It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Advice needed on purchasing a motorcycle

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by gdprather

Thanks for the offer, and the advice!

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   

denybedoomed
reply to post by Bigburgh

Yeah, really this whole area (Owens Valley) has spectacular scenery. And as far as in the light said, the road up to the Ancient Bristlecone Forest is a serpentine.

Having lived in Riverside and Reno. I would have killed myself getting from Mira loma to Yosemite..I was also 7. And my driving years in Reno were spent in a jeep with a fishing rod.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Haha, maybe I'll post updates on the way and see if any ATSers are willing to put up a couple guys for the night!

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Yeah, I told my brother there is no way I would want to start off down south (he lives in Pasadena) people down there are just insane on the roads, and motorcyclists are included. I can't imagine riding down there on a daily basis. I mean, these guys split lanes like crazy. I think there's a difference between defensive driving and irresponsible driving, and the line is thin.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   
You could always practice riding via dirt biking, which I did too. A great way to learn fast - how not to wipe out that is.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   

denybedoomed

My cousins ride, but their bikes are freaking huge, just like them.

Well like almost everyone here said. Take the safety course. They provide the bikes. You can't take it home. But they will take the time with you.

edit on 30-12-2013 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   

And my driving years in Reno were spent in a jeep with a fishing rod.

My Enduro driving years had me riding through the woods and parking 4 feet from shore and doing some fishing.
Sticking with my love for Enduros....they go anywhere just like jeeps.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Oh nice, didn't know they provided the bikes, thanks a bunch!

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   

DrumsRfun

And my driving years in Reno were spent in a jeep with a fishing rod.

My Enduro driving years had me riding through the woods and parking 4 feet from shore and doing some fishing.
Sticking with my love for Enduros....they go anywhere just like jeeps.

True. I can't take my bike off road. Fresh oil and chips are a pain too.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   

denybedoomed
reply to post by AliceBleachWhite

I looked into the safety course and big surprise there are none in my immediate area, but I don't mind driving four or five hours to take one.

Don't suppose they let you use "loaners" for the course? Haha

Actually, every riding course I've ever seen that was worth anything only required students to supply their own helmets and gloves.
The motorcycles were provided by the classes.

You may, however, want to call and discuss details with any school/class you're considering.

Granted the bikes provided for the classes are low power and beat up from plenty student abuse, but, they are there so you can learn lessons the hard way in a controlled setting without damaging your own $10k+ vehicle, or to assist you in getting a feel for what you might eventually purchase.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Wait did you say no courses in your area? Nearest is five hours? Sheesh!

Thanks for re quoting that alicebleachwhite. I didn't pick up on that.
edit on 30-12-2013 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   
See if you can scrounge up a Honda Gold Wing model......they are dependable as hell or taxes

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   

denybedoomed
Is there any advice any riders out there can give me concerning this subject?

You've got some great advice in this thread already. I second the suggestions about the riding course and the Goldwing ... for cause.

A two week ride first time out! They call the three day event over here an Iron Butt ride. You need to consider an awful lot more than just what bike you're riding. Make sure you ride at least a hundred miles in any gear you plan to take along with you. Comfort is going to me 'everything' on your trip. Remember that pain is nature's expression of weakness leaving the body. -chuckle-

I ride a Harley. With that comes certain expectations. However, when I'm traveling more than 30 miles without stopping, the 'skid lid' and the bandanna stay in the closet and the full-face is the helmet of choice. You said you weigh 140lbs and you may find that heavy after a day or two.

Good luck ... and ride safe!!

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Snarl

Thanks, man. Two weeks I'm sure will be intense, that's why I'm hoping to get some bikes within the next couple of months and start riding as much as possible (weather permitting) before the ride. We plan on doing weekend rides together with all our potential gear strapped on so we can get a feel for it.

Full face helmet for sure, we're also thinking about some sort of intercom/Bluetooth set up.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   
A huge thanks to everyone for the advice, I sent my brother a link to this thread (maybe he'll join! ) so he could read all the advice as well.

It's really great to have a community that is so open and helpful! Really, you're all so awesome.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Nothing wrong with a 750 or so, especially if you are a beginner on the light side. I rode a Honda 350 for years which was quite adequate. But if you're going on a road trip a little bigger would make it a smoother ride for you. You are right to be concerned about bike size at 140 lbs. I was about 155-160 during my riding years and I dumped every bike I ever owned. Getting big ones up can be a struggle, though I hope you never have to encounter it. (It could be benign. One time I saw a bike parked on new asphalt with a kick stand on a hot day. The kickstand just slowly went through the asphalt and the bike wound up on its side.) On the other hand, I dumped a bike on a wet road once and rode it on top as it slid sideways to a stop. Don't even know how I managed to ride it down, but sure glad I did!

I'm fixating on "road trip" here, and for that you might do well with a windshield and fairing. I can't tell you how much easier a fairing is on the open road. You ride warmer and you don't have to fight the wind. I rode without one for several years (and six motorcycles) before I got one for my last one. It was a much easier ride.

Third, lots of bikes have you hunker down to ride so you lean far forward. Try that for a few hours and see how you feel. My guess is you'll opt for a somewhat straighter ride with better posture. It's not so bad when you're just going across town, but road trips are endurance rides.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

Thanks!

I am definitely looking into a standard bike.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

Thanks for the heads up about fairings, too.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Personally I would look at an older Harley 883, "piglet". Light, good performers, and not too bad on a road trip. If you are really into the biking scene, then something like my first bike would fit the bill, and not get you beaten in a biker bar,
, something like a 1958 Pan Head. At 900 cc not a bad bike and a decent tourer. But you *will* need to spend some time with wrench muscles, to keep it going.

Just my 2cents from on the road with bikes.
LGV

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by LetsGoViking

Thanks.

My cousin has a newer Harley and says repairs are super expensive, tires and whatnot.

Honestly I'd love an old Indian scout, my old man was into them and they just look cool.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join