It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS has been consumed by an elitist mentality!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+31 more 
posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   
ATS has been consumed by an elitist mentality which is proving unfair for the average member.

I am here today to state how ATS has become embroiled in elitism and just how it is affecting the experiences of members of this site. While i don't claim to be a saint myself, i find it downright wrong that the average member is being victimised or targeted for attempting to question unanswered events and forces or even for attempting to engage in critical thinking/theorising.

Nearly every forum has its members who engage in destructive or oppressive actions against others. It doesn't matter what forum it is, be it the 9/11 forum or that regarding Chemtrails - they will have members who think they are above others and who act according to their misguided beliefs.

So what are the specific problems facing the majority of average ATS members?

- Specific members in forums have an egotistical opinion of themselves, and choose to display their 'knowledge' by belittling and oppressing the average member.

- Sometimes, these members will band together and completely tear apart a post of an individual who had obviously spent the time and effort into presenting information or an idea to us.

- These members attack others in more ways than what is considered normal, even to the point of attempting to belittle members through methods not covered in the T&C's. Such attacks leave their actions virtually unedited or properly examined.

- These members will continue to engage others on a topic until the thread has either died out, or has suffered zero input from others due to such actions.

- Some of these members will follow a specific OP into other threads of theirs in order to continue their assault.

- Some of these members exist in the higher ATS social status, and as such, expect respect from others on the site. As a side-effect, these members feel that they are somehow superior to their fellow members, and as such, act in either aggressive or oppressive ways.

- Such actions are left unchallenged by the average member, and to some extent, even the moderators. While i understand that the moderators are trying their best to patrol these boards, there are demeaning posts which continue to stand when smaller posts are removed in the very same thread or page.

While i understand that every online website has its fair share of trolls and egotistical maniacs, ATS is on a whole other level.

Overall, i feel that the aforementioned actions are severely affecting ATS. While the moderators are probably addressing the situation, i think the situation needs to be rectified as soon as possible, for the benefit of the average member.

I do continue to enjoy ATS and its services, but it is not the same website it used to be.

Thanks,

Daas.

+9 more 
posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Thank for you this. I recently uploaded a thread about strange things that happened to me pertaining to meditation, third eye, and brain power, and was immediately told I was mentally ill. The ones supporting me greatly outnumbered that though. Still, it seems that there are too many close-minded folks on an open forum website.

S&F

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 10:24 AM
link   
First what is an average member and second who are these evil doers, the bunnys maybe the cats?
edit on 4-1-2014 by Indigent because: forget some vicious animals

edit on 4-1-2014 by Indigent because: typo

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Lynk3

I want you to know that I saw that ... and reported that thread for moderation. I checked a couple of times ... and was sorely disappointed. I'd guess there's a certain expectation that you must sometimes not only defend what you have to say ... but you must also defend yourself. You did a good job!! Maybe moderation was unwarranted.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

While I don't doubt this is going on, it happens with just about forum, I wish you could post examples but that would be against the T&C.

Some people are just A-holes and there's nothing you can do about it.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Indigent
First what is an average member and second who are these evil doers, the bunnys maibe the cats?

In this thread, i consider an average member to be anyone who has been victimised or suffered from such actions perpetrated by members who consider themselves higher than the rest of us.

As members, we aren't allowed to name and shame others, as it is against the T&C's. As such, i am unable to enlighten you, or anyone else, on the individuals who conduct themselves in such ways.

Thanks for reading,

Daas.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I'll say this much, it's a lot easier being a member that's been with ATS for a decade or so, then the new ones. Thankfully, I've been with ATS for close to 3 years now (active member)... New members have uphill climbs always on this site and it's apparent by the things we use to measure member use like Stars/Flags, types of responses you receive, etc... I like Slayer a lot, he is a brilliant member of this community, but he could honestly make a thread about what his poop looks like and it would have 115 flags and numerous stars withing minutes/hours... The point I'm making is that it's much easier to use ATS once you're an established member, because for 1, you will get people who come to your created threads, and 2, members will give you time of day on replies. And 3, you will get replies that are more respectful... And there should be no surprise that the top members dominate conversations, Phage, Slayer, etc.

edit on 4-1-2014 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Lynk3
Thank for you this. I recently uploaded a thread about strange things that happened to me pertaining to meditation, third eye, and brain power, and was immediately told I was mentally ill. The ones supporting me greatly outnumbered that though. Still, it seems that there are too many close-minded folks on an open forum website.

S&F

Thank you for sharing!

It seems as if some people will never learn to respect others.

Thank you for reading, and sharing your experiences.

Daas.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 10:33 AM
link   
As it is against the T&C's to point out individual members, I believe it is withing the T&C's for you to add links to the threads that demonstrate this behavior that is referenced in your OP. That would provide better context of the type of behavior, without singling out specific ATS members by name. Let the reader decide if your interpretation of the interaction is accurate or misunderstood.

That's my advice since I cannot visualize nor wish to assume in this case.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Swills

While I don't doubt this is going on, it happens with just about forum, I wish you could post examples but that would be against the T&C.

Some people are just A-holes and there's nothing you can do about it.

I agree, and i would if it was permitted.

Yeah, that is true. It just sucks to see such a great website get embroiled with such behaviour. :/

Thanks for reading.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I wish i see what you see but its not the case, if you say an opinion on a highly polarized topic lets say gun control there's gonna be always opposition to your point of view, in other cases some people just like to say the op is wrong at all cost doesn't matter what you say, but to say ats is crooked by some mafias trying to oppress the weak
cant say its true.

Your definition of average member sounds like someone butthurt

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Just to play devil's advocate (my favourite game) perhaps you do not have enough facts for your arguments? If I get a hater, I shut them up pretty sharpish with some nicely sourced info.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I would respond but I am simply way to smart to waste my time with idiots. Oh and I am better than you.

(sarcasm)

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Hit the alert button and/or keep records and notify an upper staff member.
I had to do that recently. One member was obsessive with me ... pathologically so, IMHO.
Turn the abuse over to the mods to take care of it.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   

iRoyalty
Just to play devil's advocate (my favourite game) perhaps you do not have enough facts for your arguments? If I get a hater, I shut them up pretty sharpish with some nicely sourced info.

Well, sometimes facts aren't needed if you're sharing a personal experience/opinion. I get what the OP is writing here today, I've seen it on many threads too. Especially with the "did Jesus really exist - actual proof" thread... People in the thread were attacking one another based off a belief, not saying one way was right or wrong, because, as we all know, there are plenty of things that can't be proven in that discussion, but in some areas it turned ugly, instead of respectful discussion.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Indigent
I wish i see what you see but its not the case, if you say an opinion on a highly polarized topic lets say gun control there's gonna be always opposition to your point of view, in other cases some people just like to say the op is wrong at all cost doesn't matter what you say, but to say ats is crooked by some mafias trying to oppress the weak
cant say its true.

Your definition of average member sounds like someone butthurt

Obviously there will always be differing opinions, but it gets to the point where specific members begin to push their luck by either outright insulting someone, or disrupting the member and their material through other means.

I am not saying that ATS is crooked. I am not saying that ATS is involved in any malevolent actions. It is a small few members in specific forums who believe that they are an authoritative figure. Some may not even think that of themselves, but nevertheless, continue to destroy a post or thought of a member...

I am not 'butthurt', i am just sick of seeing these things continue.

Daas.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Indigent
First what is an average member and second who are these evil doers, the bunnys maybe the cats?

edit on 4-1-2014 by Indigent because: typo

Dont blame the cats, we've been otherwise incapacitated since the end of the world.

We're innocent.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   

iRoyalty

The actions of which i am talking about frequently occur in many threads. I would post evidence if it was allowed, but i am sure you know what i am getting at.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Krakatoa

yeah I went in a thread last night and ended up staying awake till 7 am waiting for the cowards to show me how I was the opening poster ... and I will keep waiting too by the looks of it

too right Daas

funBox

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 10:58 AM
link   

FlyersFan

Hit the alert button and/or keep records and notify an upper staff member.
I had to do that recently. One member was obsessive with me ... pathologically so, IMHO.
Turn the abuse over to the mods to take care of it.

Thanks for the input, and suggestions.

That sounds quite frightening.
I hope all is well.

Thanks again.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join