It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mt. Etna 2014

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Here I sit in an ice-and-snow-encrusted world looking at the molten lava..... In the middle Mississippi River valley we're starting to believe that the New IceAge has begun. Everything exposed to the weather has been covered in ice for about 10 days. Like your mountain, it is awesomely grand to behold as the first rays of sunrise light each ice-covered branch and twig. But from experience I know that one wrong puff of wind and one of those majestic, diamond-sprinkled trees could crash into my house.
Thank you for keeping us updated on the lady.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by diggindirt

She's quiet now. Finally. For how long? It seems 'this' eruption she takes a breather and goes right back at it.

I know - maybe she's channeling some underground warmth your way? Oh if I could only command her with a wish.

And yes, it is humbling to know what the difference the change of wind could bring. Sometimes that's hard to wrap my head around - but then that's the butterfly and the cyclone.

Have a wonderful Sunday - my best to you and yours,
~gracie

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Last evening:

A few moments ago:

And this morning? Finally some ash and ‘noise’ - nothing outrageous - but a little more life for sure.

Eyes still open

peace

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Unreal longevity but yes, our Lovely Lady is still at it!

Eyes Open

peace

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Though she’s been quietly chugging along - from her top crater and new crater I need to add a little note here about our Etna.

This morning Etna let go with a huge flow of pyroclastic gas/ash.
That’s the deadly kind. The hot kind. Like the kind that killed so many in Pompeii - instantly for the lucky ones.

There was a landslide between the ‘top’ crater and the new south east crater which caused this deadly flow and though it’s not as common with Etna it happens. A reminder she can and will kill. Instantly and if not instantly, hideously.

It's a little bit of a brain teaser thinking what would have happened if the wind changed direction during this shot.

I be toast. LOL.

Eyes Open

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Ooooooooooooooo.......scary stuff!
I know we keep saying it...but stay safe Gracie.....

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 07:50 AM
link   
If you'd like to see some SPECTACULAR (and scary) photos from the other side visit iEtna.

There's some stunning and again - scary - photos there!

I can't seem to get the link to work. I'll keep trying!

iEtna

Enjoy!

Edit to Add The link is working and well worth visiting for magnificent and dramatic captures!

Eyes Open

edit on 11-2-2014 by silo13 because: see above

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Here's another set of photos and a small story line in English.

Demotix

Unreal stuff!

peace

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 08:44 AM
link   
So do we know if the result of that pyroclastic cloud? Have both vents now formed one massive gaping hole?

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by angelchemuel

What I've heard so far is there's a new vent - but I'm still waiting on more news. I've been checking on and off since this morning.
I don't know why there's such a lack of news - unless it's just that - no news.

I'll let you know as soon as find out more!

peace

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   

WOW!

peace

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   

A (for Etna standards) very large pyroclastic flow descended this morning on the eastern flank from the area of the new vents that opened yesterday on the eastern side beneath the summit of the New SE crater.

Most likely, explosive lava-snow interaction and destabilization of this area where new magma was pushing its way outside caused a sector to collapse and descend the Valle del Bove flank as a hot turbulent avalanche (=pyroclastic flow).

It reached the bottom of Valle del Bove in less than 3 minutes and traveled about 3 km length, which implies an average speed of 60 km/h, with maximum speed probably in excess of 100 km/h (approx. 65 mph).
Volcano Discovery

65MPH. What a RUSH!

peace

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   

silo13

WOW!

peace
I didn't think Etna was supposed to have pyroclastic flows??

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Another new vent at the New SE crater

Another new effusive vent opened up on the eastern side of the New SE crater around 04:00 this morning, erupting a new short-lived lava flow that stopped being active around 09:00.
The following time-lapse video shows the evolution of lava flows from the various vents, as well as pulses of strombolian activity since the start of the ongoing eruptive episode:

Lava emission at the established effusive vents on the lower eastern flank of the New SE crater has dropped or even ceased, the new vent that opened yesterday morning on the upper eastern flank just beneath the summit is becoming more and more active and now feeds a new lava flow. It also produces dense brown ash plumes as a result of lava pushing its way out and meeting snow and ice on its way, resulting in increased fragmentation (so-called phreatomagmatic activity).
Tremor continues to fluctuate strongly at elevated levels.

peace
edit on 11-2-2014 by silo13 because: fix link

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   

A MUST SEE!

And with audio!

For those who can't see this - it's a video of the pyroclastic eruption this morning.

peace

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Nice find1 Thank you Gracie.
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

That video is intense. I spent the entire 1st minute of it talking to my computer, telling the guy filming to, "Get out of there!"

In the last few seconds of the film, panning up toward the summit, it looks like such a massive bulk of material that is unsupported above the top of the valley. I hope it stays in place.

Keep those eyes and ears open, my friend.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Here she is from just a few ago.

Since this shot the wind has really kicked up - it's going to be hard to get more photos.

On the other hand - the moon will help with lighting before too long so I'll head back out - the lava is gorgeous tonight.

Eyes Open

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Just wanted to say thanks again for all the pictures you keep posting for us.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by thesaneone

Thanks for giving me a reason to go out and fight the cold!

Sorry for the shake - it's a combo of me, the wind and emotion.

I'm going to try to head out early (0300 local time) and try for a moon over the eruption shot again - so it's nap time for me.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Eyes Open

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join