Day) with bodily harm and has said unbelievable things to my girlfriend that has her unable to sleep at night.
I'm not scared because face to face he can't beat me but I work50 hours a week so I'm not always here to defend my family.
My girlfriend bought herself a firearm she's so scared but he has verbally said "I will kill my brother" (me) "AND have my way with your" (my) family.

If you are seriously worried, then you should get hold of a recording device to record your telephone communications with your half brother, document them, and pass them up the chain, that is the first step toward some sort of peace. If your neighbors are good people, and persons in whom you have any faith or friendship, then make them aware of the situation as well, and ask them to keep a weather eye on your home, your lady, and your kids for you. If you have no neighbors like that... If it was me in this situation, I know a couple of people I could call in to mind the homestead for me, but I do not know how you are placed in that way.

He currently lives In Florida (Marathon Island) an I live in California so what should I do?????????????????
He's a violent felon that's on the run from California, but he has mental issues an is haunting my family an I.
He is fully capable of his threats an is living under the radar which is terrifying my family. I've tried to inform VALLEJO POLICE DEPARTMENT but they said they can't do anything until he tries it....

Just looked up on the web about the way the Florida legal system deals with death threats. If you can prove that your half brother made threats against you, that is actually a second degree felony, which on its own carries a fifteen year maximum prison term, with a possible addition of a ten thousand dollar fine. Due to the fact that you are in California however, it is in your own hometown that you need to report the crime. Look at this linked page:

www.shouselaw.com...

Just some background Info.... He raped me as a child (he's 6years older than me) I've never went to the cops about that because that wasn't how I was raised but now that I have a kids I'm way more concerned.
Any advice/help is greatly appreciated!!!!! An don't just say arm up because that doesn't deter crazy people...is there any legal action I can take to protect my family? Restraining orders aren't granted unless they can be served to the person so I need another solution .... Please help

Well, what the police you contacted told you, about not being able to do anything unless he acts is pretty bogus. The law says that he has already committed at least a misdemeanor (worth one year in county jail), if not a felony. If he has previous convictions, and is still persona non gratis in California, then he is likely to be risking some serious jail time inflicting this horror on your family. However, the police are not trained to know the ins and outs of the law, that is a prosecutors job. Aside from the specific crime of threatening yourself and your family, he could also be accused of harassment, stalking, and several other crimes.

Basically, record your next conversation, and any communication you get from your half brother. Get the phone company to send you a list of your calls, and document what was said in the older calls, if you can remember. Verbatim is best. Take all the information you can get, all the detail you can, and bring it to your local police office, tell them that you want your half brother arrested, since he has already committed an offense under the law as it stands, AND since his prior history of behavior toward you is ample evidence that the threat made is real and serious. The documented calls, and the recorded verbal threats, should be more than enough for an arrest, even across state lines. In fact, you may find that this element of the case actually makes the offense slightly larger, and may even attract an amount of federal interest, depending on the circumstances.

I wish you the best of luck, and suggest that as well as doing what I have suggested, that you look into the law on this matter for yourself, just so you know the territory into which you are treading. Also, I know you said that simply arming up will not be enough to deter your half brother, but I would suggest that one does not arm up to deter. One arms up in order to terminate the threat in extreme circumstances, and therefore the suggestion has merit. Just saying!

Other than that, you and yours are in my prayers. Godspeed to you.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 07:49 AM
link   
As other have already said the threat alone is enough to press charges, but you'll need a recording of it.

Ask your neighbors for help if you feel you can trust them, also if your still worried about not being able to watch over your family you can install security camera if you have not already.

Also setup an exit plan for your girlfriend and kids, a gun is nice but getting out alive is better. Be sure to take in to account that he'll have to plan what ever he does to you weakest moment since you said you could take him in a fight.

But if you get that recording that should help you a lot.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I am a police officer who works in Florida. Not where your brother lives but I am familiar with the states laws.

What you need to do is every time he calls, leaves a voicemail, sends a text message, email, even writes a letter you need to contact the police agency that has jurisdiction where he lives.

Ask to complete an informational report for harassing communications and or stalking. Both can apply in this type of situation.

www.flsenate.gov...

www.flsenate.gov...

Every time he calls make a report. After a couple times there should be sufficient evidence to make an arrest/file charges for the crime.

Keep in mind this is only a misdemeanor charge. He would probably not see any jail time for it. However, he may receive monitored probation.

OR

Another thing that you can do is try to get court ordered mental treatment for him.

Since he is family you can petition the court to order treatment that he could not refuse. Of course you would have to prove that he needs the help.

The phone calls, text messages, emails that shows he wants to harm himself or others will come in to play there as well.

You may have to go through the Florida court system for this. I would visit your local courthouse and ask first though.

OR

You can apply for an injunction/restraining order. While it won't prevent him from doing anything, it will make it easier for law enforcement to make an arrest.

Generally injunction/restraining orders have conditions that say if he contacts you in any way an arrest can be made. (Evidence producing of course)

So basically he calls you after he is served and he is arrested.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THINGS YOU CAN DO are to be aware at all times and buy and learn to use a firearm if you are able to.

Being that he is on the opposite coast there is a slim chance that he will try anything.

However, do not become complacent.
edit on 6-1-2014 by TorqueyThePig because: grammar

edit on 6-1-2014 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-1-2014 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-1-2014 by TorqueyThePig because: changed links

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

Yes sir. Good link.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   
If posting a threat on Facebook is worth jail time it seems you should have no problem recording a threat to you. Once that threat is recorded the police will have to intervene. Terrorist threats carry a sentence now days....

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Dear Newsworthy - in addition to all of the great suggestions provided already I would recommend getting a dog or even two. The dog would be an alarm of sorts to anything going on outside the house as well as be a protector.

Pinpoint a safe place in the house and perhaps make it inpenetrable that your children and girlfriend can run to for safety. Do drills, just like you do with fire drills.

Discuss a safe place that the children can run to and meet up at - a neighbor's house, or a driveway five houses away.

Fortify your home, ie: make it hard for anyone to get in the house, remove shrubs from front door.

I wish you all the best. There is no negotiating with a person that isn't mentally stable. I really feel for you and your family.

Last minute thought: can you move, change your phone number, hide from him in some manner? Does he know where you work, the name of the schools the kids go to?
edit on 6/1/14 by ccseagull because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Sorry...family or not, threatening your life is one thing, but threatening your gf and kids is another entirely.

This is a terrible answer, but if it came down to it you know what you'd do. That's the easy part. The hardest part is finding a way to resolve it otherwise and in a more legal, and civilized manner.

Stay safe, and protect whats yours.

top topics

join