It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I think fast food companies should be banned from advertising their products.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   

SearchLightsInc
I must be thick or something... Is that not what were suppose to do when discussing topics on ATS? Just because you've discussed this issue before doesn't mean you can lazy and short sighted in your replies gee'ze.

In opposition to that just because mine or another persons point of view does not mean it is an arrogant post.

You posted a thread, I responded with my opinion which is that it's the responsibility of the individual on how they respond to an ad. If that makes me arrogant , so be it.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   
[qupte]

opethPA

SearchLightsInc
Accountability is all fine and dandy, not disputing that - But what about everyone else?

That goes back to my thinking everyone should be accountable for their own actions.
If you , the guy next to you, the girl down the block can't resist going into a fast food store, clothing store, phone, car dealer, music , insert some other similar location because of advertising then that is a choice they made.

There is always that angle but there is also the notion that advertising is designed up pull people in - which is does successfully - It shouldnt be allowed if those products are harmful in the long run.

Are you one of those people that also think that TV networks shouldn't show horror, violent or adult films because it's bad for people vs someone simply choosing to not put that channel on?

No im not. That is NOT the same thing. Watching a horror film on tv wont give you heart disease in 20 years time.

As for not exploring advertising... what is their to explore? Companies make products or offer services and consumers make choices if they want to purchase what those companies are selling.

Yeah okay i get it, you just wanna run your mouth with your eyes closed - As ive said, ATS has become a dump.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 05:55 PM
link   

opethPA

SearchLightsInc
I must be thick or something... Is that not what were suppose to do when discussing topics on ATS? Just because you've discussed this issue before doesn't mean you can lazy and short sighted in your replies gee'ze.

In opposition to that just because mine or another persons point of view does not mean it is an arrogant post.

You posted a thread, I responded with my opinion which is that it's the responsibility of the individual on how they respond to an ad. If that makes me arrogant , so be it.

Your lack of awareness or care of how advertising may effect society around you is what puts you in the category of the arrogant poster, not your opinion.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 05:55 PM
link   

SearchLightsInc
So what about the parents who dont parent the same way you do? What about the parents who are addicted to fast food and are bringing their children up on the same diets? What then? Are you still condoning advertisements of the food you know is incredibly unhealthy unhealthy for anyone to eat on a regular basis?

What a fallacious appeal! The same can be said for everything. What about soft drinks? What about candy? What about [Insert Here]? Again, this is not the fault of fast food advertising. This is the fault of the parents. They are the ones who need to be held accountable, and if you truly feel that it's so wrong then report these people to the child protection services as the blame falls squarely on the parents.

The bottom line is this: No one is forcing you, or any parent to purchase their food. If Ronald Mc'Donald was holding a gun up to a parents head forcing them to buy a Happy Meal, I'd agree with you. But that's not the case.

Your logic is inane and a good sign of why America has fallen so low as it has. Sorry to be so harsh, but I can't for the life of me fathom why in the world blame advertising of the poor choices of the people who abuse it.

And I dare say the parents who don't raise their children the way I do probably shouldn't be having kids. I'm not saying I'm the best parent, far from it, but at least my kids know values, the difference between right and wrong and the definition of "NO".

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   

SearchLightsInc
There is always that angle but there is also the notion that advertising is designed up pull people in - which is does successfully - It shouldnt be allowed if those products are harmful in the long run.

Who are you to decide what is harmful and what is not?
Im not a fan of fast food, I don't shop in the Gap or any other store because for me personally those things hold no value..
That doesn't mean I should tell you where or how to live.

SearchLightsInc
No im not. That is NOT the same thing. Watching a horror film on tv wont give you heart disease in 20 years time.

Your premise is that advertising sells bad things..
Violence, sex, horror, adult themes sell bad things in the context of a story.

SearchLightsInc
Yeah okay i get it, you just wanna run your mouth with your eyes closed - As ive said, ATS has become a dump.

Wait, I'm the one with the arrogant post?
Let me see if I get this right, someone doesn't agree with you so blah blah blah... cool story.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   

SearchLightsInc
Your lack of awareness or care of how advertising may effect society around you is what puts you in the category of the arrogant poster, not your opinion.

Sorry I disagree..
I believe people should have the right to make an informed choice over you trying to white knight against advertising.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Where is the line and who gets to decide? Always been my question----still looking for an answer.
Personally I despise the Pharma ads. I think they probably add billions to the cost of health care each year but they might save a life here and there.
Sooooo, who gets to decide for me what will be advertised and what will be banned?
What is wrong with taking personal responsibility for YOUR actions and letting others take personal responsibility with theirs? Why do you feel the need to poke your nose into my life? I'm not trying to be rude here but I'm honestly seeking an answer---you say "accountability is all fine and dandy" and yet you are asking someone to take responsibility for your actions when you haven't the discipline to resist adverts?
Please, show me the line and the author of the line and we can discuss this further.
(Full disclosure: I haven't purchased any MicD products for nearly 40 years. Whatever they put into their food makes my fingers look like sausages within 2 hours of consuming it. I just don't do fast food, wasn't raised on it, didn't feed it to my children.)

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by SearchLightsInc

i think you're rather presumptuous and judgmental aren't you? how do you think to know "our" reasoning behind opposing your opinion? my own reasoning is that banning advertising limits a persons choice and choice is most important in decision making, why target fast food for such a thing just because it's unhealthy? you know how to make decisions for yourself do you not? why do others need to have decisions made for them and be hidden away from "bad things" just because people like you presume to know better than everyone else? do you think you're special or something?

oh by the way i never eat fast food or solid food even so i could care less about fast food restaurants or their food or even if they all went out of business. even when i was younger and could still eat solid food and knew nothing of how unhealthy it was or what chemicals were put in it, i never enjoyed it and always had to smother such food in some kind of sauce, i only actually enjoyed fast food restaurants which used fresh ingredients, local restaurants and home made food and even then i never have ate much when i did eat, so i never bothered caring what was in fast food or food in general really.
edit on 31-12-2013 by namehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Auricom
reply to post by SearchLightsInc

Your* laziness is not the fast food companies fault. I dare say it's the reason they exist. You CAN make a home cooked meal in very little time and effort. I don't care much for fast food myself, but will admit I do buy it from time to time when I'm out and about and there's nothing else available. It's a choice we make, not them.

I typically can put together pasta carbonara within fifteen minutes. That's just one food that you can make in a heartbeat. You can make your own home made hamburgers in a jiffy too. Club sandwiches, BLT's and other bread food is also fast.

I do have a problem with advertising, just not fast food advertising. However fashion advertising should be banned. A stick figure is not a woman, and it's directly harmful.

*Not you specifically, but rather everyone.

I have to agree. They have a fridge where you work, even if they don't small insulted lunch bags today keep food fresh, cold, even warm. An mre warmer can warm up any meal in two minutes are available pretty much everywhere today.

I would also like to point out all those fast food places offer food that is good for you. You can have rabbit food at everyone of them, throw in some healthy grilled chicken and a sensible dressing and you can't go wrong period. Each also offer other good for you menu choices.

For me what is worse are ads on TV aimed at young girls or women. For example just watched a weight loss commercial. In credit it did have some regular women who had used product in the commercial. But every so many seconds was flashed young girls skinny flat tummy as if to say here this is what is perfect this is what you need to look like.

No this is not what normal young women have to look like to be beautiful, or anyone. Why couldn't they just stick with the normal people who had used the product. Why do they have to put out the subliminal message that young women need to look this way.

I am raising granddaughter and it is terrible the constant conditioning sick messages attacking these kids today. It is wrong.

The Bot

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by dlbott

I agree with most of your points; except...

Who would insult a lunch bag?

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   

SearchLightsInc

The only thing we "have" to do is abide by the T&C.

No excuses.

None needed. Nobody owes you anything.

Exactly what the problem is with society that revolves around the individual.

Yet, on this issue, you would have it revolve around you and your individual weakness for fast food and you bring it up on ATS and want it discussed on your terms.

I think a good look in the mirror is called for.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   

redhorse
reply to post by dlbott

I agree with most of your points; except...

Who would insult a lunch bag?

Hahahaha, stupid tablet hard to write on and always putting words wrong lol, meant insulated. Lol but there are some that do appear to be insulting the brown baggers lol.

The Bot

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join