It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Advice needed on purchasing a motorcycle

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Schulyer brought up a good point about kick stands melting into asphalt, but the same goes for dirt. You really need a kickass kickstand if you are parking/camping in all sorts of terrain.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 06:11 AM
link   

DrumsRfun
reply to post by denybedoomed

I would go the Enduro route.
Maybe a Suzuki DR 650...alot of fun and easily has enough power.

I ride an Enduro and will never ride anything else,I have rode it through the woods and have taken it off the beaten path many times.

Also,having a kick start is a good option for colder weather.

Agree 100%
I've had many different bikes, but the Enduro's were always my favourit. They're light and can be ridden almost anywhere without having to worry about damage. Most are singles so easy to work on if you do happen to break down. Not great top speed but they really do the biz when you need to overtake something!
Back in the late 70's I travelled most of the uk on a XT500 Yam, it carried me and a friend, and enough luggage for both of us without any effort...the stories I could tell from that trip

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I agree with everyone on here . Get a bike that feels good and a nice seat is a plus. I bought a Yamaha wr250r once just for off road exc duel sport very small hard seat . Car engine blew road it 8 hours to Texas then 6 months daily until I got on my feet 10,000 miles at 2 years old sold bike ...I don't miss that seat ... reply to post by denybedoomed

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I would purchase a dirt bike in the 250 to 500 cc range to learn on and take your test on. You can still keep it for off road fun after you get the Hog for interstate travels. I remember back in the 70's and 80's when a used bike was priced according to the one dollar per cc formula. A 100cc used bike was $100.00, a 200cc bike was $200.00 etc. However I am saddened to see that is no longer the case.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Found a 76 honda 450 for $500 bucks. Not running. Said the jets need flushed. I was only lookin to spend 2 grand at the most. Would this bike be worth it?

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by denybedoomed

don't buy one, and if you do, wear a darn helmet.

Don't tell your mother either.

Unless you want to give her a heart attack.
edit on 18-1-2014 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 10:31 AM
link   

denybedoomed
Found a 76 honda 450 for $500 bucks. Not running. Said the jets need flushed. I was only lookin to spend 2 grand at the most. Would this bike be worth it?

I would never buy a cycle that wasn't working...he said...uh nuh.

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   

denybedoomed

Unless you are working on a restoration project the rule should be:

Not Running? Not Interested.

It could be a simple problem, but it probably isnt. And since you are going to be putting good miles on it.. just get one that is running well, and have your mechanic check it out first (and again before the ride).

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Turns out the battery was fried. So, friends, I bought it up. It's 40 year old, clean, only 17k. Felt that I couldn't pass it up.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 06:33 AM
link   

denybedoomed
Turns out the battery was fried. So, friends, I bought it up. It's 40 year old, clean, only 17k. Felt that I couldn't pass it up.

Congratulations! I love bikes from that era.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

Thanks, I really like the style, in the future when I upgrade I'm gonna look for a similar year.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   

denybedoomed

Thanks, I really like the style, in the future when I upgrade I'm gonna look for a similar year.

The 750cc models from that period were solid performers and economical to maintain. I do not know how parts availability will affect the maintenance these days.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   

I did think of that so I searched a bit and it seems that parts can be found in abundance. So that's good!

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   
The Honda Shadow engines range from 125cc to 1100cc, check that out!

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I don't know what to think. The neighbour said I could borrow his 250 cc any time I want. I don't know whether this is a nice gesture or an insult....250 cc, really?

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join