It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yahoo Visitors Beware: Computers May be Exposed to Malicious Software

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 04:40 PM
link   
At a rate of 300,000 malicious payloads per hour, and since Dec 30, 2013, people clicking on Yahoo ads have been getting more than they bargained for. Fox IT, a Netherlands security firm, suspects that control of these peoples computers are perhaps being sold to online criminals.

So if you have been to Yahoo and clicked on ads, I would give your computer a good going over.

Users who clicked on some ads on Yahoo were directed to sites which launched malicious code, which exploits vulnerabilities in Java and installs malware-- short for malicious software-- on their computers.

Yahoo Visitors Beware: Computers May be Exposed to Malicious Software

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by elouina

Good catch.

Flagging, starring and bumping.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 04:48 PM
link   

SonoftheSun
reply to post by elouina

Good catch.

Flagging, starring and bumping.

You are welcome.
If they catch the infection early on, their computers may possibly be salvageable.

Malwarebytes is excellent at detecting Malware. And also, if anyone wants a good second opinion, Hitman pro is an excellent second opinion malware scanner. It gives you 30 days free to detect and clean up the infection.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by SonoftheSun

Your avatar is freaking me out! Lol!

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 05:02 PM
link   
People actually click on ads these days!?!?!?!

I thought they were simply unbelievably annoying constants of the internet. I didnt realize they were still relevant. I havent intentionally clicked on an ad since the year 2000. Sometimes those moving ads get me cuz its hard to click the X to close 'em. Tricky bastards.
edit on 4109x6741America/ChicagovAmerica/Chicago1 by six67seven because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Bumped & flagged.

I use Yahoo often since I use email through them, while I never intentionally click on ads I have done so accidentally at times. Thanks for the warning.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by six67seven

Ive noticed recently that when you go on to some pages then click the box you want the page realigns its self after a second or two and lo and behold you have inadvertently clicked an add....hmmmm

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   

six67seven
People actually click on ads these days!?!?!?!

I thought they were simply unbelievably annoying constants of the internet. I didnt realize they were still relevant. I havent intentionally clicked on an ad since the year 2000. Sometimes those moving ads get me cuz its hard to click the X to close 'em. Tricky bastards.
edit on 4109x6741America/ChicagovAmerica/Chicago1 by six67seven because: (no reason given)

I agree 1 Million percent...who in the hell *actually* clicks on those things?

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by zeroBelief

I dont want to ruffle any feathers here, but I'm guessing women do the majority of the ad-clicking.

A study should probably be conducted to clear my name. Lmao!

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   

zeevar
reply to post by six67seven

Ive noticed recently that when you go on to some pages then click the box you want the page realigns its self after a second or two and lo and behold you have inadvertently clicked an add....hmmmm

tigershark1988
Bumped & flagged.

I use Yahoo often since I use email through them, while I never intentionally click on ads I have done so accidentally at times. Thanks for the warning.

Yes this has happened to me on a lot of sites. You click the, "X", to close the ad box and get swept off to oshgosh. I don't think this is an accident. Heck I have had spells some time ago at ATS where I was stolen away.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 05:39 PM
link   

I agree 1 Million percent...who in the hell *actually* clicks on those things?

I had the very same thought. The ones who reply to emails to collect their large cut of several million dollars offered by a stranger in Africa?

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 05:39 PM
link   
If people stop clicking by accident, the whole ad shebang is done for. If people want to buy something they do a google search and decide from there. The fact this has become so prevalent is retarded if you ask me. Either that or I totally overestimate the intelligence of the modern man.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Meldionne1

Hah, I never noticed that before. Now I will be looking for it all the time.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   

six67seven
reply to post by zeroBelief

I dont want to ruffle any feathers here, but I'm guessing women do the majority of the ad-clicking.

A study should probably be conducted to clear my name. Lmao!

Honestly, no idea. Women and men both shop online. I'd imagine any study could come out and show any results you wanted to support a specific viewpoint....

new topics

top topics

join